Winter Storm in Denver?

Search

Winter Storm in Denver?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2021, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Storm in Denver?

So we're from the sunny south and have no idea what to expect for a winter snow storm that is projected to hit Denver this weekend.

We are scheduled to pick up a rental car on Sat. Will the rental cars have "snow tires" or appropriate equipment for driving in snow? Will the rental companies even be renting cars out in severe conditions? Will airlines cancel flights?

I want to cancel the trip but we've spent so much and the ski resorts won't refund any money.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 07:18 AM

The best of all worlds!! Snow for a skiing trip. They are predicting 3-5 inches in Denver according to weather.com. That is not going to close anything down. Drive carefully. Get to the area and have fun.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 07:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, sounds like snow for a ski vacation is perfect!

However, looks like there are two blasts of snow coming in. The first one tomorrow has a few inches as Gretchen notes. But the next one on Saturday and Sunday is shaping up to be a big one, 2-3 feet of blowing snow. Over the last two days the snow forecast kept increasing, and got pushed out by a couple days. This can mean there will be a big dump, the storm is moving slowly, and can create a transportation mess.

Sorry Banff, can't answer any of your questions regarding car rental or airlines, but it is something to keep an eye on.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't remember where you decided to go.... Loveland? Your bigger problem could be road traffic as skiers head to the mountains. But, I think I also recall that you are the only experienced skier in the group/family. This storm will bring great conditions for good skiers, but beginners could find skiing in deepish snow very difficult. I have no idea how much trail grooming Loveland does.

Your questions about the car should be directed to the rental company.

There's no predicting weather impacts on the airlines. There could be delays but probably not cancellations.

FWIW, Accuweather is talking about FEET of snow in Denver from Friday to Sunday, not inches, with the most snow falling between Saturday morning and Saturday night.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winte...gh-city/911771

Loveland's weather and snow forecast... note strong wind gusts and a high of 19F predicted for Saturday.

https://skiloveland.com/snow-report/
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 12:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
They're predicting TWO FEET of snow in my CO mountain town on Saturday and Sunday. It worried me enough to reschedule my Monday COVID vaccine appointment, and I only live about five miles from the hospital where I'll be getting it.

They're also predicting lots of wind, which will just make all that snow more of a problem.

IME you can't rely on rental car companies to have proper equipment (unless perhaps you've rented a 4x4). Some vehicles aren't even adjusted for the high altitude, as they've been rented in one state and then returned in CO. I had such a car once and it was a serious struggle getting up a few of the passes around here. A fluke? Maybe, but I'd check with your rental car company.

The good news is that spring snow doesn't stick around long, the bad news is that two feet of snow is a helluva lot of snow, even for those of us used to the white stuff.

Good luck with your plans and welcome to our world

Old Mar 10th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Meteorologists are now referring to the coming storm as "historic."

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/03/...-friday-night/
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's tough because the reports seem to vary. We fly in Sat with an overnight in Den. On Sunday we are scheduled for a mid afternoon snow tubing around Breck and then skiing Monday.
SW is allowing rescheduling for flights on those storm days but NOT the return portion
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 09:25 PM

We’re in the same situation...kind of

We’ve spent tons of money. Our plan is to tribe from Houston to Amarillo, TX, then to Denver. We should arrive in Denver around 3. The weather said it’s going to be bad Saturday night, so we’re hoping we get there before the worse part hits.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 05:32 AM

I know you don't want to hear this, but on the local news last night they warned people to stay home, particularly on Sunday. CDOT has the snow plows ready to go, but even under the best of circumstances, it takes a long time to clear roads of that much snow.

Times like this I really feel for medical staff and essential workers.

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 11th, 2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Here's the CDOT site if you don't have it. There is also a new-ish CDOT Apple app, but I haven't tried it yet.
https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm

Weather Alert
Winter Storm Watch: Major winter storm expected for weekend travel . NWS Forecast models show the potential for heavy snowfall Friday night through Sunday along I-25, the Eastern Plains, and mountain corridors up to the Continental Divide. Most likely areas of impacts include I-25 from Colorado Springs to Wyoming including Denver and Monument Hill, with up to two feet of snow possible. Eastern plains, including I-70 to Kansas and I-76 to Nebraska may see 18" plus. Snow is expected to be heavy and winds may create blizzard conditions. I-70 up to the Continental Divide and Foothills west of Denver/Boulder may see over 36 inches of snow. Travelers, including ski traffic, should plan to get to their destination Friday, and be prepared to stay through Monday. Road closures are highly likely. Commercial transport will need chains, passenger cars will need adequate tires.

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 08:00 AM

I'd try to rebook my flight for either later tonight or early tomorrow and get to my destination early. I live in the Denver area and most talk is that everything is going to be closed Saturday and Sunday.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 12:16 PM
J62

There is no way you're driving from Denver to Breck on Sunday. Snow tires are irrlevant in this situation. You'd need a sno-cat.
Time to work on plan B. The resorts may allow you to change dates, or time to cash in that trip insurance....
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 04:25 PM

This storm is no joke. According to the Denver evening new (Thursday), snow will start on Friday night and continue thru Sunday. We are expecting feet of it in the Denver area. You should expect flight cancellations on Saturday and Sunday-possibly into the week depending on conditions.
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice,we were able to change flights (including the return portion) at no cost. It amazes me that speaking to two different agents nets two different results
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 02:51 AM

Glad it worked out and excuse my erroneous info--so much for weather.com!! Our kids in Denver are battened down. In NC when we get a warning of an inch of snow the supermarkets sell out of milk and bread immediately!! DDIL says the markets are bare out there this time!!
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 04:28 AM

Banff -

I'm glad it worked out. We're hunkered down here too - I made a run to the grocery for milk yesterday as that's the one thing I tend to run out of - lots of people were there getting their weekly shop in before the snow hits the fan.
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 04:39 AM

And people can't even enjoy the ever so RARE "snow day" in Denver since everyone is working from home anyway!! LOL
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Snow is always appreciated here Gretchen
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 06:36 AM

Oh I would give anything to be there. I LOVE snow!! We went to our DGD's graduation 3 years abo==May it is. It SNOWED the night before--many inches!! Just for us. It was pretty much gone by morning--they wiped the chairs and bleachers down. But it was memorable!
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen
Glad it worked out and excuse my erroneous info--so much for weather.com!! Our kids in Denver are battened down.
And despite numerous forecasts for feet of snow, it could still end up being just a 'normal' storm. Never bet on the weather. It's just better to be safe than sorry.

Banff, I'm glad you could change your flights. Some resorts have already announced that they will extend their season to 4/18, so you've got time to sort out a new trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -