Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

July 4 week - Watertown/Alexandria Bay/Utica...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2021, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids will be at a summer camp outside Lowville the week of July 4 and my husband and I need to find somewhere to be during that time, as we're traveling from SW Ohio about 11 hours away. We'll need to work some of the time, so good WiFi is a must, ruling out a lot of the really pretty cabin and remote locations. What we'd love to do is stay in a hotel (suite if we can find it) where we can pop out and walk around to grab food or visit a park etc. - basically a good size town, at least, versus an unworkable commercial strip. We'd love to not have to drive everywhere.

I'm having trouble judging the size and amenities of the towns and cities within 2 hours of Lowville. Something like Utica seems doable, but on the other hand, being by the water near 1,000 Islands would be lovely. There's not a ton of availability left at this point in those areas, but I have found a few possibilities. We do have enough time to poke around the area where we stay, so a place where there are tours or particularly cool tourist attractions are definitely of interest.

We aren't totally opposed to an Airbnb situation, but because of the work factor, we usually prefer a decent size hotel for various reasons (especially if there's a restaurant or bar on site).

Mostly, we're just completely unfamiliar with this region, barring a family road trip when I was a teen to Lake Placid and Elmira Horseheads, which appear to be nearly 3 hours form camp - not sure it's worthwhile to venture that far. I would so appreciate some insider info!

Thanks so much.
Old May 12th, 2021, 06:57 AM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utica - i would not even consider for an overnight, let alone a whole week. A whole host of other towns between Loville, Utica, etc I wouldn't (won't) touch either. Numerous areas with nice cabins and lakes, but nothing of a town to write home about....

Somewhere like Old Forge might be an option, but broadband might be an issue so you'd want to get an internet speed test from whereever you were looking to stay. Anything consistently over 10mbps download would be ok for work. 20mbps or more better. For places that have good cell coverage getting a wifi hotspot could also be an option.