Request Suggestions please - A Week from Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2021, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request Suggestions please - A Week from Prague

Dear Friends,

Greetings from India...!!!

We hope this pandemic will end soon and with the vaccines coming in...We hope and pray that things will be normal and we all will be able to travel again.

With this hope, i request suggestions from you please.

My and My wife with our Baby daughter are planning to visit Prague in November 2021 as we have a 1 day program to attend (Our daughter will be 1 year old in November). We have been to Prague twice earlier and have seen Prague and around including Cesky Krumlov, Kutna Hora etc..
However, since we cannot miss our 1 day program in Prague, we plan to stay just for 2 days this time and then proceed further....and this is where i would request suggestions please...
p.s. We have seen Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Belgium, Latvia, Estonia etc...

We had randomly shortlisted couple of options,,
1. We were thinking from Prague to proceed to Hallstatt - 3 days and then to Ljubljana - 2 days and Venice - 3 days
2. Prague - Hallstatt - Couple of places in Bavarian Region
3. Any other Please....

We love to explore old quaint towns, eat local food etc.. November will also be the time when Christmas Markets open up and we love them too...

Thank you & Looking forward...
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 11:49 AM

Hi Nitishraj, what about some time in Dresden and Berlin? Very easy rail trip from Prague. If you had time, a side trip to Görlitz from Dresden might be possible too. In Dresden you can stay with your little one in Aparthotels an der Frauenkirche, right in the middle of the area near the rebuilt Frauenkirche. Very easy, you can request an apartment with a washing machine (so important to us when we travelled with a baby). All taxis in Germany have inbuilt booster seats or a booster seat in the boot so getting there is a piece of cake. Doubtless you will get a lot of very good advice here about Dresden, it's very popular on this forum.

Lavandula
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As an alternative to the first on your shortlist (which I think you should do!), and based on the second of your list (which is seeking a couple places in the Bavarian region), I'd recommend Garmisch-Partenkirchen -- a quaint, small town that is an all year round tourist destination. Whether you ski or not. You could do day trips from there, or continue on down to close-by Innsbruck or up to Munich.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 04:24 PM
J62

I agee with the suggestion of Dresden and Berlin. Prague to Dresden is an easy ~2hr train, and the same again on to Berlin. In a normal year both Dresden and Berlin have numerous Christmas markets. They're hard to miss in central Dresden, especially with the music playing those classic German Christmas songs "Feliz Navidad" and "Rudolph"

Halfway between Prague and Dresden, on the German / Czech border is the intereresting geographical area called Saxony Switzerland. It's a wondeful summer or early fall destination for hiking, but perhaps not so good in November.

Old Jan 28th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Dear Lavandula,

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the insights which will be helpful to our Baby.

We have traveled to Dresden and Berlin in the past ...Hence would not be keen...

Thanks again
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
I agee with the suggestion of Dresden and Berlin. Prague to Dresden is an easy ~2hr train, and the same again on to Berlin. In a normal year both Dresden and Berlin have numerous Christmas markets. They're hard to miss in central Dresden, especially with the music playing those classic German Christmas songs "Feliz Navidad" and "Rudolph"

Halfway between Prague and Dresden, on the German / Czech border is the intereresting geographical area called Saxony Switzerland. It's a wondeful summer or early fall destination for hiking, but perhaps not so good in November.
Dear J62,

thank you so much for the suggestions....However, we have visitied Dresden and Berlin in the past and would not be visiting again ....Thanks again
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
As an alternative to the first on your shortlist (which I think you should do!), and based on the second of your list (which is seeking a couple places in the Bavarian region), I'd recommend Garmisch-Partenkirchen -- a quaint, small town that is an all year round tourist destination. Whether you ski or not. You could do day trips from there, or continue on down to close-by Innsbruck or up to Munich.
Dear Surfergirl,

Thank you for the suggestions....Will look into this option....

Thanks again
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 06:49 AM

If you want to see more of Czech Republic, I can recommend Telc and Karlovy Vary. And I highly recommend visiting Ljubljana; it's a beautiful city! Would you be interested in visiting Zagreb, the capital of Croatia? We really enjoyed it. It's an easy 2.5 hour train ride from Ljubljana.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:20 PM

So you have about eight days, depending on what city you fly out of. My wife and I have traveled in this region but in September, not November. Weather in November is unreliable and, if you're driving a car, the mountains could present difficult conditions.

Based on that, I would recommend a route something like this: Prague - Nuremberg - Munich - Garmish or Fussen (Schwangau and Neuschwanstein) - Bozen (Dolomites and Utzi) - Venice - Ljubljana (Lake Bled) - Return to departure city.

This route keeps you out of the high alps, sadly, and follows good roads. You could distribute your time as you like along the way. As an alternative you could spend the entire eight days in Croatia but that's a different posting.
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
If you want to see more of Czech Republic, I can recommend Telc and Karlovy Vary. And I highly recommend visiting Ljubljana; it's a beautiful city! Would you be interested in visiting Zagreb, the capital of Croatia? We really enjoyed it. It's an easy 2.5 hour train ride from Ljubljana.
Dear Karenwoo, Thank you so much for the inputs...We have been to Zagreb...But will definately consider Ljubljana...Thanks again...!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichGuy
So you have about eight days, depending on what city you fly out of. My wife and I have traveled in this region but in September, not November. Weather in November is unreliable and, if you're driving a car, the mountains could present difficult conditions.

Based on that, I would recommend a route something like this: Prague - Nuremberg - Munich - Garmish or Fussen (Schwangau and Neuschwanstein) - Bozen (Dolomites and Utzi) - Venice - Ljubljana (Lake Bled) - Return to departure city.

This route keeps you out of the high alps, sadly, and follows good roads. You could distribute your time as you like along the way. As an alternative you could spend the entire eight days in Croatia but that's a different posting.
Dear Michguy, Thank you so much for the suggestions and this looks like a great route and in all probability, we will take this suggestion and execute the same. Seems to be very beautiful too, from what i googled based on your suggestion. Only thing is that we will not be driving, but will use the Train/ local transport.
Thank you once again...
Warm Regards...

T
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 04:26 AM

Using the train changes things a bit. It may take you longer to get from one place to another and you may have to bypass one or two of these destinations. I haven't used train service in this part of Europe but here are a couple of comments anyway. Maybe others can help with train ideas.

1. I like Fussen better than Garmish. Fussen has the castles and is less touristy, at least with foreign tourists. Train service to Fussen may be more difficult.

2. I thought Ljubljana had the feeling of a small Vienna. It's very comfortable and attractive. Well worth a day or two.

3. If you decide to drop one of these destinations I would drop Bozen. The activities there are outdoor mountain stuff (maybe not great for you in November or with the child) and Utzi / Otzi the iceman (specific interest).

But whatever your final itinerary you can't go wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -