Transit thru Amsterdam

Search

Transit thru Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transit thru Amsterdam

Has anyone done this recently? I'm told there will be special waiting lounges for people connecting to other flights, to avoid covid tests and requirements, but I'm wondering if these lounges have food and drink? I'll be in one for 3 hours. The airport website talks about food and drink, and stores, in their lounges, but I can't tell if they're talking about these waiting lounges?
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Podie
Has anyone done this recently? I'm told there will be special waiting lounges for people connecting to other flights, to avoid covid tests and requirements, but I'm wondering if these lounges have food and drink? I'll be in one for 3 hours. The airport website talks about food and drink, and stores, in their lounges, but I can't tell if they're talking about these waiting lounges?
I have transited thru AMS several times this year, most recently today. Have not seen anything like you describe. Where did the info about special waiting lounges comes from? Passport control was heaving with people, the airport looked as busy as pre Covid.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 02:24 AM
J62

No idea about the actual situation at AMS, but it might depend on your origin and final destination. - whether or not your are flying strictly within Schengen zone, entering Schengen, or transiting through AMS without entering....

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I'm flying on KLM, and somewhere on their website I was linked to a description of arrival and departure lounges for transiting passengers. Yes, you go through passport control, but supposedly these lounges keep you from going anywhere else in the airport. It'll be great if that's incorrect and I can at least get something to eat and drink during my waiting time.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 05:59 AM

I'm flying on KLM, and somewhere on their website I was linked to a description of arrival and departure lounges for transiting passengers. Yes, you go through passport control, but supposedly these lounges keep you from going anywhere else in the airport. It'll be great if that's incorrect and I can at least get something to eat and drink during my waiting time.
Interesting. Looks like I didn’t read the emails from KLM. I travelled on KLM yesterday thru AMS & went thru passport control which took ages (non schengen to schengen) and the airport was almost normal ie crowded busy with shops open. Ran out of time to go to the lounge and went straight to the gate where people were waiting to board. I’ve done this trip 3/4 times this year & its never been different.

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 06:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you just talking about the regular KLM / Sky Team Lounges -- not specifically for segregating transit passengers. They are the normal Lounges - not everyone has access. Not sure about KLM, but for instance AA's Admirals Clubs are open to paid members, some high level One World frequent flyers, and those flying international First or Business class.

Edit: I just looked up KLM/AMS and found this. You’re welcome in our lounges if you’re a First Class or Business Class passenger, a Flying Blue Platinum or Gold member, or a SkyTeam Elite Plus passenger. Like to invite a guest? Check out our lounge access policy for all details.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 07:37 PM

What are your origin and destination airports?
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus
What are your origin and destination airports?
JFK New York to Zagreb, Croatia
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 02:29 PM

Seems like they are using the word "lounge" two different ways. Airline lounge and departure lounge

."There are two KLM Crown lounges at Schiphol.Lounge 25 is located in the Schengen area, on the second floor of Lounge 1 opposite the D-pier. Opening hours are 06:00 to 14:00."

It says Lounge 25 is on the second floor of Lounge 1. And then this map:

amsterdam-airport-map.pdf (amsterdam-advisor.com)

The departures & lounges part of that map show Lounges 1 through 4 and there is food all over. A different area, Holland Boulevard, is between Lounge 2 and Lounge 3.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Sep 14th, 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I'm hoping there will be no restrictions during my layover other than don't leave the lounges.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 07:14 AM

Thanks, everyone! I'm hoping there will be no restrictions during my layover other than don't leave the lounges.
There aren’t any restrictions at all, like I said, I went thru AMS from non Schengen to Schengen a few days ago & a few times earlier this year.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you may be misunderstanding what the lounges are. In your OP you mention being told of special 'quarantine' lounges, and other things like there being retail stores in the lounges -- who told you that (or provide a link if you read it on line)?
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 08:29 AM

Please post your experience passing through AMS. We will be connecting in AMS in December when we fly to Barcelona from the US. I’d like to know how it goes for you.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by halfapair
Please post your experience passing through AMS. We will be connecting in AMS in December when we fly to Barcelona from the US. I’d like to know how it goes for you.
I passed thru AMS a week ago. Nothing to tell, it was “normal”, no herding into special waiting lounges, airport was very busy, lines were long at immigration. Airport lounge for KLM FF was open as has been on my last trips.

I passed thru AMS 4 times earlier this year. Nothing to report.

I will pass thru AMS in 2 weeks time. I don’t expect anything unusual.

I will pass thru AMS at Xmas & NY.

Just need to keep an eye on COVID tests/vaccination requirements in case those change for transit passengers.

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 09:03 PM

<< passed thru AMS a week ago. Nothing to tell, it was “normal”, no herding into special waiting lounges, airport was very busy, lines were long at immigration..>>

Oh lord, I've got a tight connection at AMS (SFO-AMS-MXP) a week from tomorrow and was already sweating.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 09:19 PM

as per what i know

Transit passengers: Allowed
COVID-19 test: Not required

Follow the latest and weekly updates and trends. so we can know better how to plan while visiting.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by annw
<< passed thru AMS a week ago. Nothing to tell, it was “normal”, no herding into special waiting lounges, airport was very busy, lines were long at immigration..>>

Oh lord, I've got a tight connection at AMS (SFO-AMS-MXP) a week from tomorrow and was already sweating.
it went fine—plenty time f time to walk the mile to connecting flight and passport control not bad.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by annw
it went fine—plenty time f time to walk the mile to connecting flight and passport control not bad.
Mine was ok as well on the return flight. Hardly anyone at passport control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -