Rome. Picking hotel

Search

Rome. Picking hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome. Picking hotel

Hi! I'll be 4 nights in rome with myboyfriend, we're both around 30. We're torn between two b&b. Prize and accommodation are pretty similar, but one of them is located one block away from Piaza Popolo, and the other one is in Via Milano 40. Which one would be better based on location? I want it to be close to the main sites (we much prefer walking than taking the bus) and also not too noisy at night.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is where a map helps. Locate each B&B and several main sites, say the Colosseum/Forum, the Vatican, and the Spanish Steps. Now you will know if a B&B is near any of them. Then look at the streets the B&B's are on. If they are long or wide, they will be noisy (loud motor scooters are ubiquitous in Rome). Planning is fun!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 03:35 PM

Looking at a map, I think the location on Via Milano is better. I would also try to check reviews of each place to help with your decision.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Sure, I've looked at the map, but I wanted some inside opinion from people who already knows Rome, since its my first time visiting
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 08:56 PM

Piazza del Popolo one block north? South? East? West? If it's south it's closer to the sites than if it's north. West would be closer to the Vatican but further away from everything else. East would just on the fringe.

When you pull up the map mark all the sites you're interested in and then start planning walking routes. Rome is spread out enough that no one location is perfect for everything . If your main interest was the Vatican you might want to stay up there but if you had no interest in the Vatican it's unlikely you'd pick a location near the Vatican.

Having said that the Vatican to the Colosseum is little more than an hour on foot. That's likely the most extreme stroll most people will take. Anything in between is closer.

Noise is heavily dependent on building construction. Windows and walls aren't all alike.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 09:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you post links to each of the two hotels you're considering?
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 11:41 AM

Hi carolinadr, I personally liked the Popolo area a bit more. My late DH and I took a little bus from there all the way to the Lateran church. We took the tram and buses but map shows Spagno metro closer. We took a nice walk from Piazza Navona to there. We walked along the Tiber for a bit. Via Milano might be more quiet. Please report back!

Last edited by TDudette; Sep 17th, 2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 01:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always check Google Street View. One apt. in Rome advertised quiet neighborhood. Google Street View revealed apt was on a busy street with buses going by. Chose another location.