Search

Canary Islands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canary Islands

My wife and I (age 59) are planning a trip to southern Spain in April of 2022. We would like to start off with a beach/hiking vacation on the Canary Islands. We are looking for a location with a vibrant small town feel with restaurants and some beaches. We do not want to go to any of the big resort/all inclusive types of spots. Would love some recommendations. We are assuming that the weather will be nice and warm at that time of year.
Thanks
John
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Can't help with the Canary Islands - never been. But just an FYI, on Fodors, threads about the Canaries reside on the Africa & the Middle East Forum.

Posting here is fine because they are an autonomous Spanish territory and lots of Europeans holiday there. But you might want to also post (and search for info) on the Africa Board.
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks vey much will do
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 11:35 PM

Personally I wouldn't call April warm on the islands. OTOH if somebody from the UK wanders by they'll tell you it's hot. I'd expect low to mid 20s C.

I think you're basically limited by wanting a real town. Plenty of non AI hotels & apartments but often the better beaches are in newer towns built to take advantage of the beach crowd.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've been to Tenerife, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura, the larger islands with a developed tourist industry. They all have the opportunity to "hike", offer good beaches and restaurants. They all also offer quieter resort areas as well as the more brash areas. However your description leads me to Las Gomera, which was next on our list before Covid struck.

Although not in the Canarias, I'd also look at Madeira. Better than the Spanish islands, a bit more upmarket, but a much better vibe all round. The walking on Madeira is fantastic and the food matches it.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

thank you Yes Madeira might sound more our style Thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 01:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Of these canary islands Fuenteventura is the most "natural" with lots of walking.
Madeira walking is excellent
The Azores, the walking is the best.
Majorca in the north west is especially good in their mini-mountain range area
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

perfect thank you I will do more research now
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 12:51 PM

Have a look at La Palma and La Gomera. La Palma is my go to place to kick back relax, walk a bit, and just enjoy the weather. We have been at most times of the year, always on the west coast, and a part from some rain in November, and one day of high winds in October have always has warm comfortable weather. It is important that you don't stay too high up though as it can snow or be foggy. Tazacorte, Puerto Tazacorte or maybe Puerto Naos may suit you. On the east side of the island there are bigger tourist accommodations, but a holiday home or apartment and a hire car is best. A car is essential in my experience. You have to like black sand though.
La Gomera is also great for walking but may be too quiet for you.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 01:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hetismj2, unfortunately La Palma will be out of commission for a long time. Thoughts and prayers go to the people of the island at this dreadful time.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 11:16 PM

Yes it is a tragedy for all concerned. A friend there has lost their home and their income as a result of the eruption. One of the houses we have stayed in is now under several metres of lava.
At the time I suggested La Palma there was no hint of the eruption.
I think plenty of people will still go there for holidays, staying on the east side or in the northwest of the island, but it will take a long time to restore infrastructure and find homes for those without. The stupid Spanish tourism minister was saying it was a great opportunity for the island tourism wise, even as people there are losing their homes, farms, livelihoods.