Charleston Restaurant Recommendations

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston Restaurant Recommendations

My husband and I are going to Charleston and Savannah in May. I see that there are a lot of restaurant choices in Charleston--we will be there for 3 nights. We are foodies and would love to hear recommendations regarding where we should go in Charleston. I booked Elizabeth on 37 and Local 11 Ten in Savannah. Tried to get into the Pink but the times didn't work.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 06:08 AM

One of our favorites: https://magnoliascharleston.com/
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Hi, welcome to Charleston! We have lived here for almost our whole lives. For restaurants downtown, our favorites are 82 Queen, Pooghans Porch, Leons, Edmunds Oast and Cru Cafe. For pubs/pub fair, try The Royal American, Tattooed Moose, Uptown Social (younger crowd), Burns Ally.
If you want to venture out of downtown, I highly recommend Wild Olive and The Royal Tern on Johns Island. If you make it to the other side of Charleston across the bridge on the Mt Pleasant side, you can find all kinds of restaurants shem creek that have good food, and great views of the water. Red's Ice House is a favorite for beer and oysters.
We write a blog, and you're welcomed to check out our Charleston posts if you want some more suggestions on things to do.
https://www.thetravelinglocals.com/p...south-carolina
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy City Heaven. A pre-Thanksgiving food and wine fest
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 12:39 PM
J62

For good oysters, served fast and at a good price, without a long wait to get a table go to AW Shucks. Outdoor seating is also more comfortable (for me) than inside with a crowd and no masks.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions! Going through them has helped me to narrow things down. I must say that there sure are a lot of great restaurants. So, with all that said, we are going to choose Magnolias, Cru Cafe and Fig.
We like the descriptions of inventive menus.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by drkathej
My husband and I are going to Charleston and Savannah in May. I see that there are a lot of restaurant choices in Charleston--we will be there for 3 nights. We are foodies and would love to hear recommendations regarding where we should go in Charleston. I booked Elizabeth on 37 and Local 11 Ten in Savannah. Tried to get into the Pink but the times didn't work.
Both towns are very cool we stay at both places last summer your going to have a great time. Our favorite restaurant in Charleston was in the Hotel Bennett where we also happened to stay. The food was outstanding so was the stay at this hotel, it's a special place. There are tons of good restaurants in Charleston, it's the best area to eat in down south about anywhere you pick is going to be good. We didn't have a bad meal while we were there.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 01:18 PM

I am very surprised that no one recommended the restaurants of celebrity chef Sean Brock- Husk and McCrady's. We had a fabulous dinner at McCrady's before Brock became famous. He's now on every TV show.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ethrush
I am very surprised that no one recommended the restaurants of celebrity chef Sean Brock- Husk and McCrady's. We had a fabulous dinner at McCrady's before Brock became famous. He's now on every TV show.
Unfortunately McCrady’s closed recently. And Sean Brock has moved on from Husk now and has little to do with it anymore, sadly. However, I agree with Husk, well worth a trip for brunch, lunch or dinner! And there’s a separate bourbon with lots of rare bourbon and whiskey.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheTravelingLocals
Hi, welcome to Charleston! We have lived here for almost our whole lives. For restaurants downtown, our favorites are 82 Queen, Pooghans Porch, Leons, Edmunds Oast and Cru Cafe. For pubs/pub fair, try The Royal American, Tattooed Moose, Uptown Social (younger crowd), Burns Ally.
If you want to venture out of downtown, I highly recommend Wild Olive and The Royal Tern on Johns Island. If you make it to the other side of Charleston across the bridge on the Mt Pleasant side, you can find all kinds of restaurants shem creek that have good food, and great views of the water. Red's Ice House is a favorite for beer and oysters.
We write a blog, and you're welcomed to check out our Charleston posts if you want some more suggestions on things to do.
https://www.thetravelinglocals.com/p...south-carolina
Thank you for including the link to your blog! We will be spending a few days in Charleston as well as Kiawah Island and enjoyed your suggestions on things one might want to do. Much appreciated!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 02:38 AM

Here's a Garden and Gun article from April that gives some interesting restaurant suggestions. Our kids' favorite place that is in the article is Xi Bao Biscuit and their favorite dish is pictured--a cabbage pancake. They have opened in Charlotte now and I can attest it is DEEElicious!!
https://gardenandgun.com/travel-guid...de-charleston/

Here is also a link to Vivian Howard's new restaurant Lenoir
https://carolinas.eater.com/2021/4/1...taurant-lenoir

Last edited by Gretchen; Jun 17th, 2021 at 02:41 AM.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sapphire
Thank you for including the link to your blog! We will be spending a few days in Charleston as well as Kiawah Island and enjoyed your suggestions on things one might want to do. Much appreciated!
Thank you, you are very welcome! Beachwalker Park on Kiawah is very nice. We also like Bohicket Marina for lunch and a cold beer on the river. Salty Dog Cafe is a nice spot right on the water. Enjoy!