Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best things to see and do -3 nights in Florence 3 nights in Paris

Old Jun 17th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Active couple would like recommendations of interesting things to see and do in Florence and Paris
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 08:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That gives you two days in each city -- barely time to scratch the surface - especially for Paris. You'll see a teensy bit of the major sites. Give us a hint of the the sorts of things that interest you.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 08:18 PM

I don't know your plans at all but, on face value, I'd combine your visits to both cities and have a better experience (and avoid a wasted travel day).

Any travel guide, online or paper, will give you a million suggestions for things to do in Paris and Florence. And you'll be able to filter for the things that might appeal most to you.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 03:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paris; I cannot answer as I don't know what you like. For me the highlights of my last visit were the D'Orsay (always like this place) and the Institu de Monde Arab but it could just as easily been the Musee Cluny or the Louvre

Firenze is a lot smaller and it depends a little if you are using public transport and how you want to interface with their ZTL. Certainly the Baptistry is worth 30 minutes of anyone's life while the big church next door probably deserves 2 or 3 hours. The Uffizi is best visited in the morning and I'd visit it online first just to get an idea of what to visit, I like the Roman busts and the 1550 period paintings but others prefer other stuff and the first two or three rooms tend to fill up with groups who don't know what they want to see. The gardens are gardens.

Now tell us more about you, there is a canoe tour of Firenze which you might like
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are 60+ museums in Florence. Only you can decide which few you'd want to spend your very limited time visiting. If reservations are possible, make them, because you don't have time to stand in line anywhere. I hope your two days are not Sunday/Monday when many museums are closed.

The Museums of Florence

This might help:

https://travel.usnews.com/Florence_Italy/Things_To_Do/

The only time I've used public transportation in Florence was returning from Piazzale Michaelangelo when it started to rain and all the taxis got snapped up fast. Otherwise, the historical center of Florence is small and easily walkable.

The ZTL is only an issue if you come with a car. Just don't.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 01:17 AM

If I had my heart set on Paris, I would spend the whole time there with a day to Versailles.
Though I love Paris, I might skip France and spend all the time in Florence and other small towns nearby, or do Florence and Venice. The amount of time works well for those two destinations and trains are cheap and efficient. Arriving at the grand canal when you step out of the station is a delight to the senses.
You could see and do a lot more by picking one large place like Paris and concentrating on that or seeing one or two places like Venice and Florence or even Florence and Rome, which are close together and easy by train.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the three days each whole days or do they include arrival, travel, and departure days? If so, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, unless this trip is just to get ideas for future trips. Only you can decide.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Are the three days each whole days or do they include arrival, travel, and departure days? If so, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, unless this trip is just to get ideas for future trips. Only you can decide.

The OP states 3 nights per city so really can't be three whole days in each place.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Without knowing anything about what you like to do, it is hard to make recommendations. If you haven't visited these cities before I would recommend getting a guidebook (I typically use Rick Steves) and read about the many things there are to do. Once you've narrowed down your choices, you might ask what other travelers enjoyed on your list or if there is anything else, based on your preferences, we would recommend.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:34 PM

With only two days in each city (if you stick with this plan), then read some guide books and pick the two things that most interest you in each place. Schedule plenty of time for those. Then add a couple more if you have any time left. No matter how little time you have, it is more enjoyable to really see the things most special to you, even though you may see fewer things. Take a bit of time to sit and soak up the atmosphere too. You don’t get that if you race all around. You can’t see everything anyway, no matter how much time you have.
Do not, do not take a bus tour of Paris! It is a complete waste of time and money and takes away from seeing important things.
A walking tour of Florence might be OK, depending on the tour and if you go inside any places.

If you are into art and want to go to the Louvre or the Uffizi, really study up on what is in the collections and the locations of the pieces you want to see. Head straight to those. Otherwise, you will just wander, which is OK if there is nothing you do not want to miss.

If there is nothing you have your heart set on seeing in the Louvre or the Uffizi Gallery, but you still want to include an art museum, then I suggest you skip those and go to the Musee d’Orsay in Paris and The Accademia in Florence. Get tickets ahead of time for The Accademia. You may also need them for the d’Orsay. Check.

Of course, everything in travel is personal, also depends on interests, time and travel companions. In Florence, there are the big sights, and I love the Uffizi, but my two favorite things are just walking and looking at Ponte Vecchio from different points of view and visiting the inside of Santa Croce.

Paris has so much to see, it can be overwhelming, but I also enjoyed a trip on the Seine in the evening, timed for just as lights were coming on, (not a dinner cruise), and I enjoyed Versailles as a day trip, but more when I stayed overnight.

I am going to reiterate my opinion that with only two days in each place, save a day of travel and stay in Paris. That gives an extra sightseeing day. OTOH, you could easily spend the whole time in Florence and do a couple of short day trips to Pisa, Luca, Siena, etc. I have been fortunate to go to each several times and I just do not think Paris and Florence make a good pairing with your short time.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 01:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think they want an opinion, they have three nights in each place. Stick to smaller museums. The one thing I loved about nights in Florence were the street art on the streets. amazing talent. Walking around, having a late dinner and then gelato. I also love Mercato Centrale. We had an apartment so bought a lot of stuff for late night snacks and wine on our terrace. Walk to Piazzale Michelangelo and enjoy the views and flowers there. Go to mass early at the Duomo. Amazingly peaceful., no tourist.

Paris Museums, Musee d' Orsay and maybe Orangerie and loved Marmotton. I could just walk the city all day exploring outside. I cook so always go to E. Dehillerin and Longchamp for a purse. Just don't stay inside a museum all day.

Have fun, two of my favorite places.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Google three-day itineraries for each place to give you an idea what's feasible. My favourite thing to do in Paris is to be at the Trocadero at sunset to watch the lighting up of the Eiffel Tower.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 10:31 PM

Luxembourg Gardens in Paris is one of my favorite places in the world! A great day for me would be to spend the morning at Musee d’Orsay followed by a long lunch at Les Deux Magots followed by a walk through St Germain des Pres to Luxembourg Gardens.

Planning this day for early October!
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 08:45 AM

Definitely Google "The 5 best things to see in.." each city.Then choose among them. Please report back about what you are able to squeeze in!