Turin and Milan Thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has been to both cities? Love to know your thoughts on architecture, museums, food, and overall ambiance/vibe. If you wanted to visit both cities how best to allocate the time? How many days in each would you recommend?

When you visited how many days did you spend? Did you feel it was ample time or wished you had more? What were your favorite things to do in each city?

Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only spent an afternoon and evening in Milan, and think that it would repay more time. I very much enjoyed my stay in Turin, see:

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...njoying-turin/
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:42 PM

Okay, long and meandering reply. FWIW, I like art museums, churches, and good food:

In 2018 I took a quick trip to Turin-Camogli-Milan. There's more to see in Milan, but I spent three full days in Torino and really liked it. It's a very elegant city in the center, and the mountainous backdrop is quite pretty. I also had a little under three days in Milan that trip--I had been there before but not in many, many years, so it was like a first visit.

I think my favorite sight in Turin might have been Palazzo Madama. There's the cinema museum and Palazzo Reale, Galleria Sabauda, the cathedral and other terrific churches to see. I'm probably forgetting things, as I'm a pretty a hardcore sightseer and I didn't have time for everything I wanted to see (like the Egyptian museum). Frankly I just enjoyed the city. My luggage was delayed for a couple days, so I spent some time shopping too. There are great restaurants in Torino. I researched these in advance.

In Milan I hit the big sights: Duomo including the roof, Santa Maria della Grazie including the Last Supper, Pinacoteca di Brera, San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore, Ambrosian gallery, plus whatever I happened to be walking by that was open. I didn't have time to see an opera at La Scala nor go inside the Sforzesco Castle, though I walked around outside. There wasn't an exhibit I wanted to see at Fondazione Prada, so I didn't go out there. Maybe my favorite place was San Maurizio al Monastero--but hard to choose.

Also, I'm a runner, so each morning I would get out and about on a jog, seeing the cities that way too.

I would happily return to both Milan and Turin.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Oh, how could I forget the Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio in Milan? That was great too.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 04:36 PM

If you click on my name, I have a trip report that includes Turin for some ideas. Hubs and I enjoyed the shroud, Mole, and Egyptian museum. On another trip we trained from Verona to Milan for the day. We loved the Duomo (and the roof tour), La Scale Museum, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, and the "Last Supper". See if you can find maitaitom's trip reports as he spent more time in both places.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 12:19 AM

Two different vibes. Turin is indeed elegant and there are many pedestrian-free zones. We enjoyed our time there very much. Milan is bustling and more of a scavenger hunt to find things.

Both are great although I enjoyed Turin more.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Make that La Scala Museum.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 12:39 AM

...and don't forget the car museum in Turin and the Science and Technique Museum Leonardo da Vinci in Milan. The ethnologiecal Museum at Milan has often intresting exhibitions. and the Naviglio area nearby is very pleasant for lunch or dinner.
Both cities offer tons of day trip possibilities:
Milan: Certosa di pavia and Pavia; Cremona and Mantova; Lake Lugano (boats and cog wheel railway to Monte Generoso) and the 3 medieval castles of Bellinzona; Lake Maggiore and Isola Bella Island (boatanical gfardens and castle); Bergamo; Lake Iseo and prehistoric rock carvings of Capo i Ponte; Bernina Express round trip (rather long day)..........
Turin: Breuil and Matterhorn; Courmayeur and Mont Blanc; Roman and medieval Aosta and castles of Aosta Valley........

Last edited by neckervd; Jun 21st, 2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

There is so much to do in both cities that each require a week to scratch the surface. Plus when you add in all the daytrip opportunities--wow!

Is it feasible to do Lake Maggiore from Turin as a daytrip or better from Milan? It seems to be just a slight difference in driving times from either direction or am I wrong?
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 03:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved both cities. Below is my 2018 Italy report. Milan Chapters Two - Four, and Turin Chapters Fifteen - Eighteen. If you get the chance, go to Piemonte hill towns. We loved La Morra (photo below). We were there the beginning of October and the beginning of white truffle season. Oh my!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/italy-2018/

Old Jun 25th, 2021, 08:43 AM

Lake Maggiore is closer to Milan. It's possible to visit the Lake area from Turin by car (most of trip on motorways), but it wouldn't be a good idea to do it by train (fastest connections via Milan).