Kauai 14-Day Quarantine is Back!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2020, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Effective Dec. 2nd, Trans-Pacific and Interisland residents and tourists arriving on the Garden Isle will no longer be permitted to bypass quarantine with evidence of a negative COVID-19 test. This was instituted because of the spike in cases after October 15th, when they began allowing those with approved negative tests to bypass quarantine. People arriving with negative tests were subsquently testing positive a few days later—thinking they were negative, and spreading the virus.

I am assuming the reason this new mandate only applies to Kauai is because we have such limited medical resources—only (9) ICU beds; (11) ventilators.

Of course, this deals a devastating blow to the economy, and residents are vehemently on both sides of the issue.

On a much happier note, the whales and albatrosses have returned, and we have been having glorious rainbows. Apparently, they were not subject to the quarantine! ;-)

Old Nov 29th, 2020, 02:54 AM

Fake Covid tests are/were being sold

This from WaPo mid November

s test-result protocols for travel are becoming more high-tech, however, it’s unlikely that many travelers would be able to travel with a manipulated document. The state of Hawaii, for example, requires visitors to preregister in their online testing program, use an approved testing partner, and upload results to a digital portal. Paper copies are not accepted.
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
songdoc..sorry for the bad news, but THANK YOU for the beautiful pictures.
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

There are now four "Bubble" resorts on Kauai, where people can quarantine while having access to all the resort's amenities (i.e., the pools and restaurants--if applicable). The Cliffs in Princeville is one of those resorts. The prices vary at the different resorts, but someone I know will be staying at the Cliffs for two weeks at $1,000/week. They will be monitored and are not permitted to leave the perimeter of the resort for any reason. Failure to comply can bring a $5,000 fine and/or up to one year in jail.
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I keep seeing posts on Instagram of vacations in Hawaii right now. People need to stay home.

Thank you for the photos. They remind me of “Rainbow Connection” by the Brothers Cazimero. Love their music.
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

MichelleY: Mahalo for the recommendation. The Brothers Cazimero's Hawaiian language version of that song is so beautiful.

schemer: thanks for the kind comment about the photos.
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 12:49 AM

Oooo, the rainbow, Songdoc! Thank you!!

Is one of the "bubbles" at the Hyatt in Poipu? I could tolerate a two-week quarantine there, but guessing about $3,000 /week. Ouch. When you say "monitored"--do you know how? Are ankle bracelets attached, like the ones for criminals on probation? (I'm serious.) Or (not serious) leg shackles?
I 'd been dreaming of your island and, before learning of this latest order, went so far as to enquire about a place for Spring, thinking "Fingers crossed....maybe..." The woman who called back today sounded a combination of disheartened/numb/bemused She said she 's tired of the changes, and unpredictability. I assume the strongly differing pov s you mention are economically-based. I feel for the many people who rely there on the tourist industry to survive financially.

Ah well... hope for better days, and maybe you'll get to E Africa next year!!!
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Calinurse: The “resort bubbles” are at: Cliffs at Princeville, Hilton Garden Inn, Kauai Wailua Bay, Koa Kea Hotel, Kukuiula, and Timbers Kauai.

I don't know the details of the monitoring. But I do know that the National Guard and police randomly check to be sure people are where they are supposed to be. I have seen people wearing wristbands at The Cliffs, but I doubt they are electronic. The problem is that these resorts also have people who are NOT part of the quarantine bubble. So they are potentially being exposed to the virus. That seems crazy to me.

Yes, those who are furious about this are business owners and workers in the tourist industry, who are facing bankruptcy. It's horribly sad. I don't understand why the governor will not permit those arriving with an approved negative test to quarantine for a much shorter time (i.e., 3 or 5 days) then be released if they get a second negative test.

Thanks for the good wishes about the September 2021 safari.
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 10:56 PM

Songdoc, thanks for your reply. Your idea makes sense. Kauai Mayor Kawakami's (not Hawaii governor) decision to depart from the newest state guidelines for arrivals (no quarantine if a negative pre-flight test) I suppose can be understood as " abundance of caution" especially with limited number hospital beds. (My sister lives on St John USVI. NO hospital! So I "get" the anxiety).

This week, CDC will issue new post-exposure guidelines. Perhaps Kauai Mayor will follow those. Per news story: " New guidelines will recommend close contacts of those infected with the coronavirus should quarantine for 7 to 10 days after exposure, down from the 14 days currently recommended, the official said. Individuals can end their quarantine after 7 days if they receive a negative test, or 10 days without getting tested."

LA Times mentions electronic bracelet: https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...bubble-resorts

Maybe I'm missing something--please correct me if so--- but those in a Kauai "quarantine resort" are not there because they tested positive for the virus; rather, it'a required despite a negative test. So is it any riskier for other guests, than at any hotel? Presumably, should a guest test covid-positive at some point, they will be prohibited from using any pubic facilities (pool, restaurant, etc). You can be exposed to the virus at the supermarket, a store, a restaurant, etc...so I'm not following why the "bubble hotel" would be riskier for others, tha a stay at any hotel, or any travel, elsewhere on the island. We are always, anywhere, potentially being exposed to pathogens, including this virus. All we can do is take the right, wise precautions, no matter where. Again, if I'm not understanding the situation with these hotels, please let me know.

Kenya is open to international visitors. You probably rec'd an email about that from Porini. I'd love to return... but not quite yet. Sigh...
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 06:48 AM

I feel badly for everyone in the tourism industry; the hits are hard, and deep. Islands in particular need to shut down whether they are large like Australia or small like Kauai. Kauai is our favorite island destination, we were very sad to have to cancel/postpone our 45th anniversary family trip planned for 7/20. It is tentatively now planned for 6/21. The agency we rented the house from rolled over our deposit; we got most of our money back from Hawaiian Airlines. Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

CaliNurse: Yes, I heard on the news this morning that those quarantining in the bubble resorts must wear an electronic monitor bracelet. Sadly, I also heard the the Grand Hyatt Poipu is closing until further notice.

[/color]

Those arriving effective today are not required to be pre-tested. Everyone arriving must quarantine. Pre-travel tests are no longer required.

<So is it any riskier for other guests, than at any hotel?>

Yes, because the residents and other guests at the bubble resorts are almost exclusively surrounded by people who have newly arrived from the mainland, where numbers are surging, and these new arrivals have not been tested. People we encounter at Costco, Walmart, supermarkets, and other hotels, etc. either arrived with a negative test (when that still permitted) or have been on island long enough to no longer be a threat. That said, it might be a moot point because I can’t imagine that many people will travel here, quarantine for two weeks, and then transfer to a different hotel—so like the Grand Hyatt, most hotels (that are not part of the bubble program) will like close until the regulations change again.

<Presumably, should a guest test covid-positive at some point, they will be prohibited from using any pubic facilities (pool, restaurant, etc).>

I haven’t heard that addressed, but it must be the case.

SoCal: Yes, this is devastating for the tourism industry. But for the reasons you stated, I think it is necessary. Sorry about your having to postpone your trip.

On a brighter note, here are some pix from yesterday’s walk down Hanalei Plantation Rd. in Princeville. I continued down to the beach at the Princeville Resort. The resort is going through a massive renovation and has been closed all year. This planned pre-COVID. Starwood had good timing!

Today, the waves are enormous and very dramatic. Lots of people are outside watching in awe!

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 01:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for those beautiful photographs!!! I need that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 08:02 PM

Mahalo Songdoc or the magnificent photos! Ahhhh...Kauai!! Especially stunning under blue skies!

Guessing you approached the Princeville Resort Beach via Hanalei Bay Resort? Were there many people about?

Thanks for explaining about the quarantine. Until you wrote that, I indeed misunderstood, not realizing on Kauai, the negative test results is not now required (while the 14 day quarantine is). I think it went officially into effect today? I mistakenly thought the Mayor wanted proof of negative result AND two week quarantine. Hopefully he will begin to follow current CDC updated guidance of ten days quarantine max, even for those with known exposure, let alone "maybe."

Sigh....

Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

<Guessing you approached the Princeville Resort Beach via Hanalei Bay Resort? Were there many people about?>

No. At the end of Hanalei Plantation Rd. there is a gorgeous lookout where I took the bottom photo. From there you can pick up an easy trail down to the beach beside the (former) Princeville Resort. It's a magical walk that passes the ruins that were Club Med before hurricane Iniki destroyed it.

And speaking of Iniki ... more sad news. Tiki Iniki (the tiki bar and restaurant in the P'ville shopping center) is closing, and there is a good chance it will not reopen. FYI, it is owned by superstar singer/songwriter/producer Todd Rundgren and his delightful wife, Michelle. I fear there will be many more closures.

Suze: thanks for the nice comment about the pix.

Not to make everyone jealous, but it is absolutely gorgeous out and I'm heading to Hanalei Bay!
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 09:26 PM

Thanks a LOT, Songdoc--- You ARE making us jealous, in the nicest possible way.

I will check out that path next time on Kauai!!!! I didnt realize you can walk that way, didnt know there is an actual trail! I wondered where that magnificent photo was taken!!!

Yrs ago i researched filming locations for "South Pacific" and among others, read about the site of Emil's house. Here's a story about the man who owned that property:

https://www.thegardenisland.com/2014...rkmyre-estate/

Good thing those condos (mentioned in this story) weren't built!
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 05:07 AM

Thanks songdoc, seeing the beautiful places gives me hope for the future.
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 04:19 AM

It's really sad on the impact this would cause. Thank you for sharing as I have almost forgotten what these scenery looks like since the inception of the pandemic. The rainbow is hope, betters days are coming.
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad the pix brought some smiles and hope. Hang in there. This WILL pass.
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

gennadypodolsky: I agree.

FYI, my father's best friend in Philadelphia was a Podolsky.
Old Dec 12th, 2020, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Update: Kauai's 14-day quarantine will now be 10 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -