Question about Portsmouth NH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Portsmouth next week and wondering where is the best place to get photos of the harbor - boats. I'll be visiting Strawberry Banke and will probably drive out to New Castle. I guess the best place to view the lighthouse is from Great Island Common (the lighthouse itself won't be open and it sounds like you can't drive up to it when it's not). But what I'm looking for is the classic view of the harbor with boats with the town behind it and I'm not sure where that is. I also just like to photograph boats in general.

Any other tips for a half day visit to Portsmouth (especially "picturesque" places) would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 10:29 PM

The classic boat shot on wmur tv news is the tug boats. There are several restaurants on Bow Street with decks overlooking the harbor https://riverhouse53bow.com/. When you drive rt 1B thru New Castle there's a causeway at which point you can see a distant view of the old Navy Prison in one direction and the fabulous Wentworth hotl in the other. Have you considered taking the harbor cruise? Not sure what kind of views you can get from the Memorial Bridge//rt 1 but it allows pedestrians. Precott Park is across the street from Strawbery Banke and is picturesque. I think you would have to take a photo from Kittery looking toward Portsmouth but all the vantage points would be off limits due to the shipyard.

Fort foster park in Kittery sounds like a good place for photos. It's a popular place for some friends inthat area. https://www.visitmaine.net/page/33/about-kittery
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll check out that area. Looks like from the photo on that restaurant site that there are places along the street with views of boats. And if we have time we'll take a walk on Memorial Bridge, good to know it allows pedestrians.