Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What else to see in Paris for 20-ish year old for one more day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter (in her late 20's) is currently in Paris. She has about one more day left there. She went on a mission trip to Africa, and instead of doing the layover in Paris, she planned to stay in Paris for a week. Looking for recommendations for anything else she should see that she wouldn't want to miss (some things that are also not pricy would be nice) before she departs for home on Tuesday morning. She is staying near Rue Saint-Paul. She is in the Latin Quarter right now. Just a few moments ago, she walked by a restaurant and heard a lot of cheering, etc..., so she decided to go in and see what the fuss was about. She is currently at the Long Hop watching the French Open on TV with others for just a bit.

Some of things she has seen and/or taken tour of: Arch de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, The Louvre (and the Monalisa painting), Notre Dame Cathedral, Champs-Elysees, Musee d'Orsay, Seine River Cruise, Versailles, Bastille square, the little Statue of Liberty, and she saw the Sacré-Cœur Basilica from the train. She attended a ballet at the Opera Palais Garnier last Friday evening - it was a tribute to Roland Petit and the farewell to Eleonora Abbagnato.

Last edited by Ihope2travel; Jun 13th, 2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Monet's House and Garden in Giverny... assuming it's open and tickets are available. The gardens should be pretty spectacular right now.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Assuming one can get in because they are limiting the number of visitors, the Musée Marmottan Monet and/or the Rodin museum.

IMO a trip out of town to Giverny might be too much on one's last day.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Carnavalet museum of the history of Paris is both fascinating and free, but you have to book a time and date online before you go.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest she metro to Blanche. Walk uphill on Rue Lepic to the top, continue wandering uphill past the windmill at the top of Rue Tholoze, through Montmartre until she reaches Sacre Coeur. Sit on the steps, enjoy the views. On the far side, behind, walk down Rue Lamarck, detour to the vineyard, then on to metro Lamarck-Caulaincourt or, alternatively if she has time, instead of Rue Lamarck, down stairs on the right side of the basilica for a walk through the multi-cultural neighborhood at the bottom, less explored by tourists so a chance of a meal at a restaurant catering to immigrants & locals. Wandering is always the first & last thing I do anywhere & especially in Paris.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Jun 13th, 2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Some of our favorite placesI didn’t see on your list above:
St. Chapelle and also the flower market near by. It’s near Notre Dame.
Luxembourg Gardens
Park Monceau
The Pantheon
Our favorite museum,The Carnavalet was closed for renovation but I see kerouac mentions it above.
Place Vosges
Place Dauphine
Rue de Buci

I could go on and on………
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 10:24 AM

The Carnavalet reopened three weeks ago after being closed for 4 years.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 11:26 AM

The Promenade plantée

https://flic.kr/p/foRAUZ
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 11:55 AM

In her neighborhood:

Saint Paul-Saint Louis church, Place des Vosges and Maison de Victor Hugo.

Walk across the Sully bridge to the Ile-Saint-Louis, then walk across the island to the west end for a view of Notre Dame. If you feel like an ice cream, you will find the famous Berthillon on the island.

Or, walk across the Sully bridge and continue to the left bank where you can see the interesting architecture of the Institute du Monde Arabe and, if it's open, take the elevator up to the top floor for a wonderful view.

All of these are "not pricy". In fact, they are free. Well, not the ice cream.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 12:39 PM

The Maison de Victor Hugo also just reopened after being closed for renovation (and a pandemic) for a year.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the weather allows, the Ballon de Paris, a trip on a tethered balloon to the height of the Eifel Tower. Check their website to find out if they are flying on that day. https://www.ballondeparis.com/

Last edited by AJPeabody; Jun 13th, 2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would recommend a visit to the Conciergerie, used as a prison during the Revolution and where Marie-Antoinette spent her last days, also marvelous medieval architecture) and the nearly adjacent Sainte Chapelle with its spectacular stained glass. You can purchase a combo ticket to save some money.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 07:33 PM

The Rodin Museum, St. Chapelle and the Musee de l'Orangerie would be my top choices with the latter two considered musts for me. My daughter, would also agree. A bonus is they don't take long to visit, assuming there isn't a long line to get in.

For some reason, the Carnavalet museum is not one of my favorites, but I know others love it.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 06:35 PM

I like Canal St-Martin, running from Bastille to la Villette. Unlike the Seine cruises, this is a small-boat route, complete with locks and often looking into apartment windows. La Villette is home to the science and industry museum, a music museum and the new philharmonic hall. One warning: The first third of the route from Arsenal is in a tunnel, surely novel if not exactly picturesque.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And the choice actually was ? ? ?