Remarkable Art Exhibition in Darwin

Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Remarkable Art Exhibition in Darwin

I received The Guardian's art newsletter this morning & wandering through the topics, one made me wish I could visit Darwin before late June to see an exhibition at the Library & Archives of the Northern Territory, A Little Bit of Justice: the Drawings of Charlie Flannigan. Charlie was an Aboriginal man sentenced to death for a killing and in prison while awaiting execution took up drawing. Some of the drawings are shown in the article and I find both drawings and story remarkable. Lucky you who can go see it. And if anyone does see it, please come back & tell us what you think.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...rlie-flannigan
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Truly extraordinary, Mme P. Thank you so much for posting the article about it. Sadly I'm as unable to go and see it as you are but I hope someone does and reports back.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds wonderful. we were just talking about Darwin and how much we love it. Our son lived there for many years.
Might be worth a trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
please let us know if you go, Northie.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by annhig
please let us know if you go, Northie.
I will let you know.
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some Australians are wary of travelling interstate because of sudden border closures and possible enforced quarantine. This has happened numerous times - and again this week. That's not necessarily a bad thing as it stopped Australians moving around the country (international travel also banned for most) and consequently we've had very low numbers of COVID illness and death. Vaccination here is going very slowly so who knows when we'll be able to easily travel from state to state as we did before.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 02:27 AM

KayF - my wife and I have not travelled interstate at all in the last year for the reasons you mention - but now we must gird our loins and venture out - have a trip to Melbourne from Sydney planned for next month and then to Brisbane the following month - fingers (and every other crossable part of my body) crossed!