EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) - Tell me what I am not understanding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the midst of planning a 3-week trip to Italy (RT JFK-FCO) for late September 2021 that will include using public ground transportation as main means of moving around while in Italy. I read I will need to fill out theEU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF). As directed, I have created an account in order to fill out the form online. I started looking at the form and it seems that, upon arrival to the airport, you would need to know the train schedule that you are taking if leaving by train from the airport to another city. I plan to leave from FCO to Florence by train, BUT plan to buy the ticket upon arrival to FCO. Does this means I cannot fill out the form UNTIL I secured the transportation out of the airport? I am confused to say the least... please help. Thank you.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 03:44 PM
J62

I don't know anything about this particular form, but I'd just put in the train you intend to take. And if the plans change and you take a different train you can deal with that at the time.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 10:35 PM

I am also in the middle of filling out that form. I’m with you, it is a bit confusing. I have abandoned it twice (now I am waiting until I book my entry hotel.) Have you looked at the user manual? I have found that helpful. I believe they are interested in your flight information as that is how you are arriving in the country. Also, the address of your first lodging. Not every train you will take or place you will stay.

I should be done with mine soon.. I am entering by road and they want to know what road! How do I know? LOL
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 11:27 PM

PS I saw on a different thread that MinnBeef is going to Italy soon. Hopefully he can post his experience if he already completed the form.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 12:40 AM

Trains from Rome to Firenze

You will most likely take the train from Rome airport to Rome station & google train times from Rome to Firenze ( I use Italo trains) find them much better& are fast and usually from same Platform . 🌻
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 05:24 AM

When you are asked if you will arrive by plane, train, bus or boat, just click on "plane". You will then only have to fill in your flight number, seat number, airport of first arrival in Italy, arrval time and name of the airline, your home address and your address in italy.
Once in Italy, you can board any train by presenting the QR code of your green pass (NOT dPLF!). There is no need to fill in other forms for travel within Italy.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 07:30 AM

I also found it a bit klunky to complete. I just looked at mine., Like rialtogrl said, I think they are most interested in your flight information into the EU. For me, a flight from Minneapolis to Paris and then a flight from Paris to Venice. I don’t see anything regarding train plans. As an earlier poster stated, I wouldn’t worry about that until you need to worry about it. I do know my niece, who landed in Italy about a week ago did have her DPLF checked at her departure airport in NYC but then she said no one asked to see if after that.

I also noticed that I may have made a mistake and included my permanent US address under the “temporary address” section., I’m betting they want my Venice address there. But I’m not sure I want to go about trying to change it for fear of goofing something up. I think I’m just going to leave it and deal with it if I need to.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 08:20 AM

MinnBeef yep, they want the Venice address for the temporary one. I’d change it, they want to locate you if there is some issue.. for the first few days at least. Did you get your confirmation pretty quickly after completing the form?

Old Aug 14th, 2021, 08:23 AM

Hi rialtogrl. Yes, as soon as I logged out of Fodor’s I thought “I better change it because they’ll want that address for contact tracing purposes”. Of course when I went back into the website it told me it couldn’t find my original form. So I ended up completing a new one with all of the correct info.

Yes, I received the confirmation within a few seconds after clicking submit.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 09:15 AM

Grazie Mille MinnBeef! I hope it is the last time you have to fill it out and have a fabulous trip!
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 10:27 AM

I filled mine out too early for end of Sept trip and now the first lodging has changed (the apartment owner is serving quarantined Covid folks instead) and have to change it now to the Milan hotel we'll be in.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 11:49 AM

annw for sure it seems best to wait until just before you plan to travel.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Olivares22
Green Pass? Do I get the Green Pass at the origin airport or at the destination airport?
I assume you are vaccinated? Your vaccine card is your Green Pass. Maybe by September they will have figured out a way to streamline that so you do not have to carry your card around.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 07:07 PM

Hi all,

I am working on an EU Digital Passenger Locator Form. To confirm, Permanent Address is my home in the U.S. and Temporary Address is my hotel in Italy?

Thank you!
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by lrice
Hi all,

I am working on an EU Digital Passenger Locator Form. To confirm, Permanent Address is my home in the U.S. and Temporary Address is my hotel in Italy?

Thank you!
That is how I understand it. They want to know where we are in Italy for contact tracing purposes.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 12:18 AM

I just filled out the form. This time, it was not required to enter a temporary address. Also I had to fill out one for Slovenia as they have just started requiring them and that one was really easy. Maybe they are trying to streamline the process. Edited to add: ugh, somehow my temporary address is the same as the permanent one. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by rialtogrl; Aug 22nd, 2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 11:13 AM

Does anyone know if there is any issue with filling out the form early as long as your travel plans don’t change? I did mine for US to Rome and back for mid September trip. Then I read somewhere that yiu do it after check in. I don’t want to redo it unless I have to as I suspect they recommend doing it closer to the time in case travel plans change. Would like to know if I’m okay on that front doing it over two weeks ahead of time.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 09:07 AM

I'm with you. Have no idea if we completed our forms correctly or too soon, and also can't imagine having to edit our existing forms or fill out new ones electronically from our cell phone at the airport between check-in and departure time. Have googled these questions to death with no real answers. Neither the airlines or anyone at Amex Travel have any idea what a passenger locator form even is which is confounding since both are selling tickets to deliver thousands of Americans to Italy every day. Would appreciate any feedback you get on your questions.Thank you so much and enjoy your trip !

Last edited by Moderator1; Aug 29th, 2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: deleted e-mail address
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 04:30 PM

The more I read the more I think it’s fine as long as your travel plans don’t change. Keep in mind that if it turns out that you do need to do it after check in, you can do it at home. Just check in beforehand at home home 24 hours prior to departure. It’s all a great ad confusing and it seems also that tomorrow the EU is putting further travel restrictions in place so make sure you check those.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 04:38 PM

Thanks. I did go back in and edit a couple of things and feel a little better about it now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -