Road trip september 2021

Old Jun 6th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip september 2021

Dear all

Hope you are doing fine. We are a family of four planning a trip to the US next September. Originally, we had a Buenos Aires - New York round trip but do to covid restrictions the airline cancelled the route. Now we have a Buenos Aires - Miami round trip so we decided to change our trip plans. We are not going to stay in Miami because this trip is not a laid back at the beach type but we want to get to know two or tree cities. We arrive in Miami September 11 and our flight back home is September 30.
So, we are going to rent a car in Miami Airport and head towards New Orleans. I know that's about 1200KM - a long drive - but as we have two drivers we will manage.
First question is: do you recommend driving straight to NoLa? Or should we make a middle stop to enjoy the trip in, for example, Jacksonville or San Agustin?
Next question: What about NoLa? 3 full days is ok?
After NoLa we have two options: Memphis or Nashville. Should we go to two days to each city?
Lastly, from Memphis or Nashville (it depends on which city we visit) we are heading to NY, to stay in the Big Apple for about nine days. And after that we take a flight to Miami to head back home (allowing one day there to relax a little bit and shop)

Any help is welcome

Cheers!
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 08:16 AM

You are brave people! I don't plan anything for more than two weeks. The pandemic does not sleep)))
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

sharonhook We know there's Covid 19, but if we have to cancel we'll cancel without hesitation. But, meanwhile, we plan our trip...
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 03:32 PM

It’s about 12 hours drive time not including stops for meals, gas and rest room breaks from Miami to New Orleans so figure on closer to 14 hours elapsed time “on the road”. If you are comfortable with driving that much in one day then go for it. Personally, if you are hoping to visit a few different cities then you might enjoy making a stopover. Stopping in St. Augustine would add some extra drive time but it’s an interesting city and worth visiting for a day..
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 04:17 PM

1). I would break the drive up to 2 days with a stop in St. A. Don’t wear yourself out on the first day of your trip.
2) 3 days is good.
3) I’d stay only in Memphis. Skip Nashville, but that’s just me. Nashville didn’t do much for me.
4) For sure you want to do something else than just all 9 days in NYC. Side trips to DC and Boston are well worth it.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Ey Thanks for answers.

RoamsAround yes, we've decided to split the drive in two days, to enjoy it more.
coolcamden perfect, thanks
3) noted, i think we are going to do that, so that we are not only two days in a city
4) we thought going to DC (We've already been in Boston), but we would like to stay in NY many days because, but we might give the DC idea a second thought. DC in 2 days is Ok? Or 3?

thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by federicofalasca3652
Ey Thanks for answers.

RoamsAround yes, we've decided to split the drive in two days, to enjoy it more.
coolcamden perfect, thanks
3) noted, i think we are going to do that, so that we are not only two days in a city
4) we thought going to DC (We've already been in Boston), but we would like to stay in NY many days because, but we might give the DC idea a second thought. DC in 2 days is Ok? Or 3?

thanks!
3 days in DC. One day for the monuments, one day for the museums and smithsonians. One day to check out Dupont circles, Georgetown, embassy’s row, etc… 6 days is about right for NYC.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 02:35 AM

Do not miss going to Washington. IMO our capital is the most overlooked destination for foreign travellers.
Six days in NYC may still be too much.
The choice of Memphis and Nashville by the OP I assume indicates interest in jazz and country music. Both have their attractions
A stop in Asheville en route to NYC might be a nice change from big cities.

Coming from BA ARE YOU VACCINATED?
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 04:14 AM

I have no idea what will be happening by September, but right now people arriving at the airport in Miami were able to get a covid shot at the airport. It is the J&J so one shot and you are done. Reportedly some folks were making the trip just to get vaccinated.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

coolcamden Perfect! Thanks for it,

Gretchen Perfect, we've just put DC back on the calendar. My parents are getting vaccinated this week and my brother and I before the trip for sure (Here in ARG they are vaccinating by age ranges)

oldemalloy yes! I've been told that!

I cannot post the link to the calendar because I have not 10 posts.
But it's like this:

1- Saint Agustin (or any other town heading from MIA to NOLA) - 1 night
2- NoLa - 3days
3- Memphis - 3days
4- Ashville (or any other town heading from Memphis to DC) - 1 night
5 - DC - 3 days
6 - NYC - 7 days (flight to Miami)
7- MIA - 2 days

What do you think? Thanks!

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Ey There

Any recommendations on Car Rentals? I've been checking, prices are really high. 2-2,5 K USD for 11 days (Avis - Budget)

Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Hello there

Change of plans, I think, because the car was extremely expensive for 11 days and besides it's pointless to use the car in the cities, so I made another plan:

MIA - NYC - PLANE
9 DAYS NYX
NYC - DC - TRAIN
3 DAYS DC
DC - MEMPHIS - PLANE
3 DAYS MEMPHIS
MEMPHIS - NOLA - CAR
3 DAYS NOLA
NOLA - MIA PLANE
1 and half DAYS MIA
MIA-BA

What do you think? It's another idea, no long distance driving, no spending the night in motels, and no having a car in the cities which is no use.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:14 AM

I know rental cars are expensive right now, but are you sure it's more expensive than the cost of 4 people flying? Domestic flights are not that cheap either. 2 flights for 4 people could cost about $2000, but if you if find something cheaper go for it.

What you have planned is doable, but the driving distances are long and there's a lot of great stuff along the way that you'd be missing out on. If I were you I would focus on doing either just the Miami-NOLA/Memphis trip or just Miami to DC/NYC.

As an example, maybe something like:
Miami - 2 Days
Pickup rental car - South Florida Coast - 1 Day
Cape Canaveral - 1 Day
St. Augustine - 1 Day
Georgia Coast - 1 Day
Charleston - 1 Day
Drive to DC, drop off rental car in evening - 1 Day
DC - 3 Days
Train to Philly - 2 Days
Train to NYC - 6 Days,
Fly back to Miami, fly home - 1 Day

Still a little rushed, but there's fewer long driving distances, fewer days with a rental car in total (only 6), and you get to see some interesting stuff outside the big cities.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Ey SirhanTheStrong thanks for your input! I've just made a budget. Plain tickets + Car + Train to visit NYC-DC-MEMPHIS-NOLA-MIA is about 2200USD, while the car option + fuel + a flight back from NY is about 2700 USD

That's a nice schedule the one you made. Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 02:28 AM

Flying is going to lock you into your number of days in each place.
Nine days in NYC is going to wear you out IMO. Your calling it "the Big Apple" tells me a lot of expectations. It's a great city no doubt.
Three days in Memphis is a lot.
HOw old are the children you are bringing?
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen Hi, thanks for your input. This is the 4th time we are going to NY, so believe me we like the city very much. Memphis will be 2 days and a half approx because we have to fly from DC. We don't want to rush from one city to the other because is really tiring.
I'm one of the children, I'm 33 (LOL) My parents are 56-57, my brother 30 and I'm 33, so no need to worry about the ages hahahah
By the way, how much does a PCR test costs? Do you know?
Thanks!!
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 09:19 AM

NOt worried about your age--just wondering about interests.

And it is possible that by saving the $500 or so on car rental you are missing some ways of knowing about small town American life, etc.

I would explore whether Memphis or Nashville is the better single choice also. Each has its charms. Maybe both if you had a car and trimmed some time from others.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 10:29 AM

I really like your revised itinerary. In fact as I was reading through the thread, reversing your itinerary was going to be my main suggestion. New Orleans will still be very hot in early September and may still be really hot in late september but perhaps things will have cooled a bit by then.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen Yes, you have a point there. I would love to get to know small American towns, but that should be a whole trip i think (i fantasize with an RV) We are still deciding whether going to Memphis or Nashville. It seems that Memphis has more votes in my family.

williamscb13 thanks!! Yes I've read about NoLa's weather in September, let's hope this September is not sooo hot.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 06:02 PM

Hey Fred!

I'm native to New Orleans and would say that 3 full days could be perfect. But it would depend on what type of trip you were looking for. Our specialties are dining, eating, and relaxing. The national WWII museum is a must see as well. There are other fun things to do if you want to get out into the swamps. If you're into it, the cemetery tours in the city are even fun as a local.

If you're still undecided on the drive from Miami, I would suggest a stop in St. Aug as well. If you don't want to go out of the way, I very much enjoy driving down the coast. Between Panama City and Gulf Shores is a beautiful ride, but not necessary if you're concerned with staying on time.

I visit both Memphis and Nashville regularly for work. I really would be stumpped on what to do with 3 days in Memphis. There's Graceland of course and there's Beale street. However, I'd cap that out at 2 days max. BUT I'd put my preference on Nashville. In general I think it's more fun. Tons of live music, of all kinds. There's the grand old opery, country music hall of fame, and so much nature to see with very small detours out of the city. IMO Nashville is a cleaner, nicer city as well.

I agree - DON'T miss DC! It's a favorite of mine and if you are interested in any museums or history you could spend lots of time there. I could spend a full day in certain places like the holocaust museum or Smithsonian natural life. amazing. Definitely worth shaving some days from NYC for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -