Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First Time to Maui - Where to Stay on West Side

Old Apr 21st, 2021, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We are planning to go to Hawaii winter 2021. We want to spend about a week -10 days on Maui. I've been looking for a place to stay on the west coast and all I see are high rises/condos. Would prefer to stay in a cottage or small house, but not seeing any. Really want a nice view. Looking for recommendations of where to stay on the West side of Maui for 3-4 nights. Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 09:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
For the Maui trip my DW and I took, a two story condo unit in Kehei worked fine for us. We watched some television in the evening. In the morning we ate breakfast and packed good lunches and got out to see as much of the island as we could. For the interior of the island, see Iao Needle and schedule a morning drive up to the observation area on Haleakala. Parking is limited up there so there are a limited number of sunrise entry permits daily.
We did go to a luau in Lahaina with our daughter and SIL. Spend some time wandering around Lahaina. See the lighthouse and the large historic tree. If you are looking for a muumuu, visit Hilo Hatties. Never mind that there is not a Hilo Hatties on the island of Hawaii.
I'm hoping that the rental car companies didn't sell off most of their fleets last year. I've heard that in some places they are using UHaul trucks to meet demand. Expect to pay a lot for a rental car in any case.
Our condo was across the street from a public beach in Kehei. After we paid for the unit, the code to get in the door was emailed to us. We never did see any management.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I much prefer South Kihei/Wailea to the west side. Kaanapali is just too high rise and high prices. I rent an apartment at Mana Kai in South Kihei. The Kihei Surfside next door is also wonderful.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I really enjoyed staying in Lahaina, because I like to be able to walk to a town, not be on a resort property, but we had a condo (Lahaina Shores).
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:59 AM

Check out Napili. It's the only place I would stay if I returned to Maui. Low rise condos on the most spectacular bay where it's calm and great for snorkling.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:39 PM

Since you are asking about West side of Maui in particular...check out The Ridge at Kapalua. I have not stayed, but it was highly recommended by a trusted Hawaii visitor. VRBO condo rentals are available.
Also, as cited above by AustinTraveler, nearby Napili Bay is beautiful! ( Kapalua is a few minutes up the road from Napili.)
Old May 4th, 2021, 08:42 AM

I'm pretty sure we stayed at Kapalua Ridge. It was wonderful with beautiful grounds and pool. My only complaint was the rocky shore and rough ocean. That's why we would walk to Kapalua or Napili Bay.
Old May 4th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been years, but we enjoyed our condo at Napili Point, which shares a beach with Napili Shores.
The little cove there, Honokeana, is a fantastic place to snorkel from shore. At the time, no one else seemed to know about it.
https://www.napili.com
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:43 AM

Honokeana Bay is a great spot for snorkeling with many turtles there. If you enter the bay from the north side take extreme care, it can be dangerous. Stop and watch the waves a little further out and if it's choppy I'd wait for another day. If the water is calm you'll have a great time.