covid tests for travel

Search

covid tests for travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2021, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
covid tests for travel

We are traveling to Italy in two weeks. I'm beginning to get confused by the different covid tests and what is required for travel. We have a rapid antigen test scheduled prior to leaving the US (48 hours before travel) and an LFD test scheduled via qured prior to return to the US. I don't believe either are PCR tests though. Will that be sufficient to get us in and out? I also wrote to the concierge at our last hotel in Rome about help getting a test but have not heard back. Advice appreciated.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 07:27 AM

The rules changes while I was there so I haven’t needed to check the new ones, but I’d be careful about “48 hours before travel” vs. “48 hours before arrival”. It could well be the latter, And if so, you’d be wise to plan for flight delays so as to still be within your window. If it were me, I’d take the rapid test the day before.
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 04:17 PM

Can you find the thread below that whitehall started? You need to have a rapid COVID antigen (or some other kind?) taken NO LATER than 72 hours before your ARRIVAL in Italy. So, keep the time change in mind!
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Susan and MinnBeef, I am clear about the time parameters, what I'm confused about is does it need to be a PCR test or is a rapid antigen test ok, and Qured said they were too overbooked to do the PCR tests, but were doing the LFD. Is that the same as the antigen test? Will it be accepted for re-entry? thanks
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 08:46 PM

When last I checked the websites about returning to the US, both the Antigen and the PCR tests were accepted, but I agree with checking whitehall's thread. We leave for Italy Monday if all goes well, and I ordered the Abbott/Binax tests through Emed, which are proctored (by video) at-home tests; we will do them the day before we go.

We have lots of options for testing around here, and through Emed I got 6 tests for $150. Mostly, I got them to get back into the US, since our flight from Naples leaves at 6 a.m. and we are not sure about getting tests in Naples or in Ravello where we will be staying until the day before.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Have a great time Annw - we leave a week later - perhaps our paths will cross. Looking forward to reading your trip report.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 08:29 AM

You too, Laura!
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 12:36 PM

Don't forget the COVID test required to return to the U.S. We got ours in rural France, and were directed to a pharmacy in Caen by the owner of the chateau where we stayed. Actually, the pharmacy redirected us to a laboratory office, and those people in turn sent us to an open-air tent testing site down the road. We then took the test tubes with our swabs back to the laboratory, where they were processed and paper results available the next day. (We could have gotten them online, but we couldn't navigate the French-only lab website.) You are allowed three calendar days. Cost for both of us was about $100, for a PCR (straight to the brain) test, although a rapid test is also allowed if you can find it.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:05 PM

do I need PCR test if i got vaccine?
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by karencoller0250
do I need PCR test if i got vaccine?
To return to the US? Yes, you have to get a test, regardless of vaxx status. It can be a rapid test, or in several other forms, so not necessarily a PCR. That's just what was available to us in rural France. The Europeans don't use the rapid test for much, so it might be easier to get the PCR, albeit uncomfortable. It IS more accurate, so you have less chance of a false positive. Allow time for a PCR, but you have a 3 day window.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 08:36 AM

Just back from Amsterdam
We did the virtually proctored antigen test via eMed. Took 20 mintues each.
We only bought 1 test per person & it was enough.

Every airport we passed thru was offering PCR testing with 1.5 hour results as well.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

got it figured out

Thanks all, we have ourselves double/trippled covered - the take with you tests as well as a cvs rapid test on the Sat before we leave and an airport appt scheduled in case that falls through. On the way home, we will bring the telemed test with us, but also contacted the concierge at our last hotel and he said he could set up a test for us as well if needed.

I'll keep you posted, enjoy your travels
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 04:15 AM

I am currently taking a test with Emed and my first test was inconclusive. So I am doing my second one right now. The control line never turned to pink on the first one. I am glad I brought two.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

hope it all came out ok Paqngo (great name!) and that you are safely home.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 06:27 PM

lauramsgarden- Thankfully the 2nd one worked and was negative. We flew home Thursday. The worst thing was having to wear our mask for about 17 hours.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

glad you are safely home, we leave tomorrow!
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by lauramsgarden
glad you are safely home, we leave tomorrow!
Have a great time!