Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving Highway 90 in Israel from Tiberius to Ein Gedi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2021, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, fellas!
Planning a trip around Israel, and a loop that includes a drive through Palestine territories from Sea of Galilee to Dead Sea and Masada. Who drove down this way, and would it be unsafe, and is it better to drive within the Green line? We are planning to drive from Acco, stay one night around the Sea of Galilee and visit places North of it, then go to Eig Gedi. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to visit during that one day? Would Tzfat be a nice base? Where we can go from there to enjoy the nature and history of Northern Israel?
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 02:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Years ago I stayed for a week for a riding holiday in northern Galilee at Vered Hagallil. It was a love project of Yehuda Avni's, formerly a Chicago bus driver who moved to Israel in 1949, & his Palestinian wife Yona. The place was wonderful & I suspect it still is with views over the lake and near places you might want to visit like Capernaum, the loaves & fishes church, Rosh Pina, Safed & not far from Tiberius. Check reviews & look at photos to see if it's your kind of place.

Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 07:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I've driven Hwy 90 and didn't feel insecure at all, but it's best to monitor conditions vis a vis the West Bank and if things are unsettled when you're there, it's no huge thing to detour to another route. Note that if you use Hwy 6, which is tolled, the tolls will be added to your rental car bill (i.e. charged to the credit card you used) possibly with a surcharge from the rental company.

As far as where to stay in the Galilee, I would look for B&B accommodation around Rosh Pina, but my first choice (by a long way) would be the Scots Hotel in Tiberias. Luxury Hotel Israel - The Scots Hotel Tiberias (scotshotels.com) It's owned by the Church of Scotland and occupies several lovely and historic buildings overlooking the lake. The (non-Kosher) restaurant is terrific, you have beach access, secure parking, and the wee pub within the hotel is just fine.

The Galilee is so diverse and fascinating that I would spend more than a day in the area, but of course your schedule might be tight. With just one day to tour, you're going to have to manage your time pretty tightly. I would definitely take the time to circle the lake, and to go up into the Golan Heights a little for the terrific views. You might also want to visit Kibbutz Degania Alef, the first kibbutz (where some of my wife's family live) as well as Beit Gabriel, a lovely cultural center at the south end of the lake.

A couple of views of Kinneret from Golan Heights

From somewhere along Hwy 90

Wadi David at Ein Gedi

Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

What a great advice! Toda Raba! Will follow your lead!
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 02:30 AM

Hwy 90 is completely under Israeli authority - regardless of what it looks like on a map, you will not be going through Palestinian Authority territory.

It is patrolled and monitored well.

I drive this route often, either on my own or with tourists and I have never had a problem.

I do suggest that you drive it in daylight as parts are not well lit and some sections are rather hilly and a winding two lane road.