Current Scoop on Travel to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We flew Delta overnight from Atlanta to Rome. We were unable to check-in online since everyone now has to show an agent vaccination (or negative Covid test) AND QR code you get when filing digital Passenger Locator Form (PLF). Delta sent us an email telling us to go to Raleigh airport 3 hours early. Delta had a Special Services desk where they look at your paperwork and provide a printed boarding pass (and take any bags you want to check). We had only carry-ons as well as Precheck, and we were seated at the boarding gate 14 minutes after getting out of the car at the terminal. So, three hours is not for everyone.

Atlanta was a bit more chaotic. Even though our boarding pass noted all docs were ok, everyone had to re-submit everything at the boarding gate. Three Delta agents checked paperwork, even spending up to 15 minutes apiece helping technically challenged people fill out the PLF on their smart phones. We saw one couple with no vax or no covid test and two couples with Covid tests taken two days earlier. (Note: If not vaccinated, you should take Covid test the day before, since the 48-hour period within which to get the test is for arrival not departure). All three were sent to a nearby testing center that had zero wait time. Our plane was 30 minutes late leaving, but no one was turned away. And, every one of us had to have our temperature checked.

Delta reps kept telling us all to have all the paperwork ready for officials in Rome. But surprise, zero requests to see anything and no contact with a human in Rome. Simply scan your passport at a self-serve station for Passport control. It opens a door, lower your mask and an automated photo is taken of you. That was it. Fastest ever through Rome airport.

Bottom line: Have your Passport (signed if it is a new one), your CDC vaccine record or a negative covid test, AND the QR code for your PLF that you should get before arriving cat the airport. And, then no worries after that.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 04:35 AM

Thanks, whitehall! Have a great trip! Where are you going?

Would you let us know how things go when you return?
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the reminder to sign our passports. Have a great time in Italy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 02:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, thanks for posting and have a great time.

And you got me worried there for a moment, til I realised that Brits do not sign their passports.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

We usually hop from place to place, and see and do it a lot in a short period of time, with our most extreme trip report "16 countries in 30 days." We have always had that dream of spending a month in one small hill town, act a little more like a local, go to the markets, cook at home, etc. Weusually book apartments because we like doing a little of that even when we are dashing in and out. Covid provided us the perfect excuse, so we will spend one month in Spello in Umbria. We will have a car and plan to see 30 or so hill towns, a few we visited quickly in past trips.

We are in Rome a few days on either end. Right now, it's Italian summer vacation peak, so that means some restaurants and stores are closed and the fewer tourists than usual mean more Italian tourists. Not the usual crowds in most places. Our taxi driver said no Brits, Chinese, Koreans or Russians among others. We did see a long line outside the Pantheon, presumably doing "green card" checks. Vatican City seemed like a ghost town. Almost. But easy to go in and out of retail stores, gelato shops, grocers, with everyone wearing masks inside and no need of mask police. We have been to Rome so many times, we probably won't test the museums to see if they easily and properly accept our CDC cards as the green card. Seems like everyone is eating outside; we saw a few inside only places with very little business.

We always run into something fun here. Came upon a huge movie set for an upcoming film called "The Beautiful Game" about a Homeless World Cup that actually exists. It was being filmed with a major production in a small fake soccer field behind Castel San Angelo, the property of which ironically is home to numerous homeless people.

Nice to be in Rome during a peak period and seeing so few crowds.

Last edited by whitehall; Aug 23rd, 2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 06:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, Whitehall. I'm hoping that this is the first installment of many!
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 07:49 AM

Thanks Whitehall. We are headed to Rome/Tuscany in early September so your post is very timely. Any issues for you at restaurants? I've read that some U.S. citizens who don't have green passes are turned away by restaurant owners. All our dining reservations are for outside seating, weather permitting. I was hoping the green pass thing would be worked out by the time we depart but it's not looking that way.

The one concern I have is with the train from Chiusi to Rome. Hoping our vaccination cards will suffice. It should, but you just never know.

Hope you're having a wonderful trip. I will also post on my return.
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILUVPARIS
Thanks Whitehall. We are headed to Rome/Tuscany in early September so your post is very timely. Any issues for you at restaurants? I've read that some U.S. citizens who don't have green passes are turned away by restaurant owners. All our dining reservations are for outside seating, weather permitting. I was hoping the green pass thing would be worked out by the time we depart but it's not looking that way.

The one concern I have is with the train from Chiusi to Rome. Hoping our vaccination cards will suffice. It should, but you just never know.

Hope you're having a wonderful trip. I will also post on my return.
It seems 90% of people are eating outside in Rome; we will know more about small towns in Umbria in the coming days. We have had some quick rain but most places have umbrellas and other coverings. Outside dining definitely has expanded. Thunder and lightning today fortunately happened just before evening dining. Long lines at places like the Pantheon today, and we see them taking photos of CDC cards as well as scanning green cards. Same at the few restaurants we have seen with inside dining, even McDonalds.

Today, we estimate that 80-90% of people we passed, even in crowded, close quarters, were not wearing masks outside.

I suspect that the early reports of CDC cards not being accepted was an initial glitch, and I am sure your train will be fine. We haven't seen enough Americans to talk to regarding their experiences.

But otherwise, things seem almost normal. And Italian.

Safe travels to you as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 03:17 AM

Thank you for this post as I've been wondering about this experience with Delta from the US to Rome as we leave tomorrow! We have our PLF forms ready to go and will make sure our passports are signed!
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 07:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
**We did see a long line outside the Pantheon, presumably doing "green card" checks.**

Did you go in the Pantheon? I read they were requiring reservations so perhaps it's not just green pass slowing things down.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

We have been to the Pantheon so many times, we skipped it this time. We were told that reservations are only needed on week-ends.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

I posted this on another thread, but this is an important change: All US citizens also are required, beginning September 1, to provide a negative Covid test within 72 hours of ARRIVAL in Italy. This now applies REGARDLESS of vaccination status. This is per Delta Airlines and an article in the Local.

Last edited by whitehall; Aug 30th, 2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 08:16 PM

Traveling to Milan in 10 days

Hello, fellow travelers! We are getting ready to conquer Tuscany, via Milan from DTW. It seems that negative Rapid Test within 48 hours of arrival (or 72h?) will do. Did anyone use Med-e testing system? Was it accepted at destination (and on return to US)? It seems to be convenient and portable, and no need to go to to the lab or pharmacy for it, and results are instant...
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 06:05 AM

Good morning all! Whitehall, thank you so much for posting. I am headed to Rome on October 1 and CAN'T WAIT! Does anyone know whether one can expect problems on the trains? (stemming from earlier reports about CDC cards not being accepted). I am also flying Delta from ATL. I'm confused about the "new" requirement of being tested within 72 hours of Arrival in Rome. Wasn't that always the case?

Whitehall have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 09:40 AM

Hi Susan,

We are leaving for Italy on Saturday, Sept 4 and I asked the same question about trains. We will be taking a regional train from Chiusi to Roma Termini---fingers crossed. I will post about my experience when I return in mid-September.

In regard to Covid testing, I have seen nothing new posted listing to Covid testing requirement but, we did receive an email yesterday from Delta that contains the info below---so apparently they are aware of the new requirement Things could change by the time you travel in October so I would recommend checking daily up until you depart.

Old Aug 31st, 2021, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SusanG
Good morning all! Whitehall, thank you so much for posting. I am headed to Rome on October 1 and CAN'T WAIT! Does anyone know whether one can expect problems on the trains? (stemming from earlier reports about CDC cards not being accepted). I am also flying Delta from ATL. I'm confused about the "new" requirement of being tested within 72 hours of Arrival in Rome. Wasn't that always the case?

Whitehall have a wonderful trip!
Those of us who traveled in the August window did NOT have to do a Covid test to enter Italy if we were vaccinated. Our first one will be late September when we return to the US. We haven't been on trains, but we fully expect they will comply with the law (i.e. CDC card = Green Card). On Trenitalia website they say (bold is mine): "From 1 September travel safely only with Green Pass * or equivalent certificates on Frecce, Intercity, Intercity night, EC, EN, Freccialink (pursuant to the decree law of 6 August 2021 number 111)."

Susan, you also have a safe and wonderful trip. Our first week has been everything we hoped for and more.

Last edited by whitehall; Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 11:13 AM

Whitehall---Thanks for posting that info about TrenItalia requiring a Green Pass as of 9/1. I hadn't thought to look at that. I also haven't found a website that outlines how US citizens can get a Green Pass.

I'm now thinking of returning our car to Rome and we'll take a car service to our hotel. Seems like a simpler solution and it appears the rates have actually gone down since we booked.

Old Sep 1st, 2021, 03:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
whitehall, we spent two beautiful weeks in Spello and loved it there. We explored a lot of Umbria from this base. Spello had so many excellent restaurants and places to get an espresso. We keep looking to find “another Spello” to visit and probably should just return there. We stayed in a friend’s vacation home in the upper part of town.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 05:16 AM

Good morning all, not to sound ignorant, but I cannot figure out what test is what. I've read the latest news: (below). I am going today for a trial run - it is a "rapid" test and I want to ask them what that means...is that a PCR test? I'll get it figured out during my "test run," today. Also, I was wondering about the trains - so whitehall - thank you so much for that!

Did you all see this? Italy will require unvaccinated travelers from the United States to quarantine for five days and asks that vaccinated travelers take a coronavirus test. In other parts of Europe, the shift seems more symbolic so far. I would love to hear from anyone traveling to Italy from today on if they see any signs of this being enforced! I hope that this turns some unvaccinated Americans off and they go elsewhere.

The Ministry of Health website states that anyone who arrives from one of these countries or has passed through one of these countries in the past 14 days must now present:
  • Either a Covid-19 vaccination certification showing that they have completed a full vaccination cycle for at least 14 days, or a certification showing that they have recovered from Covid-19 within the past 180 days, from their local health authorities.
  • And negative results for a molecular (PCR) or rapid antigen test taken in the 72 hours before their arrival in Italy.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by SusanG
Good morning all, not to sound ignorant, but I cannot figure out what test is what. I've read the latest news: (below). I am going today for a trial run - it is a "rapid" test and I want to ask them what that means...is that a PCR test? I'll get it figured out during my "test run," today.
I am leaving for Rome on Sept.4, and have scheduled the Abbott ID NOW rapid PCR test...this is a rapid molecular test that has results within 24 hours (generally much faster), and has FDA emergency approval, so I believe this meets the requirements. I'm having it at my local Walgreen's. I have also been vaccinated, so will have my CDC card.

Just adding my two cents!

Safe and fun travels, all.

Candice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -