Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Clearing Customs in Dublin or Toronto to U.S.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm am currently looking at travel from Los Angeles to Dublin in October. Air Canada has a very good flight from Los Angeles to Dublin with a layover in Toronto. I've done the LAX to DUB via Aer Lingus and it was great because I was able to clear customs in Dublin on my direct return flight back to Los Angeles. As for my return flight, do I clear customs in Dublin back to Los Angeles? I question this because the Air Canada flight (Dublin to LAX) has a layover in Toronto. Would I need to clear customs twice - - once in Dublin and then Toronto? Anyone taken this route in the past? Can you shed some light on the subject? Thank you,
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 10:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 01:07 PM
J62

Your flight from Dubin to Toronto is not a US bound flight so you won't clear US Customs and Border control in Dublin....
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I’m not sure I understand the question, but if by “layover” in Toronto you mean you’re just changing planes and not leaving the airport, you don’t go through customs at that point. Only on return to a U.S. airport do you go through customs.
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 10:11 AM
J62

In Toronto you will clear US border control and customs before your board your flight. Hence your flight from Toronto to LA will arrive at LA just like any other domestic flight. That's the benefit of US pre clearance at Canadian airports...
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 09:50 AM

Dublin is part of the US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance scheme. Read about it here:

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/spotlig...972.1626974810

US-bound travellers go through US entry procedures, including immigration and customs, in Dublin prior to flying across the Atlantic.

Toronto Pearson airport is part of the scheme. On a Dublin-Toronto-US city itinerary, the pre-clearance is in Dublin. At Pearson airport those travellers go to a special arrivals area to transfer to their US-bound flight.

Pearson arrivals can be thronged (in normal times) so US-bound travellers should be sure to follow the signs to their area rather than following the crowd to Canadian admissions. Usually a number of efficient airport attendants are available to point the way.

A 'layover' that leaves the airport must go through Canadian immigration processes. The pre-clearance in Dublin would be useless. When subsequently travelling to the US from Toronto the US officials at Pearson will provide pre-clearance.

None of this has anything to do with the airlines.

Last edited by Southam; Jul 22nd, 2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old May 25th, 2022, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Southam
Dublin is part of the US Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance scheme. Read about it here:

US-bound travellers go through US entry procedures, including immigration and customs, in Dublin prior to flying across the Atlantic.

Toronto Pearson airport is part of the scheme. On a Dublin-Toronto-US city itinerary, the pre-clearance is in Dublin. At Pearson airport those travellers go to a special arrivals area to transfer to their US-bound flight.

Pearson arrivals can be thronged (in normal times) so US-bound travellers should be sure to follow the signs to their area rather than following the crowd to Canadian admissions. Usually a number of efficient airport attendants are available to point the way.
As of May 2022 at least, this is not accurate according to Toronto Pearson's connection guide. I'm a new account, so I cannot post a URL. You'll have to go to Toronto Pearson's website and search "Connections" in the search bar. It will look like /en/connections after their main URL.

This guide indicates you have to clear security AND US customs when you arrive at Pearson. Looks like I'm going to have to verify in Dublin before leaving.

Also, Dublin Airport's FAQ says "All passengers travelling directly [their emphasis not mine] to the US from Dublin Airport go through US Preclearance."

Southam Did you use the process you described to clear US Customs in Dublin for Toronto-bound flight with connection to US?

LATE EDIT: I just checked another forum, and they also indicate you clear US Customs in YYZ, not Dublin.

Last edited by mikew0511; May 25th, 2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old May 25th, 2022, 10:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. "LATE EDIT: I just checked another forum, and they also indicate you clear US Customs in YYZ, not Dublin."

As was explained in J62's posts #3 and #5 above. I believe Southam's post that you quoted was incorrect last year when it was posted and is still incorrect. Yes, both DUB and YYZ are part of the pre-clearance scheme. However only for flights between those airports and the US. A flight from DUB > YYX > any US airport will not be a DUB > US flight so one wouldn't be able to pre-clear US immigration/customs in DUB
Old May 26th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the reply.