Who is going on a cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sitting here, daydreaming. There is a nice cruise on Princess in November, and the cabin is available in a perfect for me location on the ship... A friend said, she will go with me to share the cabin.

In my mind I am going back and forth: what if? Of course I am fully vaccinated, and so is my friend, but we still can get sick. Is November too early to go? This year, 2021.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 01:12 PM

I am sort of thinking about it but still not sure. The prices are still to high for me (I won't share a cabin). I'm used to paying no more than $100 a day for my own cabin, now it's nearly twice as much.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 01:16 PM

I think this current surge will peak in October, so if a new variant does not develop, it should be safe, or as safe as it can be. Which ship? Which itinerary? We have been on at least five Princess cruises over the years, and they were all extremely well cleaned, so they will be doing their best. I think I would go. However, DH is still hesitant to even book until things calm down. Our major concern is flying, rather than the cruise. Would you have to fly to catch the cruise? We also don’t want a hotel stay first. Then there are the shuttles or taxi to/from the airport to the ship, would not want to be doing all that, especially in Florida. So, not the cruise that is a concern as much as all the other stuff that goes with it.

It is funny. After one or two cruises a year for several years, I was bored and anxious for more exciting adventures back to Europe. We have, however, really isolated ourselves for a year and a half, seeing no one except one Daughter and Granddaughter. A cruise anywhere would be plenty exciting and welcome right now. I just do not want to fly to take one.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I

It is funny. After one or two cruises a year for several years, I was bored and anxious for more exciting adventures back to Europe. We have, however, really isolated ourselves for a year and a half, seeing no one except one Daughter and Granddaughter. A cruise anywhere would be plenty exciting and welcome right now. I just do not want to fly to take one.
Yes, same here. And the cruise would be San Francisco round-trip where we both live. Will probably wait and decide a month before the cruise.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb
I am sort of thinking about it but still not sure. The prices are still to high for me (I won't share a cabin). I'm used to paying no more than $100 a day for my own cabin, now it's nearly twice as much.
Yes, the prices are higher now. If the ship is not full, will they offer lower price? You live close to what... 3 ports?
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 02:16 PM

San Diego, Long Beach and Los Angeles (San Pedro). But I don't really want to do another Mexican Riviera or Panama Canal Cruise. Maybe a repo cruise from LA to Vancouver next April.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Hello, moderators, please delete my email address, or the whole reply. Thank you!
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 11:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it is too early. Our totally vaccinated friends came down with COVID on recent cruise and were taken off the ship. They think they must have gotten it on a flight or in airport, not sure.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I think it is too early. Our totally vaccinated friends came down with COVID on recent cruise and were taken off the ship. They think they must have gotten it on a flight or in airport, not sure.
I read about covid on Carnival cruises, they keep it a secret, how many got sick. I think it's too early, will have to wait till spring. Good luck to all who are on cruises now.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Moderator 8 for removing one of my replies per my request.

(for those who missed it, but are curious what happened - I put my email address in the reply, and was advised by another Fodorite it may be not safe to do that, so I asked to delete)
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Last year we were caught mid-voyage by the outbreak of the pandemic. It was touch and go getting home safely, and we were seriously spooked. Sorry to say, Dayenu, currently cruising still seems like too much of a crapshoot to me.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 12:05 PM

Belize Tourism Board reported that Carnival Vista has 26 infected crew and one infected passenger, all vaccinated and in isolation. Carnival had not been transparent in reporting the level of crew infected.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=pRDExy-q1lY
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave_Ohio
Last year we were caught mid-voyage by the outbreak of the pandemic. It was touch and go getting home safely, and we were seriously spooked. Sorry to say, Dayenu, currently cruising still seems like too much of a crapshoot to me.
Sorry, Dave, I can imagine how scary that would be! And I agree, November is too early. I am thinking of something simple and small, a RT out of San Francisco without flying. There are more cruises from April on, I can wait. Just not going anywhere for 4 years (not just covid, but also my injury and husband's death) is difficult for me.
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 02:36 PM

We are but not until 6/2022. Its out of Iceland and I hope things will be better by then but who knows?
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
leaving Seattle on second cruise on 9/5. Princess again, this time Alaska. we had the first covid wave biting at our heals on our first ever cruise-also with Princess. really looking forward to it but also increasingly concerned about delta and then possibility of another shutdown. follow the rules and take your chances.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

No, I don't want to take a chance... especially that everybody must wear a mask, and activities are limited. Maybe next year.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 11:05 PM

I think if I had the third shot, did not have to fly and was on a ship with 100% vaccinated passengers, I would consider it, but not want to get off the ship except at a private ship’s island. So, kind of a cruise to nowhere with shows, food, pools, etc. just for a vacation of some kind.
Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 05:22 PM

we are! 4 nites in the Caribbean in early October. Then LA to Hawaii and back on Viking right before Christmas. EBTA in May 2022. And our first river cruises in Europe next December (2022). We have some wanderlust to sate.
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 09:41 PM

We are too! France river cruise in October and a Caribbean cruise from Miami over Thanksgiving. Also booked for French Polynesia on Paul Gauguin next January.
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 06:13 AM

We also have a Feb. 2023 cruise booked on Royal. its 14 days R/T Barbados. The ship, Rhapsody is an older one but the itinerary is amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -