Iberostar AI

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iberostar AI

Hoping for a bit of feedback from Fodor's - I have posted a few questions over at TA but this community has been very helpful to me in the past - mainly on my excursions to Europe.

So I am going to an Iberostar AI in Mexico and wondering how I will enjoy the experience. I am used to land travel in Europe and also cruising - mainly on Celebrity. Reviews of the resort are all over the place! some love the food, some say very little is edible. I am going with my daughter and her family (3 children) thus the choice of AI. I don't plan to do too much but hope I don't have to fight for a place at the pool and that the food is fairly comparable to buffet / MDR on our cruises. Any info / experience apprecisted.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:45 PM

There are several Iberostar resort complexes, the one at Playa Paraiso (Grande, Maya, Lindo, Beach and I think Del Mar), the one in Playacar (Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal) and I think there may also be one in Cancun as well.
I only know them by reputation, the Playacar one is closer to a town (Playa del Carmen) if that matters and the Playa Paraiso one is tiered (if you stay at the less expensive Beach section you cannot use the facilities of the Maya or Lindo, for example).
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Iberostar resort are you considering? As stated above, there are several in the Riviera Maya.
The IB Paraiso resort is a large complex that offers a lot in the way of dining options and activities. The IB in Playacar is smaller.
The Iberostar Paraiso Grand is adults only and offers fantastic service, good food and drinks. It is the top tier of the Iberostar resorts.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

We are going with children so it will be the Paraiso Maya. Trying to sort out the dining situation (reservations?) and hoping for some pleasant pool time without having to battle for a chair at 8:00 am! Obviously this brand is quite popular - it does seem that much? of the clientel may be Europeans on package tours? Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 05:29 AM

We have been there several times and don't really think much of the people were Europeans.
The Maya is a great choice.
Are you planning on getting just one room? It seems from your post there will be five of you. In that case, if you want to be together, you would have to book a Family Suite. That is basically two rooms with a connecting door. That way you get two bathrooms as well!
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks schmerl- actually I am getting my own room and my daughter, husband and 3 children are getting a family suite. So far we have not been able to confirm that the rooms will be close to each other but hopefully that can be worked out at check in!
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 04:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love my vacations in Mexico and have been many times over the past 3 decades, most often to Puerto Vallarta. Never stayed at an all-inclusive or on the Caribbean side. So I'm no help. Other than to wish you a good trip. I admire and enjoy Mexican people and culture and hope you will have a taste of that even being at a resort.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by suec1
Thanks schmerl- actually I am getting my own room and my daughter, husband and 3 children are getting a family suite. So far we have not been able to confirm that the rooms will be close to each other but hopefully that can be worked out at check in!
Yes....they can't really "guarantee" rooms near each other except for the Family Suites. They will do their best to help you though.