Costa Rica questions

Old Jun 16th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica questions

I am going on a last minute trip to Costa Rica this weekend to meet a friend from Europe that is traveling there for 2 weeks before coming to the US. We have no plans yet other than flying into SJO and renting a car. I have traveled all over the US and Europe and am a pretty seasoned traveler, but I have never been to Central America. The closest I’ve been is Cancun and Riviera Maya. I have some general questions:
1. How concerning is it that I don’t have a hepatitis shot? Do I need to worry about any certain foods or the water there?
2. It’s rainy season. Does that means it rains all day every day woth big rains? Is it a problem getting around with rental cars? Is a 4WD necessary? I am assuming we will drive to multiple areas around the country to see volcanos, coffee plantations, rain forests, etc. Will those activities be severely limited?
3. How big is the risk of theft and robbery? If we are visiting from town to town and carrying our luggage in an SUV between AirBnBs, is it super critical we don’t leave the car alone with our luggage in it?
4. Are AirBnBs generally a good option?My friend is traveling on a budget, so we will be looking to stay in places that are safe but not fancy.
5. Any other major things we need to consider?

thanks!!

Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:03 PM

is it super critical we don’t leave the car alone with our luggage in it?
It is super-duper critical. Never leave anything of value in an unattended vehicle. Park only in a secure guarded location.

How concerning is it that I don’t have a hepatitis shot?

You don't say where you're going. If staying on a standard tourist itinerary, most travelers do not get a hepatitis vaccination.

On the topic of health, there are some major concerns these days. You must fill out a Health Pass/Pase de Salud at least 48 hours before your arrival in Costa Rica.

salud.go.cr

You must have health insurance that will cover you for up to US $50,000 in case you get sick in Costa Rica and need treatment. You must also have insurance that will cover you for up to US $2,000 in expenses if you are forced to quarantine or if circumstances prolong your trip.

You need also to make plans for a COVID test to be taken there within 72 hours before your arrival back in the U.S.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Info taken from the U.S. Embassy website:

cr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; Jun 16th, 2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 06:02 PM

We went for years before our doctor recommended Hep A and B shots for us. We never had any problems. You don't usually need to worry about food or water; it's not like Mexico. If certain areas have unpotable water, they'll usually supply filtered water. It's usually not a problem getting around with a rental car. Rain isn't usually all day rain. Do not ever leave anything in your car unattended as Jeff mentioned. Car break-ins are not uncommon. I wouldn't leave luggage unattended or leave anything in my car. I'd lean towards staying somewhere with security vs. an AirBnB. Costa Rica is an amazing country; we've been going for fifteen years and really love it.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeff_Costa_Rica
It is super-duper critical. Never leave anything of value in an unattended vehicle. Park only in a secure guarded location.

You don't say where you're going. If staying on a standard tourist itinerary, most travelers do not get a hepatitis vaccination.

On the topic of health, there are some major concerns these days. You must fill out a Health Pass/Pase de Salud at least 48 hours before your arrival in Costa Rica.

salud.go.cr

You must have health insurance that will cover you for up to US $50,000 in case you get sick in Costa Rica and need treatment. You must also have insurance that will cover you for up to US $2,000 in expenses if you are forced to quarantine or if circumstances prolong your trip.

You need also to make plans for a COVID test to be taken there within 72 hours before your arrival back in the U.S.
Thanks, Jeff! We don’t have a set itinerary yet. I guess if we don’t go too rural, we should be fine on the hepatitis situation? Can we drink the water and eat fruits and vegetables? What about street vendor food?
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 09:02 PM

As volcanogirl mentions, Costa Rica is generally okay for food and water.

What about the other things I mentioned? Have you filled out the Health Pass online? Do you have the insurance? You'll need to show proof of that.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

salud.go.cr

As volcanogirl mentions, Costa Rica is generally okay for food and water.

What about the other things I mentioned? Have you filled out the Health Pass online? Do you have the insurance? You'll need to show proof of that.
not yet, but I will definitely do that today. Thanks for all your help!