They all want us back

Search

They all want us back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They all want us back

Are you getting emails from AutoEurope, Icelandair, Air France, Viamichelin, tourist offices in France, and so on, encouraging you to visit France?

We've been getting these and it makes us feel so cherished! We thought we were just run-of-the-mill tourists but it turns out they really miss us. The fact that they remember our names and email address proves it! We're special.

Of course I'm kidding. I kind of enjoy getting these emails just because they encourage me to think that some day we'll return to France. However, the airlines and car rental places won't be seeing our smiling faces for quite a while. When we can return, it'll have to be a longer trip than usual because I keep adding new places to the list and we definitely want to return to all the old places we love too.

Wishing all of you and all the world a safe passage through the pandemic.

Old Nov 11th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Mods: please move to France forum. I should have specified that.
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have Accor coming after me, as well as its various brands -- Adagio, Mercure, Ibis... Which reminds me, I still have an Ibis Styles refund to demand from Belgium. All of the other places have refunded me for my disastrous plans in March.
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 10:16 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've received e-mails from Lufthansa taunting me with a winter European holiday and several from hotels in Austria.

If only...
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 01:43 PM

The only ones we get are from Gites de France, and they have always emailed us regularly. Sadly, we will not be booking a gite any time soon. Even if a vaccine becomes available next year, we will probably not consider travelling before 2022. We will let things settle a bit I think. Hope we are not too old by then!!! Coquelicot, we also have an increased list that will require a couple of trips.

Hope you are all doing well at home despite the situation around the world. We are coming into summer here and lots will head to the beach. So far we are doing well compared to other countries, so hopefully people will not become too complacent.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 02:34 AM

I have been getting emails from restaurants in France, telling me about their takeout options. Somehow I think I am out of delivery range. 🤣
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

The travel insurance company we used last year just emailed and wants us to sign up for another year. Hmm, let me think that over. Since just about our only travel these days is to the grocery store, I think I'll pass, but we are so touched that they remembered the anniversary of our last payment.

If they really loved us, they'd extend our policy for free. Oh well, maybe they just don't want to show favoritism.

Rhon, I agree that 2021 is not looking that good for travel to France, but let me tell you, whenever France is ready for visitors, you two will not be too old to take your usual trip. I'll even claim the same for us, and we're older than you two.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 04:49 AM

Yes, we are getting those emails too. Especially for Iceland, which was to be a return trip this past August. We have rescheduled for next summer, but are not holding our breath. I did see that Iceland is even showing how you can move there and work. Which is interesting because my husband and I have talked about that for several years.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 07:58 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw things won’t start getting back to normal until late 2021 so skipping until 2022 seems to on par.

At first, I would look at the deals and information being sent to me but then stopped. As much as I would love to visit, I’m not allowed. My flat rental wouldn’t even let me rebook for 2021. She said, let’s wait longer. I thought that was nice as I guess I was being overly optimistic.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 08:49 AM

If an approved vaccine becomes available in the first half of 2021 - and the outlook is promising right now - I am hoping that France will welcome us vaccinated US folks in time for my group's September rental near Montpellier.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 01:20 PM

I am only half joking, Coquelicot. I am optimistic that we will be able to visit again. But it is contingent on P still feeling comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road. I hope the break of four years does not impact that. I know we could still visit and use trains, but you and I both know that is not us at all. It just would not be the same.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 05:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got 500 flight offer to Paris, 5 dollars day car rentals. Wally World car parking keeps wanting me to park my car cheap. Accor has some great deals. I have a 300 euro voucher to use in Paris already. Vacation in Paris popped up with a great apartment in the 2nd for only 1200 a month. I was drooling. Jet Blue has 29.00 flights. I want to travel so bad so read them all.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 02:24 AM

Coqueliot We too are receiving emails. I am in a bad way though. We drove to Sydney to see the Van Gough Live exhibition, and had to pass the International Airport. I yelled ‘ take me back’ and I said hello to all the planes parked on the tarmac.🤣
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 08:55 AM

no, I'm not getting emails like that from any entity that I deal with, and I've bought from some of those (like Autoeurope and Air France).

I don't like getting promotional emails from any company except I allow a few from my local CVS as they include coupons. So I have all my setting set to not allow marketing emails on virtually every website I have a relationship with. That actually works.

I suppose of you like marketing, and thus allow those, that's why you are getting them.

Actually, I do get occasional promotional emails from SNCF as I have an acct with them but I never read them so don't know what they say. But they have always done that, even preCOVID (well they have some special sale price on).
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

cheska, you are a hoot! Does your husband pretend he doesn't know you when you do this kind of stuff? Mine would.

Today's love note was from kemwel. I don't like to tell them we remain faithful to Autoeurope but on the other hand I don't like to encourage false hopes.

Old Nov 13th, 2020, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Coquelicot;17179109]cheska, you are a hoot! Does your husband pretend he doesn't know you when you do this kind of stuff? Mine would.

My husband did laugh. He maybe getting a bit sick of hearing ‘ when do you think we can get back ‘