Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help planning April-May trip in NC mountain region

Old Jan 11th, 2021, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I are planning a spring trip to the mountain region of NC that will include time in Asheville. Interests include fly fishing, dining, wine tasting, art, and history. We're not big hikers, but I do like to run on trails. I'm thinking that three stops might be good over the course of a 7 or 9 night trip. Maybe 4-5 nights in Asheville plus a couple of nights in two other destinations. We'll be flying in and out of Raleigh-Durham. I've not spent any time in this region and would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 01:49 PM

Is there a reason to fly to Raleigh rather than Charlotte or Knoxville? It's a good 4 hour drive to the mountains from there.
I thought I was going to recommend a wonderful fly fishing guide around Boone and Blowing Rock but they seem to have gone to Georgia. I'll post it at the bottom. You will want a guide in order to access good trout streams in the NC mountains although you could look in the South Toe River area around Morganton and at the Fish Hatchery area in the Pisgah National Forest. Around Blowing Rock you can fish in the tailwaters of the the Hoston River Dam.
In the Smokies you can fish on the Cherokee reservation without buying a trout license--you buy a permit for the tribal waters which are good fishing.
That amount of time in Asheville might be a tad too long. There are other pretty places to stay. Blowing Rock is one. Brevard is another.

Old Jan 11th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gretchen! We're flying into R-D because it's nonstop from Seattle on our favorite airline (Alaska). That's good advice about the amount of time spent in Asheville. I've been wondering about that. Do you think that Blowing Rock is a better place to stay than Boone? I've also been wondering about the Wilkensboro area, because of the wineries. Thank you again!!
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 02:05 AM

Since you are flying into Raleigh you might enjoy a stop at Winston Salem to tour Old Salem--a Moravian village dating from the 1700s. There is a fine little museum of Southern Decorative Arts. Lots of good restaurants in that town.
Blowing Rock is definitely better than Boone. It is a pleasant old resort village. Boone is a nice college town. There are probably BandBa's around.
I would not think of Wilkesboro as a winery center. The Yadkin River Valley along I77 and I40 just west of Winston Salem would be the area One thing it does have is a church with beautiful frescoes by Ben Long. It also has good cheeses.
Asheville has the Biltmore winery of course. And Biltmore House and a lot of good eating--for a few days.
But I think you might want to get a map of NC and stick some pins in it. Blowing Rock might fit--Winston Salem--Blowing Rock-drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville.
For fly fishing you might just come down on the Cherokee Indian reservation for ease of getting on the water. There's at least one fly shop in town if you aren't bringing your gear. You just buy a permit for the tribal waters and they give you a map--no state license or trout stamp required so it is less expensive also. It is easy to find places to get in and the waters are stocked--but trout are still wily. That's why the call it fishing and not catching.
​​​​​​​From cherokee you can access the Great Smoky mountain Park and choose some trails if yo want.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 02:31 AM

I had typed a big reply and it is lost so I'll cut to the chase
To answer about Blowing Rock--definitely BR. It is a cute little old mountain resort town. Boone is a college town with not that much charm.
I don't think Wilkesboro is a winery town--it does have a church with beautiful Ben Long frescoes and has good cheese in that area. The Yadkin River wineries are clustered along I40 and I77 east of Winston Salem.
OH and do not miss having some NC BBQ at some point. The "center" is in Lexington, just south of Winston Salem, but you'll find good BBQ in lots of places.
Think about a stop in Winston Salem to tour Old Salem--a Moravian village dating from the 1700s. Also a lovely little Museum of Sothern Decorative Arts. Good restaurants in town.
You could drive down the Parkway to Asheville
Asheville has the Biltmore winery and the House, of course.
I think you should come down on the Cherokee Indian Reservation for your fly fishing. You just buy a permit--no state license or trout stamp. There is at least on fly shop in town for gear if you don't bring it. They will give you a map of the waters--easy to find good places to get in and the waters are stocked. But the trout are still wily--that's why they call it fishing and not catching.
And Cherokee is on the edge of the Park and you can go in for hiking.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gretchen! This is just the kind of information I was hoping to receive.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 03:49 AM

One little town in NC if you like pottery is Seagrove, between Raleigh and Charlotte. It is a small town dating from the 1700s and a pottery center because of the clay that was native there. There are probably 70 potteries scattered around the area of all kinds of methods. Ben Long IV, a noted (and comparatively young ) potter has one there. It is a really fun way to spend a day. If you wanted to just passs through and get a sample there is a great shop in Jugtown, basically a crossroads near Seagrove.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 04:07 AM

There are quite a few wonderful art galleries, though I do not know how they are doing during COVID. For two of the finest and largest, do not miss New Morning Gallery in the Baltimore Village and Southern Highlands Crafts Guild. It has two locations. Try to go the the out outside of town. It is amazing.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful, thank you Gretchen and Sassafrass!

Seagrove sounds wonderful. I think I've read about that pottery before and would love to visit some of the galleries. You are really helping me plan our trip, and I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to postpone to fall, so we can be sure that shops and restaurants are open, musicians are playing.... And I'll have even more time to plan!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 09:08 AM

I commend you for that. Our governor and the health and human services doctor are really trying to get our covid under control. I do NOT know what people are thinking.
At some point in the history of Wedgwood and England the white jasper clay that adorns some Wedgwood was not to be found in England--and it was found in Seagrove!! A little factoid. And the use of "gallery" in much of Seagrove is a misnomer. You are really IN the potteries with stuff on boards on seahorses!! There are several famous families in the area that make are the old pottery. It is also the site of several makers of face jugs--a real folk art. I like Luck's pottery and Owen, of course. Cole is another but I'm not sure they have a site now. There is also a small museum.
They will also be well stocked in the fall looking toward Christmas. It's a destination.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gretchen! I was hoping that things would be under control by late spring, but that's sounding less and less likely. I will look forward to visiting the spots you recommend in the fall. And so interesting about the Wedgwood clay!
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 11:47 AM

I have a nest of a mud dauber--a wasp that makes it's nest from dirt/clay. One of the potters found it and fired it--it has a translucence of fine china. It is just beautiful.
Hope you come. NC is a special state with lots to do. You might look for a copy of a magazine called Our State. Has wonderful articles--but not like Sunset or Southern Living.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow, what a special piece and a smart potter to think to fire that nest. I very much hope that we will visit NC too. I've been wanting to for years, and I really think 2021 will be the one! Thank you for the magazine suggestion, too. I found it online and see several articles that I look forward to reading. Thank you again for all of your help and information, Gretchen!
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 02:06 AM

I don't know how familiar you are with dirt daubers but the piece I have looks much like the 4th over on top row. Not quite that big. Imagine it as sort of golden .
Enjoy NC when you come.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCA0&uact=5