halekulani or Kahala

Search

halekulani or Kahala

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
halekulani or Kahala

40th Anniversary and we are spending 2 days on Oahu coming from 9 days on Kauai. Halekulani or Kahala hotel for fabulous? We will be on Oahu on our actual anniversary. Been to Waikiki many times and have not stayed at either. Reallyw ant something special.

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 02:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
aloha Shar,

Halekulani...or Halepuna or Royal Hawaiian or Moana Surfrider

Kahala isn't in Waikiki. I would not like the location since I enjoy walking out the door to restaurants, beach, shopping, local events and performances, etc. (Plus it has that captive dolphin thing going on that some people are not all the crazy about supporting)
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

oh yes, I forgot about that. I agree on leaving the dolphins to themselves. I know that the Kohala is not in waikiki which is fine since it is only for 2 days. we have walked the streets, shops, etc several times in Waikiki. Looking for the romantic environment for our 40th.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 06:31 PM

Good luck with your decision. I really don't know Kahala, have never been there. For being a bit outside the central area you could also consider The Lotus or Kaimana New Otani. Neither has a pool but both are at a quieter stretch of beach.

Happy Anniversary & Congratulations!
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 01:04 AM

When you looking to come? Halekulani is reopening in October 2021 per most recent info. I would imagine you need to jump on that to get a res....also with Covid re-establishing out here now who knows if that will change. I would recommend the Halekulani by a couple of hairs based just on location and how its service levels were BEFORE closing for refurbishing. I have not seen anything on the results yet but I know some of the people involved there and would anticipate it would be outstanding. It is in Waikiki but has one of the best locations and feels often like it is a different world as it is on the beach but really at the start/end of the frontage hotels.
The Kahala is a different kind of experience entirely. It is set on its own piece of property away from Waikiki which might be just what you want these days or as a different experience. Its sort of an oasis in a wealthy residential area where you can kind of hide out from all the brouhaha in Waikiki if that is what appeals to you. Service levels are very high so that is not an issue. I have not stayed there in a while since it changed management companies but I have not heard anything negative about it. It is a matter of the type of experience that you want. I am partial to the Halekulani restaurants (Orchids, La Mer,and its bar by the beach) but Hokus at the Kahala and their lobby bar have gotten $$ out of my pockets too. I would think about the type of experience you want as the primary driver of choice.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 08:50 AM

There's also Halepuna, the new sister hotel to Halekulani.