Kayaking in Maui

Old May 31st, 2021, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayaking in Maui

Have just booked a flight for 2 weeks Maui- my first time (husband’s second), next April. We are avid kayakers, mainly ocean kayaking, and would love to find some great accommodation where we could put in from where we are staying. Will probably choose 2 spots either split 7/7 or something like that depending on what we can find. Any recommendations for resorts or Airbnb’s, condo rentals with good kayaking from the site or nearby would be much appreciated! 😊thx.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 08:39 AM

Since you're not getting any hits here, you might try posting on the TripAdvisor Maui forum. It's pretty active.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Very good advice above. I'm on the Hawaii forums over there too... super helpful and active.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AustinTraveler
Since you're not getting any hits here, you might try posting on the TripAdvisor Maui forum. It's pretty active.
Thanks! I
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Next trip to Hawaii, for kayaking try Kauai, has 3 rivers you can kayak on, plus ocean kayaking mid April to fall (dependent on the ocean) you can kayak the Na Pali coast (I have done the coastal trip part way on a catamaran and the scenery is spectacular).
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamie99
Next trip to Hawaii, for kayaking try Kauai, has 3 rivers you can kayak on, plus ocean kayaking mid April to fall (dependent on the ocean) you can kayak the Na Pali coast (I have done the coastal trip part way on a catamaran and the scenery is spectacular).
Based on further reading and your comments I’m going to spend 5 days in Kauai. I guess I should do a separate post for questions about a good base for Kayaking in Kauai? Is there one. Is 5 days a decent amount of time. Thank you for helping me clarify this in my own mind.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 11:42 AM

You can snorkel either the Hanalei River or the Wailua River on your own or with a group. I am partial to the North Shore which is just beautiful and Kayak Hanalei will let you launch from their dock rather than have to tie the kayak to the top of your car. Not real familiar with outfits on the Wailua but it is also a very popular river to kayak. Wherever you stay, you will be driving. Some folks like to stay on the East Shore, but you still have to drive to the North Shore beaches like Ke'e and Tunnels, the Lighthouse, etc. and to the South Shore for Waimea Canyon, etc. And some folks like to stay in Poipu on the South Shore. You should do a little crash reading about the different areas to pick the area that is right for your tastes.
I also agree with Suze about checking the Forums on Trip Advisor for both Maui and Kauai as they are much more active.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 03:55 PM

I remember Kayak Kauai from my first visit in the late '70s. They're still in business out of Kapa' a.!

Note that some routes in the north have access issues due to road repairs.

I'