Search

Luggage styles, sizes, brands

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage styles, sizes, brands

Hi all,

After 17 years, I am replacing my Samsonite soft side luggage set! I'd love opinions on what you all use for a 2-4 week trip to Europe. Our traveling style is everything from Barcelona walking tours and Edinburgh hikes to the London theatre and Paris rooftop bars.

I've narrowed it down to:
-Briggs and Riley expandable hardshell in medium (lifetime warranty for everything)
-Victorinox Airox hardshell (non-expandable) in large or medium (11 year warranty except exceptions of seams, stitching, fabric & zipper tape after year 1
-TUMI V3 expandable hardshell in large or medium on sale then on sale again (about the same price as as the Victorinox!) (1year warranty of everything, 4 more years on normal wear and tear)

I don't want to get caught up with labels and brands. I want good quality and a good value. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 09:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- for me 2 night, 2 weeks, 2 months makes no difference. I only ever take a 21 or 22 inch roller bag. (I actually take an 18 or 19 incher for the really short 2 to 4 night trips). I used to prefer hard shell but for the last 6 or 7 years I've converted to soft sided and the lighter the better. Since it is almost always carried on, it doesn't have to be the most sturdy option. My new best friend is a Lipault 22 inch spinner that weighs 4.8 lbs. (I really prefer 2 wheels to 4 wheel because there are lighter and can't roll away from you on every ramp or slope, but two wheelers are getting harder to find)
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also prefer two wheelers. The ones we use came from tag sales.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 05:15 AM

I'm another fan of two wheelers, and however long the trip I don't travel with more than I can carry, and that means nothing bigger than 22 inches. My current bag came from Eagle Creek and they don't make that exact style any more, but I think this is closest (they still offer two wheelers):

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/2-wh...ariationId=199
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 05:23 AM

We bought two sets of Tumi Latitude luggage about 3 years ago and like them a lot, so much so that we gave away all our other luggage. They are light weight, hold a lot of clothes and very sturdy and "free wheeling".
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 05:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We have lipault in 18, and 20 inches. I just bought a hard sided 20 inch lipault and gave my husband my 20 inch so he would lighten up his back pack. He was using the 18 inch. My hard sided is a spinner. My niece loves her Away bag. We use trains often and have to pack light for the back. They make a great tote that slips over the handle. I watch their sales.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I’m so impressed that you all travel with a carry on to Europe! I just can’t quite do it but definitely want lighter luggage.

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:21 PM

My packing list dates back to when I was traveling with a backpack instead of a two-wheeler, but aside from fewer and smaller electronics hasn't changed much. I'm posting the link to Part Three, the clothes section, links to the earlier sections are at the top left:

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ke-part-three/

I'm pretty sure janisj has a list, too. Note that I do my laundry in the bathroom sink, and these days I take three lightweight plastic clothes hangers. If you're going to Europe you could drop laundry off at a laundromat instead.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:41 PM

We do laundry, in apartments with a washing machine or in a sink. On the upcoming trip, we have no washing machine for four days so will do some sink washing or do a load at a laundromat. I have already found one close by. The one in Brussels even has a dryer. I have a travel friend that wants another suitcase. She was wheeling all my suitcases through my house this morning and said mine was just too small for her as she is single and has to look good. WTF? My husband said he is not even helping her get her suitcase in the overhead or up a flight of steps. You pack it you carry it is my motto. Seriously, one time someone eyeballed my suitcase on the way to the airport and said my case wasn't bulging and could they put some of their stuff in my case. Hell no. Duty free is where I souvenir shop.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by lrice
I’m so impressed that you all travel with a carry on to Europe! I just can’t quite do it but definitely want lighter luggage.

I much MUCH prefer carry-on sized wheelie bags and can manage to pack everything I've ever needed (even on one trip that included formal wear for Royal event. Even manage on 7 or 14 night cruises). And I'm not a one-pair-of-shoes, same outfits for days on end, super casual traveler. But for those who just can't imagine downsizing - I recommend nothing larger than a 24 inch bag. It would have to be checked, but that little bit more space lets you cram in more 'stuff' but its still pretty easy to handle on trains, buses, climbing stairs, in car trunks etc. Bigger than that just get heavy / unwieldy

One hint that folks in my packing classes glom on to is to not think of it as a 14 (or 18, or 21) day trip, which can be overwhelming. Pack for a 4 or 5 day trip.. By doing a little laundry and mix-matching and incorporating layers you can fit 20-30 unique outfits into a rollaboard.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 04:32 AM

Sorry I got off the subject. I do like my Lilpault and the soft side ones have a great handle on the side for easier handling on steps. Many compartments and still like eagle creek compression bags if I need a goose down coat.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 04:33 AM

Irice, luggage is a necessary evil and having less of it is liberating. If you can't imagine travelling with less, I'd use a small rolling suitcase and a day pack. Together, they will give you the capacity of a large suitcase but it is much easier to manage two small bags. Like others, I prefer a rolling case with two wheels and I'm totally mystified as to why four wheeled cases are so popular in shops. Once you move beyond the airport or marbled floored hotel foyers, they are just not as good as two wheel cases. I also prefer wheels which are recessed as they are sturdier.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 05:04 AM

I'm totally mystified as to why four wheeled cases are so popular in shops. Once you move beyond the airport or marbled floored hotel foyers, they are just not as good as two wheel cases.
I suspect a lot of traveler's don't move beyond them, at least not with their cases. That's why somewhere like Eagle Creek is a better bet for finding two wheelers.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 11:59 AM

Because four wheelers can be turned to go down narrow airline aisles easily. And can be pushed in front of you. And are easier to maneuver in general .

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 5th, 2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 02:35 PM

I also have an Eagle Creek rolling suitcase, which I find great. And it could easily move down the aisle on the plane and I can push it (on smooth surfaces) or pull it. It's of a size which even when stuffed to the gills I can still lift it, even though it's a bit heavy for me (I'm not very strong). When I travel to Europe I go for at least 5 weeks and find that and a day pack is more than enough, summer or winter. Mine is 45litres and expands to slightly more but I've never needed the expansion. I typically have 12-14kg across both bags. Next time, though, I'd like to take less if I can. I invariably come home with something I haven't worn. My problem is always shoes as, outside of winter, I can't seem to get by with less than three pairs because of the different activities I like to do.

Australian airlines mostly have a 7kg limit on cabin baggage so even though my case measures within the boundaries of a carry on bag, I usually check it because it weighs more than the limit. 'Carry on' means different things for different airlines.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 03:18 PM

Which model of Eagle Creek, dreamon? They make both 4- and 2-wheeled. I assume if you are wheeling a two-wheeled one down the aisle, it isn't side ways, but being pulled or pushed?
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 04:28 PM

If you follow the link I posted, I have pulled that Eagle Creek two-wheeler down airplane aisles. I have pushed it on occasion, too, and not worried about it taking off on its own, lol.

Edited to add: how wide is your four wheeler that you need to turn it sideways?

Last edited by thursdaysd; Jun 5th, 2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 06:07 PM

I can't remember the model but it's a bit different to the one posted by thursdaysd - slightly bigger capacity, with fewer external pockets (which do looks good) but lighter. From memory, mine is 41litres, expanding to 45litres and weighs 2.4kg. I suspect mine is an older model (I've had it a good few years now). It has two wheels (recessed). I can push or pull it through narrow spaces. It doesn't need to go sideways (that spells too big to me). It's okay on rough surfaces, such as cobblestones (although I hate the noise you get from wheeling cases over cobblestones). I can put my daypack (if I have one) on my back or on top of the case but I find it easier to do the former most of the time.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I think that weight when empty is important. A heavy case is unwanted weight. It pays to check empty weight when buying. I remember a friend had a great case but it was nearly 5kg empty, which was a problem for her so she ditched it after one trip. If I have a 10kg bag and a quarter of that is the case itself, that makes a difference to how much stuff I can haul.

I agree with whoever said that the length of time away doesn't make much difference. I pack the pretty much the same amount whether I'm away for a week or several months.

All this talk of packing is making me wish - more than ever - that I had plans to go on holidays, but sadly that's a long way off. I love to travel so much! So while I'm stuck at home I dream and hope - and check forums like this one.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 07:51 PM

dreamon: "My problem is always shoes as, outside of winter, I can't seem to get by with less than three pairs because of the different activities I like to do."

I typically take 3 pair of shoes on most trips, occasionally 4. One pair on my feet on the planes and 2 (or 3) pair in the rollaboard. Shoes is definitely one thing I won't skimp on. Sore feet can ruin a trip. I haven't taken heels in years since a nice pair of flats is fine for all but the dressiest of events. I stuff the shoes with small miscellaneous things like chargers, socks, cords, gloves, etc so they really are storage spaces.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
If you follow the link I posted, I have pulled that Eagle Creek two-wheeler down airplane aisles. I have pushed it on occasion, too, and not worried about it taking off on its own, lol.

Edited to add: how wide is your four wheeler that you need to turn it sideways?
About 14 inches wide, the max for carryons. How wide are your aisles that you don't need to, LOL?

I agree that weight of the empty bag is important. Too many of them have extra zippers and seem to creep up to the 7-8 lb and more range.

I'm packing today for an Alaskan adventure and struggling with the "bring rubber boots or not" conundrum. We have two days with tundra hiking.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 6th, 2021 at 06:28 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -