Trips mandating Covid vaccine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any places, hotels, resorts, etc who are restricted to only those who are vaccinated? I see places that allow the unvaccinated to get tested, so not a vaccine mandate.
We’d love to get away to a warm climate this winter, but poor vaccination rates make it look doubtful. A US road trip to the southern US is out.
Aren’t there any travel options for those who want to go where everyone has been vaccinated? There are plenty of us who could fill that market.
At this point, I’d consider a charter flight and resort hotel for a vacation, to decrease the chance of my getting or spreading Covid.
Any ideas?
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Except for perhaps an adults only cruise ship or adults only resort I don't see how what you want is possible (but even those would allow those with antibodies). Since AFAIK nowhere in the world has mandated vaccines to under 16's or under 12's . . . Besides . . . if you are fully vaccinated, what does it matter to you if others might not be. If the vaccine works, unvaccinated peeps really only endanger other unvaccinated people.

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Except for perhaps an adults only cruise ship or adults only resort I don't see how what you want is possible (but even those would allow those with antibodies). Since AFAIK nowhere in the world has mandated vaccines to under 16's or under 12's . . . Besides . . . if you are fully vaccinated, what does it matter to you if others might not be. If the vaccine works, unvaccinated peeps really only endanger other unvaccinated people.
Vaccine is not 100%. Delta is a game changer. There are many cases now of vaccinated people getting COVID with some dying, so we are kind of back to square one, needing masks and social distancing as well as vaccine. It is a good question. There are a few cruises now that require 100% vaccination and no young children or people who cannot be vaccinated are allowed to sail. This may be based on the requirements of the ports the ship is stopping in. One ship with 100% requirement is Carnival Magic. I was surprised because some Carnival cruises are not requiring any vaccinations.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 01:35 AM

Norwegian is also allowing only 100% vaccinated passengers and no children too young to be vaccinated are allowed to sail on most cruises through the end of the year.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 06:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Vaccine is not 100%. "

Of course it isn't. But nothing is 100% guaranteed (except everyone will die eventually). If one wants to wait until there is 100% certainty no one should ever travel again (or leave their homes for that matter). Think about it -- because even the vaccines aren't 100% effective, any travel at all would be unsafe??? . . . . Which is not the case IMO. My only personal roadblock re traveling now is that to get anywhere overseas I want to visit would require 25-30 hours door-to-door masked while in transit on flights and public transport (except for the few minutes actually drinking or actively eating onboard)
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viking requires vaccinations, and only takes over 18s.

The small American river cruises also require vaccinations, I believe.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:24 AM

For cruises, the consequences for all passengers and crew is huge, so the company has to minimize risk, but again, I think in some cases, it is port requirements. Of course everything has risk, but if it can be mitigated, why not comply? Exposure to one person somewhere is one thing. Exposure to large groups in close quarters is quite another. Why expose yourself to more risk than necessary? Requiring everyone to be vaccinated seems to be a reasonable precaution.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Since September, Turks & Caicos only allow fully vaccinated individuals (adults) to enter.

https://www.visittci.com/travel-info/tci-assured
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 02:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Oaxaca state in Mexico may be worth investigating. If the restrictions are indeed enforced as propsed. The resort area of Huatulco would be included.
https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/09/...-tourists/?amp
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 03:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Aren’t there any travel options for those who want to go where everyone has been vaccinated?

*Everyone* is a big ask. Maybe within a specific hotel or resort or cruise ship or tour. But generally, no, not for a town, city, or country.

Interesting to read above one Caribbean island is instituting that policy.

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 06:46 PM

There seem to be a number of exceptions to the “100%” vaccination policies, which leave a lot of openings still for COVID to spread.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 07:20 AM

While there are a number of countries which require tourists to be vaccinated, remember that local residents may not be, nor children.

But at least proof of vaccine or a negative test may reduce the risk of transmission on the aircraft or on arrival at the immigration lines. The latter is probably the bigger risk IMO.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, All. Cruises just have a whole other set of issues.
It just seems that a specific destination could restrict staff and guests to vaccinated only. Such as a resort in the Adirondacks or other mountain destination. Maybe an arranged group travel charter to an all inclusive island resort.
There are plenty of options for unvaccinated, why not offer something for those who want a safer option?
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 12:02 PM

<There are plenty of options for unvaccinated, why not offer something for those who want a safer option?>
Sounds like good idea for a website.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dc1950
Thanks, All. Cruises just have a whole other set of issues.
It just seems that a specific destination could restrict staff and guests to vaccinated only. Such as a resort in the Adirondacks or other mountain destination. Maybe an arranged group travel charter to an all inclusive island resort.
There are plenty of options for unvaccinated, why not offer something for those who want a safer option?
We would definitely go for that, especially a charted flight of all vaccinated. Combine that with a cruise of all fully vaccinated to restricted locations, and yes, we would likely do it, maybe wait until this surge of COVID has calmed down though. There are some ships not taking children under 12. I know that is difficult for some families, but it would be my preference if we then did not have to wear masks.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 12:51 AM

Denmark have just lifted all remaining COVID restrictions as of yesterday (except border control) they don’t consider the epidemic to be a serious threat anymore due to their high vaccination levels.

Vaccination rates in T&C are about 60% of local population. Unfortunately mask wearing in the aircraft, although mandatory was not enforced by cabin crew which was uncomfortable to say the least, immigration lines everyone wore them as that was enforced.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 05:37 AM

Cayman Islands is doing even better.

Jamaica, OTOH is abysmal, which is something I was warned about by a friend who goes home every year.

As far as the Caribbean, or anywhere for that matter, it's probably worth looking at the various resources on vaccine rates as well as the State Department recommendations

Jamaica Do not Travel, Cayman Islands/T&C Reconsider Travel.

There are only a handful of countries with minimal cautions, probably because they restrict tourism through quarantines, etc..

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 12th, 2021 at 05:43 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a fine idea. Someone should do it! The bus to mountain resort thing seems most practical. Anything involving airports/planes has a bigger challenge.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 06:41 PM

Another challenge would be what qualifies as 100% vaccinated? For example, in our case, we'll likely be getting the 2da Astrazeneca jab in about a month. Hopefully. Which, according to Mexico standards means 100% vaccinated. But will the US recognize that as 100% since it's not been FDA approved? Likewise with many Mexicans (or who knows where else) that received Sinovac or Sputnik?
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Besides . . . if you are fully vaccinated, what does it matter to you if others might not be. If the vaccine works, unvaccinated peeps really only endanger other unvaccinated people.
People are right to be cautious with Delta. And to think about what feels safe to them.

I know now three people who are vaccinated who were breakthrough cases. It does happen. One of the three is over age 70; she ended up in the ICU-- surrounded by unvaxxed folks. The other two are younger and had mild cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -