Fun in the Douro Valley

Search

Fun in the Douro Valley

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun in the Douro Valley

My wife and I are planning a third visit to Portugal specifically to spend time in the Douro Valley and are looking for any tips that would help us enjoy the area. Any comments regarding good restaurants in wineries, what area to look for accommodation in and even specific bed and breakfast places, would be helpful. We will probably initially base ourselves in Porto again.

Basically we are looking for any good ideas because people oftentimes have experiences that we would not have usually considered.

Thank you.
Old Nov 10th, 2020, 04:02 PM

In the upper Douro there are guided tours to the pre-historic rock art:

https://flic.kr/p/7NqKFP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehis...%C3%B4a_Valley
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 04:15 AM

Below is the link to a thread with a lot of information on the Douro valley which I came across while researching the area for a probable trip next year. You may find some ideas for your planning.

Douro Valley - Quinta de la Rosa vs. Quinta do Pego
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys.

Roger
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 08:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
following
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 06:28 PM

Just curious when you are planning your trip? Are you concerned about COVID-19 and travel restrictions? Or last minute cancellations/changes? Not sure when I should start thinking of going to Europe again.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
Just curious when you are planning your trip? Are you concerned about COVID-19 and travel restrictions? Or last minute cancellations/changes? Not sure when I should start thinking of going to Europe again.
KarenWoo, I will probably have to go to Lisbon on work end March of next year, at which point I’d like to take a week off to visit Porto and the Duoro valley. Of course it’s all totally dependent on how the Covid situation is in Portugal at that time and the travel restrictions in place. I have EU residency, but I’ll be closely monitoring the situation. And of course now almost all bookings have free cancellation and changes, so am not worried about that aspect.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

My apology for the late response. We have firm bookings for September 2021, subject to free cancellation and the travel restrictions both in our country and the others we plan to visit which, in addition to the trip up the Douro from Porto, includes Belgium and north west Spain.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 08:58 PM

My trip is also obviously on hold for now, as Portugal has been battling an extremely serious second wave over the past couple of months. I do have to travel to Lisbon for work, maybe later this fall, it’s just wait and watch now...