Luggage weight limits when traveling in the ME

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never flown in this region before. I will be traveling with a standard size carry on and a standard backpack like kids take to school. I'm flying USA to Athens, immediately on to Istanbul, then will be flying to Ankara, back to IST, to Cairo, back and forth between Cairo and Luxor, and finally to Athens before returning. I've checked the baggage weight limits and the lowest for the carry on is 7KG which seems REALLY low, and I travel light. Should I expect to be be charged at some of these airports, and if so is it highway robbery? Also, one airline does not specifically mention backpacks as an acceptable additional carry on, which I thought was strange and I'm not sure if that might be a problem. Thank you for any info.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By "standard size" carry-on do you mean US standard? I.e. 22 inches? The standard in Europe is 20 inches and that's likely the case elsewhere. You need to read the regulations for each airline, for size as well as weight, and expect to check the larger bag. The airlines will also tell you what the excess charge will be if you don't arrange to check a bag when you reserve.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 05:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Also, one airline does not specifically mention backpacks as an acceptable additional carry on, which I thought was strange "

Not strange at all really. Many low cost airlines are VERY strict and one is only allowed one carryon (size varies by airline and is usually smaller than standard US carry ons ) and a small personal item. A back pack or even a daypack may be too large to qualify as a personal item. And some budget airlines allow just one item - not a carry on + personal item but one only.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A “standard backpack like kids take to school” is usually fairly small, although I’ve seen some small children with backpacks nearly as large as them. A small backpack would be acceptable with any airline as long as it falls within the weight limits. I take a backpack of similar size because I can stow it under the seat in front of me, allowing easy access to medicines, my iPad and other items during the flight. It also saves the struggle of retrieving your carry-on from the overhead compartment at the end of the flight.
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Heimdall
A “standard backpack like kids take to school” is usually fairly small, although I’ve seen some small children with backpacks nearly as large as them. A small backpack would be acceptable with any airline as long as it falls within the weight limits. I take a backpack of similar size because I can stow it under the seat in front of me, allowing easy access to medicines, my iPad and other items during the flight. It also saves the struggle of retrieving your carry-on from the overhead compartment at the end of the flight.
But one really needs to check the rules for each specific airline. Just for one example - easyJet allowsone item only if booked regular coach. It can be a small carry on (45 x 36 x 20 cm/ 17.7 X 14 X 7.8 in), or a day pack or just a small handbag -- whatever you choose - but only one item. If booked in the higher fare 'Extra legroom' or 'Up Front' seats, a 2nd larger carry on ( 22X17X7.8" ) is allowed.