Search

Moving to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Colorado

I will be moving to Colorado next year and would like to plan a trip to visit and check out the best places to live in early February 2021. I have visited Colorado before and driven through some of the smaller on resort cities along Intersate-70 along with Denver and Boulder, but I really didn't get to check out a lot of the attractions around the Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs area.

I am from Minnesota where it is relatively cheap in comparison to a lot of the surrounding Denver cities like Boulder, so I am hoping to tour areas that are more affordable.

I am a 35 year old single male, so I would like an area that still has a good dating pool population.

Basic needs I would like to have near me: Coffee Shops, Restaurants, Wine Tasting, Affordable Grocery Stores, A really great Gym.

Affordable Housing: < $1200/month.

Activities: Hiking in the Mountains, Bike Trails, Mountain Biking (Fat Tire Bike), Skiing/Snowboarding, Running/Walking Trails, Golf Course(s).

Things I am not concerned about: Crazy Night Life, Sporting Events, Big Concerts.

Things I may have to be flexible on: If I don't find a job that is 100% remote, is there anywhere close to Denver that would meet the above criteria?

Any recommendations for certain cities, certain hikes, certain golf courses, trails, etc. to check out would be greatly appreciated for my trip coming up next year!!

Thanks everyone for your expertise!

Old Dec 30th, 2020, 02:12 AM

Why not live in Denver? Our kids live in south Denver--Tech Center area. Our other former Denver child lived in Lakewood--far west area on the way to the mountains. They have both lived in downtown Denver--Wash Park Area and Coors Field area. Lots of young folk, lots to do.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 10:35 AM

You can help narrow down your choices by researching what the different cities/towns in Colorado have to offer at City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in Colorado. Be aware that housing costs have skyrocketed in the past few years, because it seems that most of the country has decided to move here.

Wine tasting, more specifically wineries and cellar doors, will be limited to places like Palisade, Fruita and the Grand Junction area on the Western Slope (which can be hotter than the hinges of hell in the summer time). And don't get your hopes up, Colorado wine isn't much to get excited about.

You'll find affordable grocery stores, coffee shops and restaurants just about everywhere. Gyms will be more prominent in larger towns/cities.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look south, as in Durango or Gunnison, but living in Durango comes with a pretty high price tag.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 11:44 AM

I visit CO almost every year to go skiing and have relatives there and I was gong to comment same as above re prices. My impression was that your budget is pretty low for a lot of cities in CO, such as Denver. I have also noticed that your requirement about affordable grocery stores isn't taht important. Grocery costs don't really vary that much across the US, I've notice, not enough for it to be any criterion for you, not in major chains. Although you'd think they' be cheaper in cheaper towns, they aren't that much, I notice when I visit relatives in a small much lower-cost-of-living town in Ohio, the prices in the grocery stores (and major chian stores) are about the same as where I live in a very expensive city. I don't know why, but they are, even though real estates and property taxes should be lower. What does vary more are restaurant costs.

Wine testing is a "basic" need? Seriously?
maybe rethink that as that is a very odd basic need and really limits you Unless you just mean drinking wine which you can literally do anywhere. And CO wine is nothing worth basing your life on, that's for sure. If you know much about wine, you know the geography is not best for vineyards, obviously. I'd save that need for vacations.

I like Durango a lot but have no idea of costs. I have a relative who lives in Gunnison and he likes it a lot and he does work remotely, so I know it is at least possible. So I agree I'd look into that as it will be a lot cheaper than places like Boulder or Denver or some resort area.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 01:38 PM

Less than $1200/month will be tough in the Denver area. First, I'd narrow the search by using Zillow, Apartments.com, etc to find areas/cities that you can actually afford and then use Google to "tour" the neighborhoods. Once you find places you can afford then you can determine if it fits your "basic" needs.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Forget wine. Consider beer.

https://www.colorado.com/articles/co...defining-craft
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank You For Your Expertise!

Originally Posted by Gretchen
Why not live in Denver? Our kids live in south Denver--Tech Center area. Our other former Denver child lived in Lakewood--far west area on the way to the mountains. They have both lived in downtown Denver--Wash Park Area and Coors Field area. Lots of young folk, lots to do.

This looks like a very promising area! I have heard this from you and 2 other people now. It seems a bit expensive if I wanted to buy a condo or house would I find a reasonable renting situation.

Do you think traffic would be awful driving from here into the mountains and ski resorts?

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by RoamsAround
You can help narrow down your choices by researching what the different cities/towns in Colorado have to offer at

I checked this out, full of great info, thank you!

Originally Posted by Melnq8
I live in Colorado. Be aware that housing costs have skyrocketed in the past few years, because it seems that most of the country has decided to move here.

Wine tasting, more specifically wineries and cellar doors, will be limited to places like Palisade, Fruita and the Grand Junction area on the Western Slope (which can be hotter than the hinges of hell in the summer time). And don't get your hopes up, Colorado wine isn't much to get excited about.

You'll find affordable grocery stores, coffee shops and restaurants just about everywhere. Gyms will be more prominent in larger towns/cities.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look south, as in Durango or Gunnison, but living in Durango comes with a pretty high price tag.

I know the high housing costs are the most challenging part of this decision. I make a great living but I am so frugal (but not cheap) with my money because I want to invest as much as I can for future use and giving to people that need it. I jumped on the Mustachian (Mr Money Mustache) train a few years back and have stuck with it.

Those wine recommendations are perfect. I just like wine and like the atmosphere of wine places more than breweries. I LOVE beer which CO is known for but unfortunately I found out I am allergic and that’s why I was getting so hungover. Feel lucky you don’t have that problem!!

Sounds good about the coffee shops, grocery stores, gyms, etc.

I love the idea of trying a southern city but I’ll have to see if I can get creative with my work situation, aka working remote.

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by Christina
I visit CO almost every year to go skiing and have relatives there and I was gong to comment same as above re prices. My impression was that your budget is pretty low for a lot of cities in CO, such as Denver. I have also noticed that your requirement about affordable grocery stores isn't taht important. Grocery costs don't really vary that much across the US, I've notice, not enough for it to be any criterion for you, not in major chains. Although you'd think they' be cheaper in cheaper towns, they aren't that much, I notice when I visit relatives in a small much lower-cost-of-living town in Ohio, the prices in the grocery stores (and major chian stores) are about the same as where I live in a very expensive city. I don't know why, but they are, even though real estates and property taxes should be lower. What does vary more are restaurant costs.
Originally Posted by Christina

Wine testing is a "basic" need? Seriously?

maybe rethink that as that is a very odd basic need and really limits you Unless you just mean drinking wine which you can literally do anywhere. And CO wine is nothing worth basing your life on, that's for sure. If you know much about wine, you know the geography is not best for vineyards, obviously. I'd save that need for vacations.

I like Durango a lot but have no idea of costs. I have a relative who lives in Gunnison and he likes it a lot and he does work remotely, so I know it is at least possible. So I agree I'd look into that as it will be a lot cheaper than places like Boulder or Denver or some resort area.

Yes the housing costs are such a bummer, although nice for residents who bought their homes years ago. Paying $1500/month just seems so high to me, I currently pay $900 in MN. Okay, 10-4 on the groceries. In California they were a bit higher but yes I think you are right about the average costs country wide.

So the skin sounds great! I have heard you can get a season pass for a reasonable amount also which sounds promising.

Haha I didn’t mean to put the wine tasting as a basic necessity. I was just curious about alternatives to breweries since I am allergic to beer.

Southern CO looks so beautiful and untapped by the weed herd so that looks promising. I’ll look into costs.

Did you run into any hectic hell-raising traffic or was it okay?

Thank you!!

Originally Posted by wtm003
Less than $1200/month will be tough in the Denver area. First, I'd narrow the search by using Zillow, Apartments.com, etc to find areas/cities that you can actually afford and then use Google to "tour" the neighborhoods. Once you find places you can afford then you can determine if it fits your "basic" needs.

Yes, I’ll either have to get creative with housing or else just bite the bullet. I just feel weird loving eoth roommates at age 35.

[QUOTE=Jean;17196665]Forget wine. Consider beer.
/QUOTE]

I know I would love checking out breweries but I am allergic to beer. Something in it makes me hungover for days even after just 1 16oz beer.

Thank you!!
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 07:35 AM

Southern CO looks so beautiful and untapped by the weed herd so that looks promising. I’ll look into costs.

Not sure why you think that. This is CO after all.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 08:22 AM

Lakewood is on th western outskirts of Denver--you're "halfway" to the mountains. Traffic is traffic. Right now probably not as much. Of course rentals are possible.

You can taste wine in any restaurant.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 09:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure why you think that. This is CO after all.
Yes, not sure why you think that. Except for lines waiting to get into pot shops I'm not sure if you can notice any difference between now and before it was legal. There's plenty of ice cream on the shelves and maybe people are driving slower.

From what you are saying any college town in the mountains could work, but you gotta like winter and snow. Or as noted above the western side of the I-25 corridor. Maybe Golden? Too bad you are allergic to beer, there are some good brews around these days. Good luck.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 09:33 AM

We used to live in Lakewood, about 7 years ago, and loved it, but it is a probably a bit more expensive than you would want. There is Golden, Littleton, Evergreen and a few others that we considered when on the house hunt there. There is Boulder which might be more geared to younger people, as the university is there.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 02:49 AM

No matter WHERE the OP goes--Colorado or Timbuktu--PLEASE rent before buying in an unknown area of the country.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

No matter WHERE the OP goes--Colorado or Timbuktu--PLEASE rent before buying in an unknown area of the country.
Yeah this is spot on. Thank you!
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 06:49 AM

It's a difficult time to be relocating because you really SHOULD NOT travel to CO to tour around and look at rental possibilities. When do you project you will do this--this fall/winter?
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

It's a difficult time to be relocating because you really SHOULD NOT travel to CO to tour around and look at rental possibilities. When do you project you will do this--this fall/winter?
I was thinking end of this month or early February. Why do you say I shouldn’t, snow/cold? I am coming from MN so it will all be warmer to me. Or do you mean COVID?

Last edited by mikekline4725; Jan 1st, 2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pretty sure we're talking the Covid pandemic.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Pretty sure we're talking the Covid pandemic.
Yeah I get that perspective but my two friends moved out there in November and are loving it so far. They have toured all the major spots to live and done tons of hiking. So that was my logic. I don’t need to go inside many stores, just need to see the areas.

The lockdown is much better there because there are actually things you can go do to add adventure to your day. In MN, there is not enough.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 11:01 AM

Fine. Colorado is in a surge. Seeing places to live could be difficult--I don't know. Ski areas aver limiting numbers, but work is from home for sure. OR wherever you can set it up if you work remotely. I assume you have a current job where this is possible and you are bringing it with you?
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 12:06 PM

Not the best time to visit.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/data

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -