Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Places you visited but wished you hadn't.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Miami. To be more specific, South Beach area. What a hell hole. Had a couple nights there on the way to a trip to Chile.
Close second, Houston.
Wheatland, Wyoming. Stopped for a bite in a cafe where Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" was playing non-stop on the jukebox. We were returning to Ft Collins on our honeymoon motorcycle trip to Montana. It was late and creepy. Couldn't find our way out of town. Twilight zone stuff.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 03:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lubbock Texas
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pamukkale, Turkey. What a dump, and the pools are no more (or weren't when I was there).
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 06:41 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Langkawi, Malaysia - a complete pit away from the tourist resorts. Ugh.

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 06:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
deleted

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jul 25th, 2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Neuschwanstein Castle. A waste of a day and hotel room for a night.
Was disappointed in Buenos Aires.

There are many places we visited that we have no desire to visit again but are glad we did visit. Mostly in Central Europe.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 06:53 AM

"There are many places we visited that we have no desire to visit again but are glad we did visit."

I feel that way about Buenos Aires. I liked it and we did many interesting things there but on the whole, I feel no need to visit it again.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 09:43 PM

Maybe Nantucket. The museum was cool but I have the feeling I missed the “real” place by several decades. And it’s not that it isn’t interesting, and beautiful, but it’s just so...glossy. Not real. Overpriced and strained.

hm, otherwise, all of my regrets are mostly of attractions. I occasionally get tired or cold and wander into a “highly recommended” attraction. Like madam Tussaud. And it’s almost never worth the money.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 03:09 AM

The Philippines - we were due to spend a month there on one of our RTW trips. We arrived in Cebu City with plans to explore the country, do some diving etc. However it is the only place I can think of to which we took an instant dislike. Everyone seemed to be on the make, nothing seemed to work, food wasn’t great, service was awful and getting around anywhere seemed so difficult. We left after four days with no desire ever to return.

Smithfield, South Africa - we were on a road trip around the country and decided to. Break up on VERY long drive with one night in this out of the way town. A dust bowl of a place with few redeeming features, it was grim to say the least. We arrived late afternoon at our B and B. Greeted by a bunch of barking dogs and a litter of gorgeous puppies, we eventually found the owner and raised him from his post lunch slumbers. Still dressed in his food stained vest and underpants, smelling of whisky, he showed us to our room. Too late to find anywhere else we decided that the room wasn’t that bad for one night. I realised that he hadn’t given us a wifi code so I popped out in my bare feet to find him only to find that the "gorgeous puppies" had been using the hall outside our door as a toilet! Fair to say we didn’t leave with the best of memories.

PS Buenos Aires - One of the few places Mlgb and I disagree on! Loved the city! Perhaps not my favourite city in South America, but really enjoyed our longish visits there.

Old Jul 28th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Geraldton and Exmouth Western Australia. Very much like the description of Smithfield.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 09:54 AM

I wasn't really keen to visit BA in the first place, I kinda knew it wasn't for me (not as big a steak eater as crellston). So in a way it lived up to its reputation but I was still disappointed. Dog barking and poop (sidewalks in this case) was a contributing factor. Most SA cities seem to have very clean sidewalks (you often see shopkeepers cleaning in the early morning). I was only in BA due to coming off of a Cape Horn cruise, where we had free steaks from Uruguay that I liked better, and also a good tango show. So two of the big draws weren't really a factor. I wasn't as impressed by the architecture and cityscape having come directly from Montevideo (nice Art Deco neighborhood near the downtown port). Found the shopkeepers in Uruguay to be friendlier than their Argie cousins. Had a particularly grumpy hotel receptionist in BA, and a waiter who insisted I owed him a tip (despite horrid service) which I knew was a scam since there was already a service charge on the menu and tipping isn't obligatory. I had regrets later about not going to the Falls instead of the extra days in BA.

Re steak, grew up eating grassfed and prefer it to the corn finished which apparently is now more common in BA. And thought the steaks in South Africa were delish!

I actually liked Jakarta better.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 28th, 2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:57 PM

Buenos Aires was rather run down when we visited including the area around Casa Rosada, the Presidental Palace.
We feared a steady diet of beef but were happy when we learned that the city is largely ethnically Italian so we enjoyed many good meals.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 11:03 PM

"I actually liked Jakarta better" OK so there are two places we disagree on .

I had forgotten about Jakarta! Whilst I loved travelling in Indonesia, I did not like Jakarta at all. Dirty, run down, awful traffic and pollution (food was good though! ) . Probably didn’t help that I injured a knee when I slipped running across a road in a thunderstorm trying to dodge the cars ignoring traffic signals and clearly intent on killing me !
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 01:26 PM

Being crime victims certainly colors your opinion of a place and such it was for us in Buenos Aires.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
"I actually liked Jakarta better" OK so there are two places we disagree on .

I had forgotten about Jakarta! Whilst I loved travelling in Indonesia, I did not like Jakarta at all. Dirty, run down, awful traffic and pollution (food was good though! ) . Probably didn’t help that I injured a knee when I slipped running across a road in a thunderstorm trying to dodge the cars ignoring traffic signals and clearly intent on killing me !
I thought you would like that crellston. I had a free day and walked from my hotel to the big park in the center (and the museum) very very carefully.

Indonesians were lovely.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While there are a number of places I have no desire to revisit, I have a hard time coming up with places I actually regret. (Some hotel rooms, on the other hand...) Buenos Aires was certainly a disappointment, but so was Madrid. I even went back to Madrid in case it needed more time, but still was unimpressed. I do agree that if I could have skipped Jakarta I would have done so. Amman in Jordan wasn't worth much time either.