Portugal train travel for seniors

Old Jan 8th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal train travel for seniors

I have a US passport and am over 65. Do I get a 50% discount simply by showing my passport at the time of purchase or am i required to have a Cartao Dourado?

The cp.pt website indicates anyone over 65 with official documents confirming age is eligible for 50% discount on train ticket prices. The site also has information on a "cartao dourado" offering the same discount but appears to me to be only for citizens of Portugal. Am I interpreting the site correctly?

Obrigado

Old Jan 8th, 2021, 05:21 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board and tagged for Portugal.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 11:32 AM

Hello Florida Couple!

Anyone in Portugal, no matters the age, can ask for a golden card, if the family income is less than the minimum salary. And then with the card the discount can be obtained.

You're in a different position. You're older than 65 so you have the senior discount. So you have to present an identity card (it can be passport, of course) at the ticket office, when you buy your ticket. Besides that you also have to show your passport to the person that is checking the ticket inside the train (otherwise anyone could ask a senir person to buy a ticket with discount and then use it).

Hope this clarifies, but if you need further information, don't hesitate to ask. We are entering a new confinement, so I have not much to do!

Helena

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Yes, you can buy a train ticket at the discount by showing your passport. However not all ticket windows may be able to provide that and it can be a bit confusing so allow extra time if buying on the day of travel.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb
Yes, you can buy a train ticket at the discount by showing your passport. However not all ticket windows may be able to provide that and it can be a bit confusing so allow extra time if buying on the day of travel.
trying to communicate with a mixture of English, Spanish and Italian in Portugal will confuse the heck out of the agents. But all will be done with a smile and an obrigada