Search

Double nationality travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2021, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double nationality travel

Hi,

I will be travelling from France to Dublin soon and I have a question regarding the passport.
I have two nationalities (British and French), nevertheless my French ID card is outdated, I can therefore only use my British passport to travel. I currently live and work in France.

I tried to get in touch with the French embassy in Dublin but they are impossible to reach unfortunately.

The Irish embassy in France has confirmed that I will have no problem to travel from France to Dublin but they are quite unsure in regards of the return trip.

Do you think I will have issues coming back to France with my British passport? I should be heading back before the end of September.

Thank you for all your help.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 09:27 AM
P_M

If you can't renew your French ID card then you need to keep trying to find a way to ask the French Embassy. We are not the experts and this question is very important. Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 03:00 AM
J62

just throwing out ideas here....

I would try to get the french ID problem fixed before you leave France.... Are there local offices that issue IDs? I have not idea how the French system works... Local city hall, police department, etc may give you some insight on how to renew the ID quickly... Maybe you could get a temporary ID that bridges you until you get the permanent one.

Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 12:27 PM

I"m just guessing but I don't know why the Irish embassy in France thought you'd have problems, but not sure why you called them as you aren't Irish. Unless there is something you aren't mentioning here, perhaps. Such as that you are not vaccinated.

If I understand it, you are a French citizen (as I think only citizens can get the national identify card, not just residents, correct?) but have never bothered to get a French passport and have not bothered to keep or National Identity card updated, which is free. That is a problem, I would think you would have trouble just doing stuff in France with no national ID. I mean stuff a resident might want to do, not tourist.

I do not understand why you think you couldn't enter France. If you are vaccinated. Anyone in the EU and UK who is vaccinated is allowed into France, from what I've ? So anyone with an British passport who can prove they've been vaccinated (if you live in France, I would presume you are and have the Pass Sanitaire activated,don't you?) is allowed in. These are the rules
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...ce/#sommaire_1

This sounds like maybe a typical immigration question if the issue is you are going to represent yourself as not just visiting but wanting to stay and you cannot prove you are a legal resident/citizen. And you think they will not believe you are a tourist as then you'd be ok if you are vaccinated? Or maybe you aren't vaccinated.

I suggest you not travel until you take the time to renew your identity card and get a passport, also (unless they don't allow passports to dual citizens, I have no idea, everyone I know who is a dual citizen has passports from both countries). I know they aren't mandatory but seems like a good idea if you want to travel outside the country. I presume you know how to get a French Identify Card, they changed the format and the new type was rolled out beginning of August 2021. tghey say it only takes 7-21 days, you could have had it by now.

And if you aren't vaccinated, you'd have trouble with transportation anyway, in France, I thought, so don't know how you'd travel.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 08:16 AM

I would try to get the national ID card renewed before you leave France. I know there has been some issues with the CNI, production delays but not sure if that is still the case. Do you not use www.service-public.fr? How long ago did you ID card expire? Can you enter France on an expired CNI?

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...N358#0_0_1_0_1 (you can look up the mairies that can issue the CNI)
https://passeport.ants.gouv.fr/

I would think if you enter France on a British passport you will be subject to the Schengen rules and your passport will be stamped.

Old Sep 7th, 2021, 09:40 AM

I noticed that in the link that Christina gave that the France entry requirements are based on the country the traveler is entering from. Ireland is EU, so a "green" country. Nationality is not an issue. Residence is not an issue - the certification exemption does not apply to the OP. The purpose of travel is not mentioned.

OP can get an EU Digital COVID Certificate in France or Ireland.

How are the hurdles the OP has to jump for the return trip any different from those that apply for the trip from France to Ireland?

gov.ie - EU Digital COVID Certificate (www.gov.ie)

The EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) is proof (in digital or paper format) that you have either:
  • been vaccinated against COVID-19 or
  • received a negative COVID-19 test result or
  • recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months
Your free Digital COVID Certificate will help you to travel safely and more easily within the EU during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Sep 7th, 2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 11:23 AM

The Irish embassy didn't say the OP would have problems. They were "unsure". They simply can't/must not/shouldn.t advise a British or French citizen about entry requirements for France.

>>Can you enter France on an expired CNI?
That is a good question - for French authorities. Maybe there is a covid waiver but the answer in normal times would probably be "no". It may have been revoked by a judicial or administrative process. That is, a person can lose their French citizenship/residency and not be able to get it back.

But, the answer could be "yes", depending on issue date. If the CNI was issued less than 15 years ago then it is still valid even if the expiration date has passed. This is according to wikipedia, so check with the French authority on this.

OP could contact the French embassy in Dublin about getting the CNI renewed and/or passport issued while in Ireland. But, the need is not immediate, AFAIK.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 12:15 AM

Everything the OP needs are the in links I provided. Most French citizens know or have access to service-public.fr where you can renew CNI or find out how to do it, at which mairie etc, and ants.gouv.fr where you can find out the progress of your application.

CNI renewals at some Consulates were taking longer than passports due to some production issues. Passports were taking about 2-3 weeks and CNI about 5 weeks +. And you need to make an appointment at the Embassy for the renewal, appointments are sometimes difficult to get.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F32303