Fire concerns in Lake Tahoe

Old Jun 19th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire concerns in Lake Tahoe

Hi, We have plans to fly into Sacramento and drive to Lake Tahoe in August. I am wondering what the level of concern is for fires this summer and if there is
an evacuation route if the fires get bad. Thanks.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 06:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
This year is a particularly concerning year for wildfires. There is never 1 route, "evacuation routes" depend, logically, on where a fire is. It would be particularly unlucky for there to be a fire while you're there but not impossible. The best advice for evacuation is always don't wait. People get trapped when evacuation becomes mandatory & jam the roads. If you'll be in California, CalFire is the agency whose websites will advise you plus local sheriffs offices. If in Nevada presumably there's an equivalent agency to CalFire.

https://www.readyforwildfire.org/wp-...re_LINOweb.pdf
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Fires are dynamic - so as MmePerdu says there is never a pre ordained evacuation route(s)

My bigger concerns than if there might be a fire in the Tahoe Basin is are you absolutely sure you want to go to Lake Tahoe in August? It may be a joke but there is a lot of truth to "No one goes there, its too crowded". I live less than 2 hours from both north and south shore Tahoe and I simply won't go there from late June through Labor Day. Can be hot, thunderstorms most afternoons, often poor air quality due to fires elsewhere in northern CA . . . and very crowded. This year could be worse than normal both re fire danger and crowds. California has been locked up tighter and longer than many states and there is huge pent up demand for locals taking staycations in places like Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia, the central coast and SoCal.

I'm not typically a Debbie Downer re Tahoe but I personally wouldn't plan on going there this summer.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aww Janis. Come on! Don’t spoil my week. I am heading to Tahoe today for a week. Can’t wait!
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 08:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MichelleY
. . . I am heading to Tahoe today for a week. Can’t wait!
No worries, if you must evacuate you can come to my house (or maybe it'll be the other way around).

Old Jun 21st, 2021, 09:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MichelleY
Aww Janis. Come on! Don’t spoil my week. I am heading to Tahoe today for a week. Can’t wait!
Ah -- but you know the ropes Its visitors from farther afield that might be surprised by a traffic jam in Tahoe City or backups on I-80. Was up there in the middle of May and made the rookie mistake (I DO know better) of driving back from northshore on a Sunday -- bumper to bumper almost all the way from the summit to Applegate.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you.