Worth going in the next year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All kinds of stories about packed planes over the summer. Also stories about huge increases in hotel rates and rental car rates, long queues in restaurants, etc.

Also locals hostile to tourists.

I had considered going in May or June, to Oahu and Kauai -- having only been to Maui. But the rates started going up and then Europe signaled that they would open up to Americans this summer so I took 3 trips to Europe over the summer.

I've been tracking airfares and they're down to where they were last spring before they shot up for the summer, with everyone trying to get into Hawaii. This would be for late January to early February.

But the hotel rates are still very high and so are the car rentals.

Guess demand will always be high even in winter months as people from cold weather states and Canadians look to escape the cold. Also the rental car situation won't improve any time soon.

Has anyone been in the past year?
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am not traveling yet. I just don't want the extra hassles. Then limitations upon arrival. I'm in Seattle so Oahu is always a good place for me. I'd usually be planning a Nov. trip by now but am waiting a bit longer as in next spring or later. Everything is just too much in 'crisis mode'. For me, I don't need a vacation that bad. But it can be done. Plenty of people are making it happen... mask up, get vaxxed, get tested, etc. etc.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 02:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

To Hawaii? No, gave up on Hawaii years ago. If I'm going to jump through the COVID hoops, it'll be for somewhere outside the US.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 02:04 PM

Also locals hostile to tourists.

While I have not traveled since the pandemic (last trip Nov '19 in Waikiki) I feel confident to say depends where you go and what you do. I feel fairly certain within Waikiki you would be unlikely to encounter "hostile" attitude unless it was a one-off street person kind of encounter or you tried to surf someone's wave (just kidding).

I don't need a car for solo on Oahu myself. Hoping to travel by next year but not yet making reservations. Things are still changing month by month for restrictions and rules. Hoping for that to calm down by next year, would make me more comfortable making plans. I don't feel the need to plan way ahead, because I know which airline I fly and which hotel(s) I'd stay at, so can plan a trip quickly. I know others might need more lead time.

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Well they're going through their delta wave with the hospitals full. I've been monitoring a couple of FT threads.

Looks like they are telling people not to come now or were a couple of weeks ago. But they're not putting up more travel restrictions, though I think they limited some restaurants and public venues.

Some suspect the governor will keep things open because the hotels want it and they supposedly backed him in the past.

Unless there's another big variant even worse than delta, the hope is things calm down. For a period, they were very low in cases and then they couldn't avoid delta. However, they say that most of the cases are community spread or residents catching from the mainland and bringing it back. They said from contact tracing only 1-2% from out of state tourists.

Also the story was that the big resorts are jacking up prices, even if they have a certain amount of vacancies, just to take advantage of the demand and people willing to pay higher prices.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 06:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Melnq8

To Hawaii? No, gave up on Hawaii years ago. If I'm going to jump through the COVID hoops, it'll be for somewhere outside the US.
DW and I have purchased tickets to/from HNL in early November. We have reserved a rental car. As it stands now, we have to show our vaccine cards and say where we are staying. We have a daughter and son in law that we haven't seen in more than 2 years. They moved from Maryland to Oahu last November. As an RN, our daughter has treated many Covid patients in both Baltimore and Queens Hospital in Honolulu.
Ten days in Hawaii will be a good break before returning for a long cold winter in Oregon.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 07:44 AM

We went to the BI for ten days in May. We stayed in a condo and got a good rate. We reserved a rental car early through Costco and got a decent price on it.

We didn't eat out much so I don't know whether there were long waits in restaurants. It wasn't very crowded or busy when we went.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Yeah I had looked at dates in May and early June and then it just flipped at some point and the rates went crazy.

Also looked at going to Iceland in early June too.

Then Europe opened up and it was a much better value -- and really my first choice anyways. That and I had a lot of hotel credits from trips I couldn't take in 2020.

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 02:42 PM

I'm planning a trip for the period after Thanksgving and before mid December, taking advantage of low airfares. I've been able to book car rentals so far, except I couldn't find a car in Lihue on 11/30. I'm not going to Maui, and am doing Big Island through Hilo instead of Kona.

Hawaii is nonstop from Long Beach so easier for me than Europe. I went to Europe too much in the '80s and '90s and have little interest in returning. I think the trip I did a few years ago will be the last one there.

I'm sure Hawaii will be a shock for me. The last time I went my nephew was a toddler, so probably about 1990. We had a condo at Poipu Shores, and they hadn't even built the big Hyatt yet.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 20th, 2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 07:06 PM

I'm watching how things are going in Hawaii regarding the pandemic, but have not made any definite plans yet. My last trip was Nov '19 to Oahu. I'd love to return this November but feel it's too soon (only because I really don't want the extra hassles, capacity limits, cancelled events, masks, testing, etc.) but am keeping an eye on May/June 2022 or fingers crossed that by fall next year things will be more normal than they are now.

Plenty of people are traveling already, as is shown by the problems with rental cars, dinner reservations, no tickets for a luau etc.

The forums for each island on Trip Advisor have lots of trip reports from people who are traveling now.

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 07:21 PM

Then Europe opened up and it was a much better value -- and really my first choice anyways.

scrb11~ So you are booking Europe instead?
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Then Europe opened up and it was a much better value -- and really my first choice anyways.

scrb11~ So you are booking Europe instead?
I went to Europe over the summer when I was thinking of going to Hawaii in May or early June.

Just comparing hotels in Kauai say with Wenger in February, a lot of places are already booked up in Wenger yet the ones remaining are better values or just generally lower in price. Obviously extremes between tropical and winter.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the background (sorry I wasn't following!).
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

So on Kauai, I see a couple of AirBnbs which seem reasonable. A lot of places jack up various fees so they're like 50% of the listed per-night fees, so say there's a $200 a night place. Well the total comes to $1200 for 4 nights.

In any event, most of the lower-priced places, those under $200 a night not including fees, show up in Princeville.

There are also a couple around Kaa'pa but almost none down in Poipu.

Seems to a first-time visitor, Kaa'pa would be the most convenient location for getting around to different sites. Princeville is far removed from the southern part of the island. I'm mostly thinking of Waimea Canyon. Looks like it would cost $10 per car and $5 per person.

However, even from Poipu, it would be almost an hour drive versus 2 hours from Princeville? There are tours where they pick you up, but only as far away as Kaa'pa. However apparently these tours are suspended because of covid.

Hmm, looks like in addition to travel restrictions for people from out of state, there might be restrictions on specific sites.
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 07:17 AM

I have a few airbnbs booked, and also a friend offered his family place for several nights on the Big Island if it is available. I have never been as far as Kapaau before so that will be interesting if it works out.

Yes on Kauai there are new restrictions to be aware of, such as a need for a reservation at Kilauea Lighthouse. It may be that some of the hiking trails in Kokee State Park are closed, and reaching some of the other popular areas requires a reservation.

I am staying in Princeville, Kapaa has gotten very expensive since Sheraton took over Coconut Beach, but you could try Hotel Coral Reef.
Even the old Tip Top Motel which honestly isn't even as nice as a Motel 6, is over $150 a night with taxes.
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, fares I've been watching have been edging up.

United has two nonstop flights to Lihue from SFO, one is departing in the morning and the other is departing at 6:30-7 PM at night. The morning flight has much higher fare.

I guess if I want it badly enough, I have to bite the bullet. Either save a couple of hundred leaving at night and paying for costly lodgings with the first night you just arrive and drop on the bed or pay more for airfare and arrive in the afternoon, have time to do something that first day.

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 02:05 PM

We went to the BI in August and it was great. We got decent airfare and rental car prices had come down to pretty much normal. Earlier in the summer there were shortages and high prices for rental cars, but when we went, there were plenty of cars on the lots. We had to upload our vaccination info to the Safe Travels web site and show that before boarding the plane, but that was straightforward and easy.

We didn't experience any hostility from anyone when we were there. Everybody was fine - just normal behavior from people like you would expect anywhere.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by november_moon
We went to the BI in August and it was great. We got decent airfare and rental car prices had come down to pretty much normal. Earlier in the summer there were shortages and high prices for rental cars, but when we went, there were plenty of cars on the lots. We had to upload our vaccination info to the Safe Travels web site and show that before boarding the plane, but that was straightforward and easy.

We didn't experience any hostility from anyone when we were there. Everybody was fine - just normal behavior from people like you would expect anywhere.
Our experience on Maui in late August was similar. Do make restaurant reservations way in advance if you’re going during any high season (the first week we were there there were hour-long waits at restaurants that did not take reservations, but waits dropped off noticeably the second week).
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Still been looking at this.

Fares aren't too bad but the hotels and rental cars are crazy.

It seems like about $400 a night when you add up all the taxes and resort fees and parking. A bit less with Airbnb but not much less.

And most of these properties are nothing special either.

A 10-day trip in February, split between Oahu and one other island, would come to at least $7000. Or cut about $900 if flying coach.

I've spent about the same for a 2-3 week trip to Australia or New Zealand.

Europe for 10 days would be less, though obviously wouldn't have Hawaiian weather in February.

Thinking it's not worth it for a short trip, in the offseason without optimal weather.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 03:22 PM

You might want to head south to St. Lucia. No jet lag, lower prices and just as fantastic scenery.

Last edited by PrairieHikerII; Nov 27th, 2021 at 03:27 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -