Seeking advice for best San Diego area to stay with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- I will be traveling to San Diego in mid-August with my 2 kids (ages 6 and 9) for 7 nights. We are spending the first 3 nights at the Marriott Marquis downtown and are trying to decide where to stay next.

I am thinking we want to be close to the beach so was considering La Jolla Shores Hotel as they seem to have the best of both worlds — beach front and pool. However, space will be tight all week as the 4 of us will be sharing a room so I am now looking into VRBOs (having a kitchen will be a big plus!).

Any any recommendations on what beach to stay by? Looking for a family friendly beach within walking distance that kids would be comfortable swimming and not overrun by rowdy groups 24/7. Some areas I have been considering are Mission beach (does it matter if it’s north or south?), Ocean Beach and the La Jolla area.

Thanks!

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Advice for San Diego 1st timers

Will be in San Diego for 7 nights in August with two kids (6 and 9) and will be renting a car.

Booked 3 nights at the Marriott Marquis downtown but still trying to figure out the rest of the trip. Ideally we would stay somewhere walking distance of a good swimming beach and are open to VRBOs. Any recommendations on which beach?

Also is AC a must have? Was surprised most places don’t have it. Any tips are much appreciated!
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US forum
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
La Jolla Shores is great for families. That would be my first choice.

Have you been vaccinated? Obviously, your kids have not been.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Look for a VRBO rental in La Jolla Shores. La Jolla Shores beach itself is adjacent to Kellogg park, a grassy area with playground and restrooms. Wide, sandy beach. Surfboarders and body boarders. Plenty of space for everyone. We have rented within walking distance several times over the past 10 years to enjoy long weekends (in October) with the ‘California Kids’ including our two grandsons, now 11 and 15. There are a few restaurants on Avenida de la Playa in the blocks between the beach and La Jolla Shores Drive that we go to for lunch. I make an initial stop at Traders Joe’s to stock up on breakfast items and dinner fixings.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation on La Jolla
Shores. I really like the idea of having our own space because my kids will have to be careful as they aren’t able to be vaccinated yet.

Any thoughts on the need for AC? Saw most places don’t have AC but know August can get hot. Is this a must have?
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 04:51 PM

Sorry, I don’t know about conditions in August. Our visits have been in October.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Generally, AC is not needed close to the beach. It's much cooler there than just a few miles inland. If there is a Santa Ana it would be different and could be hotter right on the beach! Doesn't happen all that often though.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Forum Moderator

We have merged your two threads
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 08:39 PM

I would also consider Coronado and Encinitas. Both have nice beaches and are kid friendly.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

I did look at the Hotel de Coronado as it’s iconic. Reviews of the hotel are often mixed but heard positive feedback on recent room renovations.

Any pros / cons for staying at Coronado vs. La Jolla Shores area?
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 04:59 AM

You really can’t go wrong with either one. Are you only wanting to be at the beach or do other things?

Coronado has a small town, beach feel. It is only about a mile by a mile so biking, walking etc is very easy around town. Also there are excellent restaurants, public golf course, bike rentals, kayaking, municipal pool, a lovely beach and the old and historic Hotel Del Coronado. There is the https://www.gloriettabayinn.com/ .

The beaches in La Jolla Windansea, La Jolla Cove, La Jolla Shores are all nice too. You want to make sure you are in or nearby what is referred to as "The Village" which centers around Girard Ave. La Jolla does have better views for dining over the ocean. There is the aquarium that is neat and children’s pool area that usually has a bunch of seals. The kids might like seeing them.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Paqngo - we are planning to do a lot of day trips too — zoo, Seaworld, etc but also wanted to mix it up with a few beach days.

Also like the idea of being able to come back in the afternoons and evenings and spend time relaxing on the beach.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 08:56 AM

Best time for the zoo is when they open. If you go about 15 minutes before opening tome they will let you in and they release some parrots. It’s also good because more animals are out while it’s cooler and less people. Take a picnic lunch to eat at the zoo or at Balboa Park. Balboa Park is right next door and they have some great museums as well as gardens.

Old Town- Is fun to explore https://oldtownsandiegoguide.com/

Liberty Station is fun to explore. There are some nice trails for some walking and a playground. Lots of food choicesl
Here is the website https://libertystation.com/events/calendar

The New Childrens Museum in San Diego is really nice. https://thinkplaycreate.org/

There is also https://www.thelivingcoast.org/ which is a great place for the kids and adults.

Birch aquarium in La Jolla is wonderful. https://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

Sunsets at the beaches are the best. Take dinner, relax and enjoy.

Traffic on the freeways in San Diego can be a pain. I would plan on being back from your adventures by 3 or after 6-7.
That would give you afternoon time at the beach.

Have fun.

Old Jul 10th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! Looking forward to a fun trip!
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Paqngo’s experiences in the area are more frequent and more extensive than mine. During our three-generation reunions on long weekends in La Jolla Shores, none of us has been to Girard Avenue. And, while I have suggested outings numerous times, day trips are never in the plans. In fact, other than driving to San Diego one time for a special birthday dinner, we rarely use the car. Our days are filled with spending time at the beach, taking long walks, enjoying the outdoor space at the rental, eating home cooked meals, and playing card games together. It’s fun for us be with the two younger generations for a relaxing weekend free of holiday stress and additional obligations.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 06:39 AM

I'm not as big a fan of the beach at Coronado, I also like the Torrey Pines beach but La Jolla Shores is a bit closer to some of the other things you want to see than the north coast (Del Mar, Encinitas, etc).
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the helpful advice! I ended up booking a VRBO that is about a block behind La Jolla Shores Hotel so will be able to be close to the beach as well as enjoy more space for the kids + kitchen and washer/dryer!

I had mentioned that I booked our first 3 nights at the Marriott Marquis downtown and some recent reviews I’ve seen were not very good! Understaffed, pools overcrowded, long waits for everything…tough to get excited if that’s that the experience!

Any other recommendations on where else we should stay? I am open to other areas outside of La Jolla Shores that would work well for a family with 2 kids under 10. Thanks!

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 11:01 PM

we stayed at Holiday inn Bayside. Good location. we had a great room that had little patio that looked out on grassy area with putting green and then the pool. Bus at corner was easy to take to downtown. there were several kids that age there.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 08:04 AM

Look at Homewood Suites by Hilton, Liberty Station - stayed many times, includes breakfast and other perks. Family friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -