Help! passport emergency

Search

Help! passport emergency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! passport emergency

My daughter has finally been able to arrange to visit me in Italy. Her flight is in 10 days ( Thursday, July 15th).

She just discovered that my granddaughter's passport is expired. It seems that because of Covid the usual urgent renewals and expedited services are not available. She lives in Indiana, but could drive to Chicago or Detroit. However, neither office has any appointments next week. (For urgent service, you can't apply earlier than 72 hours before your travel date, which means she'd need an appointment Monday or Tuesday)

We've contacted several services that advertise fast turnaround on passports, but none is offering anything at less than 4 weeks. No one is answering their phone, even those that are supposed to be open 24/7 including holidays.

If anyone has an idea, please tell me. I'm so disappointed at the thought that I won't see them again this year, My granddaughter doesn't even know yet that she may not be able to come.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 12:26 PM

Can they change their flights to later in the Summer or Fall?

Maybe offices will be open tomorrow. They should still be able to make it work. Take her daughter with her to the appointment and make sure every document they might need is done. They might need new photos too. I am sure they are checking everything. Does Indianapolis have a passport office? Not knowing their location, but are there any other offices they could reach in time?

I am glad you posted this problem. It will be a good reminder to others. Passports for children have to be renewed sooner than for adults. I reminded my daughter about a month ago that she needs to check my GD’s because I am sure it is close to expiration.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 12:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Federal offices are cloesd today.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 01:11 PM

Bvalenci maybe also post this in the Lounge? As mentioned above, holiday today -- so sorry for this difficulty.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Can they change their flights to later in the Summer or Fall?
The flight is flexible, but my granddaughter starts school in August, and my daughter is on faculty at IU; she starts a little later than her daughter, but not much.

...Take her daughter with her to the appointment and make sure every document they might need is done.
The main problem is that there are no appointments available between now and the 15th.

...Does Indianapolis have a passport office? Not knowing their location, but are there any other offices they could reach in time?
I've checked every office in the midwest, and also New York. Since their flight to Italy leaves from New York, I thought maybe they could go there early. But there are no appointments in New York, either.

I am glad you posted this problem. It will be a good reminder to others. Passports for children have to be renewed sooner than for adults. I reminded my daughter about a month ago that she needs to check my GD’s because I am sure it is close to expiration.
Since they haven't traveled in over a year, my daughter says it just slipped their mind. Anyway, it was so complicated arranging the Covid-tested flights and checking all the rules about Covid tests and quarantines.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annw
Bvalenci maybe also post this in the Lounge? As mentioned above, holiday today -- so sorry for this difficulty.
Thanks, I'll try that.

It's been so long since I've visited the Lounge; I can't remember how to access it.

Last edited by bvlenci; Jul 5th, 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 01:30 PM

I am so sorry. Such a disappointment if it does not work. I am hoping it can be fixed tomorrow.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your daughter might contact her Congressperson's office. They love to help constituents, and may have some pull.
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 06:29 PM

What worked for us - though this was pre-COVID - was to just show up to the passport office at opening time with all documentation (application, photos, airline tickets) and throw ourselves on the mercy of the staff. They sent us to a place a few doors down to get better quality photos, then had the new passport ready after lunch. Not a guarantee, and also think it would be worthwhile to contact your Congressional representative's office.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Pre Covid, my sister did not listen to me to renew her passport when flying US to Germany. When she got to the airport, they wouldn’t let her fly so we as a group left her behind. It was very upsetting for all of us and I did warn her. We were flying the day before Thanksgiving.

She had done an emergency passport before so knew what to do as only the passport office can give them out in cases like this. She couldn’t do anything the next day due the holiday so while at the airport booked a flight for two days later. She got in two days later as I think it was walk ins only. She got her picture and passport immediately for the flight out later that evening. She joined us 3 days later so didn’t miss the whole trip.

Your granddaughter might have an advantage knowing to get her picture before than showing up extra early at the passport office if that is an option. My sister went to the one in Philadelphia so any other information my sister had might not be helpful. I am not sure where the closest office is to them and I think the flight had to be within 24 hrs so talk about panic and crossing my fingers for her.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 11:36 AM

There don't seem to be appts for that early date anywhere, unfortunately.

I'm not sure I'd do it, but if she doesn't mine the drive, there is Seamus idea of just showing up. I don't know about Congresspeople and passport services, I doubt that will work. They might be able to find out the status for someone if they had it submitted, but I doubt if they can get you an early appt. Of course, anything's worth a try.

I would just plan on a later trip, I guess, I would think they might have some upcoming coincident vacations possible before Christmas. But they may not want to travel for only a few days. Where I live, schools are off 4 days around Labor Day. Then there is Thanksgiving, of course.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 06:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
This office has worked magic in the past -
https://cibtvisas.com/passport-information
But they can't do anything due to Covid. According to their website, "fast" is now 6 to 8 weeks. They've done overnight for me in the past.
Sorry. It doesn't look like there's a solution.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sassy27
She got in two days later as I think it was walk ins only. She got her picture and passport immediately for the flight out later that evening. She joined us 3 days later so didn’t miss the whole trip.

Your granddaughter might have an advantage knowing to get her picture before than showing up extra early at the passport office if that is an option. My sister went to the one in Philadelphia so any other information my sister had might not be helpful. I am not sure where the closest office is to them and I think the flight had to be within 24 hrs so talk about panic and crossing my fingers for her.
​​​​​​Because of Covid measures, there are no walk-ins now. There still is, in theory, emergency passport processing. The flight has to be within 72 hours. The problem is that they can't get an appointment. They've tried every office within a 10-hour drive and every office where they could get a direct flight from Indianapolis. There are no appointments available, it seems, in the entire USA.
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Covid has really messed things up for people. I guess all that can be done is keep trying for an appointment both on line and by calling. Maybe someone will cancel and they can grab that spot. Good luck as I know this type of situation can be stressful.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 07:43 PM

Just a general FYI -re: passports- DH's passport is expiring, so he got pics, we downloaded the application, he went to our local main post office, paid the $100 fee, paid an additional $89 for expedited processing, and should get it in four weeks.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Just a general FYI -re: passports- DH's passport is expiring, so he got pics, we downloaded the application, he went to our local main post office, paid the $100 fee, paid an additional $89 for expedited processing, and should get it in four weeks.
I hope you actually get in in four weeks. I've read that it's been taking a lot longer. On the official website, I saw something about requesting reimbursement for expedited service that didn't happen, which may be a confirmation of that.

My daughter didn't have four weeks. Normally you can get a 48-hour turnaround if you have flight reservations, get an appointment, and go in person to the passport agency. This is what my daughter hoped to do, but it's impossible now.

My daughter has been calling repeatedly for the past week, but can't get through. The website shows no available appointments in the entire USA.

My husband has a health problem, and I also have a few medical issues, which is one of the reasons my daughter wanted to come this summer. There is a different number for emergencies, which we finally decided to try. We got a letter from our doctor describing my husband's condition, and my daughter started calling that number. We thought that even if they didn't agree that it was an emergency, she might be able to talk to a human being, and get an appointment for early next week. Finally she did get through, and was being transferred to someone who could help, but the line dropped. The person who answered the call had warned her that there was only one person handling all the emergency calls, and that if the call transfer didn't go through, she should keep trying. Which she's been doing, but not getting through.

I also read that some people are robocalling to grab appointments so they can sell them.

Several people suggested calling my daughter's congressman, which she did. They sent her a form to fill out and said they'd get back to her, but do far, no joy.

Last edited by bvlenci; Jul 11th, 2021 at 01:25 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

I also read that some people are robocalling to grab appointments so they can sell them.
If you search for "passport appointment service" on Facebook, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jul 11th, 2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: successfully removed spoiler tag
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Here's a TV news article about the problem.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.c...he-system/amp/

annw It says that expedited service is now taking 12 weeks. Please let us know how it goes for your husband.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Will do! I think he said that the postal officer told him the renewal docs would go to Philadelphia office, but it sounds like they are highly impacted.

I wonder if using the post office makes a difference? No appointment--just show up at the PO that issues passports, in our case our main PO; the postal worker took the docs, confirmed, and then forwarded them. Fingers crossed, as we have rescheduled 2020 travel to Sept 27.

Edited to add: The woman initially interviewed did mention post office so now unclear to me.

Last edited by annw; Jul 11th, 2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Will do! I think he said that the postal officer told him the renewal docs would go to Philadelphia office, but it sounds like they are highly impacted.

​​​​ I wonder if using the post office makes a difference? No appointment--just show up at the PO that issues passports, in our case our main PO; the postal worker took the docs, confirmed, and then forwarded them. Fingers crossed, as we have rescheduled 2020 travel to Sept 27.

I think all of the offices are equally impacted. The woman my daughter talked to last night told my daughter that they had one person fielding all calls nationwide.

My daughter is resigned to calling off the trip. She's going to the post office tomorrow with an application and photo to apply for the passport the usual way.

Edited to add: The woman initially interviewed did mention post office so now unclear to me.
I'm not sure who you mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -