Search

No travel bans, in fact 1-year residency permits in Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2021, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No travel bans, in fact 1-year residency permits in Croatia

They want to attract "digital nomads?"

Now Croatia is making it easier for people who want to stay longer -- tweaking its immigration laws to grant one-year residency permits to remote digital workers from outside the European Union, provided they don't require tourist visas to enter.

While other destinations such as Dubai have paid a price for keeping their borders wide open, Croatia is convinced encouraging long-term tourism is a winner.
The new rules began on January 1, and the first applicants have already arrived.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ads/index.html

Back last spring, they reported low numbers of infections. So they opened up to everyone in the summer. Then I believe their rates shot up. Also some suspicions that the Balkan countries were severely undercounting -- for instance Serbians were spreading it to other countries such as Switzerland.

Looks like they're doubling down. They can't be that more hard up for foreign money than other EU countries can they?
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by scrb11
They want to attract "digital nomads?"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ads/index.html

Back last spring, they reported low numbers of infections. So they opened up to everyone in the summer. Then I believe their rates shot up. Also some suspicions that the Balkan countries were severely undercounting -- for instance Serbians were spreading it to other countries such as Switzerland.

Looks like they're doubling down. They can't be that more hard up for foreign money than other EU countries can they?
Sure they can...it is a small country that emerged after the break up
of former Yugoslavia. Not exactly Netherlands .
Other than tourism they don’t have many resources to create the economic growth.

Last edited by danon; Feb 12th, 2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 12:04 PM

According to my friend in Dubrovnik they opened up in the summer for the tourism money. She said otherwise people would have been starving this winter-their government cannot afford to look after everyone.
I am not surprised they are doing this - they are hard up for money full stop.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 11:33 PM

Technically tourism is not allowed right now, but with a “business purpose” people are arriving from the US and elsewhere. They still require a PCR test to get into the country. Even returning residents must have a test. I do not think digital nomads are going to cause some increase in infections. They will contribute to the economy, by renting apartments and ordering take out from restaurants until they reopen (they are closed now.). When things start to open they will contribute further to the economy. It is not a bad thing.

Last edited by rialtogrl; Feb 12th, 2021 at 11:56 PM.