Canadian wanting to move to Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi a friend of mine living in Quebec has been dating a man from Belgium for over two years and she wants to move there as soon as covid restrictions are over. She wishes to go there with a work visa and not get married if possible, she speaks french and english and has a degree in office admin. What she would like to know is if it's at all possible to move there easily or will the process drag on forever? Also she has a criminal record for a DUI and no one not even the Belgian embassy will say if she will be allowed into the country because of this. I've tried to find all this info online but can't get a straight answer, thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 01:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
My daughter moved to Belgium from Quebec about two years ago. She had to submit to a Canadian Security Intelligence Service background check to the Belgian Embassy before they issued her a visa.
If I remember the cost was about $200.

Best thing for your friend would be to contact the Belgian Consulate in Montreal,

It is unlikely she will get a work visa, my daughter got a student visa, which the Belgian gov't has extended numerous times because of the plague.
A student visa allows her to work a maximum of 20 hours per week, she must have proof of health insurance and a minimum of 18,000 Euros on deposit at a Belgian bank.