Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica help - 11 days in may - montezuma/ylang ylang or osa - iguana/bosque or ti

Search

Costa Rica help - 11 days in may - montezuma/ylang ylang or osa - iguana/bosque or ti

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2021, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling with our almost 2-year-old daughter to Costa Rica at the end of April for about 11 days. We are not wanting to rent a car and we were a place to stay where we could easily be active and have adventures - Swimming, horseback riding, some hiking (she’s not good for a long way and not sure if we can bring her hiking pack with baggage restrictions) surfing, kayaking, bikes, dolphins, animals etc. We had originally booked into Tiskita But having a hard time finding out information about people’s experiences there versus places like the bosque del Cabo. We liked the idea of being able to play in the beach there but I’m not sure it’s actually suitable for swimming -hiking in the rainforest, go horseback riding and have access to rental bikes and surf boards - We weren’t sure exactly how rustic it was or how the food would be given that it’s on a fixed schedule and apparently has a lot of rice and beans and it’s our five year anniversary trip so we are wanting to be a little bit spoiled. Someone had suggested montezuma and yLang yLang beach resort to us - This looks great for things like a/c for the little one and good food but it seems like it would require a lot of walking with her to do any activities (20 minutes to the swimming beach) which could be a lot carrying a 38 pound baby everytime we want to swim at the beach. Then I saw on here all the posts on the bosque del Cabo which looks amazing and similar to tiskita with maybe more amenities and tours and resources like they can drop you off at the beach etc as well as the iguana lodge for good swimming beach and kayaks and other - I guess has anyone had experience with these places? Is bosque/iguana worth the extra cost? Also because changing plans so late it seems they may not have availability the first night we arrive so if any suggestions of places to stay if we go that route? It would be easier if someone tells me tiskita or ylang ylang are jist amazing.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:41 PM

I love Bosque del Cabo, but I wouldn't take a two-year old there. It's pretty wild and off the grid - venomous snakes, easy to tumble off a cliff, long hot hike to the beach. It's an amazing place with great hiking and wonderful wildlife, but too hard to watch a child that small there. Food is very good though by the way. Wonderful guides, would be nice for when your child is a teenager or older.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Would Tiskita be the same then?
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Have you looked at Tulemar Bungalows at all? That's one of our favorite beach spots. It's in Manuel Antonio - lots of monkeys around, and it's right at the beach. They have a shuttle that will take you around the property if you don't want to hike it. All the spots we've stayed in have had air conditioning.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

We had originally... and then latched into the idea of tiskita ans booked airfare on sansa and then had another hotel owner suggest to us that tiskita may not be ideal - so we have to fly - either to Gulfito or tambor or we lose the tickets
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 01:56 AM

I haven't stayed at Tiskita, but it seems similar to me - no air conditioning, screened windows, etc. Manuel Antonio is the most popular spot for young families because everything is so close, and there are amenities like air conditioning, great open air restaurants etc.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 02:00 AM

I have heard great things about Ylang Ylang. Nice beach location, good food, amenities. I do believe there's lots of walking involved though.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:05 PM

Doesn't Sansa fly elsewhere, for example Quepos? Nosara? Limon? Why does it have to be those two airports?
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:30 AM

Good point - is it possible to just transfer your Sansa tickets to another location?