Home away from home for a month

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would you go... if you had a month this summer in the US and you wanted a place close to a lake and maybe mountains/maybe not. It's for a family with teenagers. I'm at a loss. Montana? Colorado- where in Colorado? Michigan? Where? Maine? Not looking for a big city vibe. Want to stay in one place- a house- and enjoy what is around. Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 07:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Coeur d' Alene Idaho. Fly or take the Amtrak Empire Builder to Spokane WA.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lots of great cottage on lakes opportunities in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 07:00 PM

I would hit the beach.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 02:10 AM

Suze makes a good point about VT and NH. What do the teens like to do? NH has tons of hiking. Kayaking is popular and fat tire mountain biking seems to be the newest craze. There's a biking place in Northfield NH which is a little south of Lake Winnipesaukee but there are free trails around (my son uses an app to locate). If you chose the north side of Lake Winnipesaukee, the mountains are just a bit further north. There are quiet areas of Lake W and also smaller lakes to choose from. Winnisquam is much quieter. There are a couple of summer theater places but not sure if they will be open this summer. Some places also have free outdoor concerts. There is one popular small but secluded large pond near us that is popular with kayakers. Not sure if the draw is the wildlife Ii.e. loons) you can see or going to the best ice cream stand afterwards. I would also recommend a place near PYO places for strawberries and blueberries. Also great weekly farmers markets.

In Maine I would probably choose something in the Harpswell area which is just east of Brunswick, a nice college town. Several conservation areas to hike and explore.
Any place you look at, check internet. We've rented air b&b places that are a bit out of the way and, frankly, I can't go without internet.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 02:50 AM

If you come from a place that is not "beachy" the teens mitght really like the beach rather than a lake. Food at beach areas is always full of fresh seafood.
SC coast around Charleston which isnot a beg city vibe but historic and interesting for a side trip.
Grand Lake in Colorado is always recommended here--side trips to RMNP and Denver Or even a couple of days in Santa Fe (I am sort of assuming this is a non-US citizen).
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 06:31 AM

Where ever you decide you should book immediately. Here at the New Jersey shore summer rentals are few and far between. Many people are opting to vacation in the US and this has caused rentals to be booked already. If it weren't for that I would recommend one of our Shore towns.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The Adirondacks haslakes, hiking, rafting, tubing on the Hudson. Vermont and New Hampshire the same. Hurry though and get the rental sorted. Rentals and property are going fast. My niece bought and sold on one weekend. She had so many offers she had to decide what offer to take. One person wrote the sweetest letter about why their house was perfect and she picked them. I was having a hard time finding a hotel and waiting now on an airbnb. I think because it is only for 3 nights they are hesitant.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyplace nice is gonna be booked soon for the entire summer, it's a bloodbath out there. And there are no rental cars available so you should consider a place to which you can all drive rather than fly.

Here's one available July 17 to Aug 14 for 280K a month, lol: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8304790

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Apr 15th, 2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

We do live in the US. In the south. Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 05:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
Anyplace nice is gonna be booked soon for the entire summer, it's a bloodbath out there. And there are no rental cars available so you should consider a place to which you can all drive rather than fly.

Here's one available July 17 to Aug 14 for 280K a month, lol: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8304790
HeHe, I was laughing about a tent for 150.00 a night with an outhouse.
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 10:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
dfrostnh ~ Thanks for those details. I lived in the area so can picture lots of different cottage & lake situations, but have no recent or specific information to share. Except those are two very beautiful states! If you guys didn't have such crazy winters, I'd probably still be living in Brattleboro
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This quiet, private place is at the edge of the White Mountains, with several lake areas to explore nearby or within 40 mins drive.
And for day trips an 80 min drive will get you to the beaches of Southern Maine. Shops and movie theatres etc are about a 20 min drive to the Conway NH area.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/37123759

Old Apr 19th, 2021, 07:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Wisconsin? Gorgeous lake country there, and VRBO cabin rentals. The Three Lakes area, or Elkhart Lake.