Italy in September 2021 (hopefully)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2021, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to book a 3 week (at least) trip to Italy for September if all gets better with the virus, fingers crossed. We've been to Capri, Positano, Florence, Tuscany, and Rome. We loved Tuscany so much, Positano and Capri as well! Though of course Rome and Florence were amazing, we like the smaller, more quaint, laid back feel type of travel. This is a 25th wedding anniversary trip so we want to make it romantic and have an extra budget for some special luxury. We don't want to rent a car, we prefer hiring drivers and trains and ferrys are great for us, so we can really enjoy and not have to worry about much. I have a horrible fear of heights, so the drive to positano was a big fear for me, we had a driver from train station in Naples so felt much better knowing someone who knew the area and roads was driving, helped make it much more enjoyable for me so worth every penny. We also hired a driver in Tuscany for two days which was great with all the vineyards we visited My thoughts are to go back to Tuscany and re visit a few of the places we loved, for a couple of days at least, maybe explore a bit more there, add cinque terre, lake como and any other interesting cities, towns, villages someone can suggest? Not sure what to add in? and not sure where to fly in and out of. Again we've only been to Rome, Florence, Tuscany region, Positano and Capri. Please help! Thanks in advance
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Forum Moderator

We have moved the thread to the Europe Forum and tagged it for Italy
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 07:53 AM

Maybe Puglia would be of interest. You could stay in a nice Masseria and then again hire drivers to explore the area. We especially loved Matera and would be definitely a side trip. Also some beautiful old hotels carved into the rocks to stay. Also stayed in Ostuni for a few nights and loved it small town feel. We also love Liguria and have stayed in Camogli a few times. Less touristy than cinque terre. Cenobio die Dogi is a beautiful seaside hotel. You can also take ferries and explore along coastline. Having said all that, kind of doubting that September will be all clear to travel, but good luck. I think it’s going to take the rest of 2021 to get rid of this virus worldwide or at least Europe and America’s.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 08:28 AM

Hope you get to go, PennyIG! DH and I thoroughly enjoyed Perugia area:

Perugia and Rome by train and bus

We used trains but had a driver for Montepulciano and Montelcino.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have doubts about travel in September, but I hope I'm wrong!

Have you thought of Venice? Could do Venice + the Veneto.

A somewhat random trip I took a few years ago when I wanted to combine cities I know and love with areas I hadn't previously visited, no driving: I flew into Venice for a week, then took the train to Bolzano where I had arranged a cab to pick me up and drive me to Ortisei, where I stayed five nights. I love hiking and the outdoors, so for me that was great. Then I spent the night in Bolzano, took the train to Arezzo for several days as I hadn't seen that part of Tuscany before, then took the train to Rome where I spent another four/five days before flying home.

Also sans car, a couple/three years ago, I combined Milan with Turin and Camogli, staying in the Cenobio dei Dogi. Though I had been to Milan before, Turin and that part of Liguria were new to me. I've been to the Cinque Terre and think I preferred Camogli/Portofino/Santa Margherita/Rapallo. Turin is a big city but very beautiful/elegant with some world-class museums. It also feels kinda laidback.

Haven't been to the Lakes but they're on my list!
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 11:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you plan to visit the Cinque Terre add nearby Santa Margherita Ligure. Then drive NW to the Piedmonte region, many fewer tourists there and so beautiful. The wine villages are within easy day trip drives from Alba where we stayed.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have another post in moderation, but agree that Camogli/SML/Portofino are wonderful. I also stayed in the Cenobio dei Dogi, mentioned above.

I doubt we will be traveling in September, but here's to hoping!
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 11:34 AM

Venice?

Loved Venice! But maybe different now cause of the virus.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 04:14 PM

Ditto Venice with a day trip to Murano for a special jewelry purchase to commemorate the anniversary? 💍 🥂

Have you considered Lucca? Interesting historical core to explore. Loved the churches on the squares and the walkable city wall. Check out my trip report under my name from spring of 2019.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We spent our 25th anniversary at Lake Como. We started the trip in Switzerland and ended in Venice.
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the info and suggestions! Have some researching to do
I for sure will book with cancellation guaranteed, I know September may be too early but here’s to hoping 🙏🏼
Thinking maybe May 2022 if I do postpone.
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 07:38 AM

What about Sicily?

https://flic.kr/p/8hRARS
https://flic.kr/p/8hRftw
https://www.flickr.com/gp/mksfca/3t33G2
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 08:53 AM

Nice pics!

Interesting pics!
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 10:06 AM

We did a ten day itinerary you may be interested in: Rome to Positano by way of Naples, a day trip to Ravello from Positano, boat ride from Positano to Sorrento with a stop off at Conca del Songo for lunch. Our last stop in Sorrento included day trips to Capri and Pompeii before returning back to Rome by train. I've included a write up in my travel blog post at https://travelfam.wordpress.com/category/italy-2017/
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:57 PM

How about a brief Tuscany revisit (or see parts you missed before; fly into Florence, Pisa, or even Genoa), then along the coast of Liguria (which is wonderful for train travel), up through Piedmont, ending in Lakes/fly out of Milan.
Piedmont is better with a car, but you can get there and then hire drivers (especially if you like wine tasting).
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 06:42 PM

Tuscany + Umbria is also a good combo. It's possible to see a lot of Umbria without a car.

I'd be curious to know what parts of Tuscany you've visited. The areas we enjoyed most would be very difficult to explore without a car.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 03:49 AM

Pompeii

Was wondering if Pompeii has a lot of ruins there? Also, where is Pompeii located?

Lynn
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 07:00 AM

Pompeii is near Naples. It is an excavated city that was home to 12,000 people, so yes lots of ruins. Most of the treasures found are now housed in the Archeology Museum in Naples, but many frescoes and mosaics remain where they were discovered. On our first visit to the site, we spent about 8 hours there and didn't see everything. Also spent hours at the Archeology Museum... Some people find nearby Herculaneum just as interesting and easier to visit because it's smaller than Pompeii. I prefer Pompeii.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 08:17 AM

More stuff recently unearthed in Pompeii! IMO it's a must see.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 10:28 AM

<<Some people find nearby Herculaneum just as interesting and easier to visit because it's smaller than Pompeii. I prefer Pompeii.>>

We LOVED Herculaneum! It's much smaller, much more accessible, and in much better shape than Pompeii. It's so much less crowded, too. While we did enjoy Pompeii, it is a very, very extensive site, very crowded (we were there mid-October), and while amazing to see, harder to visualize the life there. It IS amazing and covers so many aspects of life, but for all that, Herculaneum was the one that really struck us. Of course, I say, see BOTH! Then you get a good taste of early life. And if you have time, visit Oplontis, in the town of Torre Annunziata, a beautifully-preserved villa thought to be the residence of Nero's second wife. We visited Herculaneum and Oplontis on the same day and Pompeii on another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -