Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alaska - June/July 2022 - advice - NParks - Cruises - Fly Fishing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -
I'm starting to plan a trip to Alaska for my husband and I for next year (2022) end of June/ early July when we both hope to retire. We're looking at a 2 week trip - possibly one week on a cruise and then one week on land.
We are big fans of US National Parks so we would like to include Denali, Kenai Fjords and Glacier Bay National Parks.
We would like to do some type of cruise on a smaller ship/boat - not a big cruise ship - for part of the "Inside Passage". We've been looking at UnCruise, although they are pricey - but have great reviews.
We would like to kayak and do lighter hiking, see wildlife (bears, puffins, whales, etc) and glaciers. I am into photography.
I would like to see if we can do it without a rental car. I understand the flexibility of having a car so you can stop whenever and wherever you want, but it always seems like the person driving is missing something or it adds stress.

Some thoughts -
Denali National Park: take train there and back from Anchorage (Glodstar or the Wilderness Express), spend two nights at the Denali Backcountry Lodge.
Kenai Fjords National Park: spend two nights at the Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge which includes the boat ride from Seward (Alaska Wildland Adventures)
Glacier Bay National Parks: considering an UnCruise that includes two days and one night "in" the park. (But it doesn't include Sitka which I would love to visit.)

My husband would like to spend one day fly-fishing for trout. I was looking at the Kenai Riverside Lodge (also through Alaska Wildland Adventures) where we could stay for 2 nights giving him one day for fishing.

I don't feel Fairbanks or Talkeetna are must sees for us.

Any initial thoughts or recommendations about our high level plan? Any questions that you think we need to answer to help us move to the next phase of planning?
Thank you for any direction you can provide.
Very excited about our first (hopefully not only) trip to Alaska.
amp
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 01:43 AM

Wish you an amazing trip to Alaska. Hope you'll enjoy all the things in Alaska very much.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 06:01 AM

"My husband would like to spend one day fly-fishing for trout. I was looking at the Kenai Riverside Lodge (also through Alaska Wildland Adventures) where we could stay for 2 nights giving him one day for fishing."
We haven't gone yet but are leaving in a few weeks. We will be fishing with FishHound Expeditions for trout just outside Wasilla. They have great reviews and from the research I did, floating the Kenai is really hit and miss.