Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii in December - to go or not to go

Search

Hawaii in December - to go or not to go

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2020, 05:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree. I don't think everything will be OK any time soon, if ever. I am hoping things will open up for sometime next year. And I do still think next month is way too soon as far as the question that started this thread.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A cautionary tale

We went to visit our son and his fiance in October as soon as travel was allowed from the mainland. We carefully followed all the instructions, yet ended up quarantined our entire time on Oahu in our son's small apartment. Our negative COVID-19 results from HI's "trusted travel partner" did not come back until 4-5 days into our visit. Once we posted our results, my husband was released from quarantine within hours, but I was not for no apparent reason, even though we did exactly the same thing at the same time. Thankfully, we had already decided to go home a few days early, rescheduling our flight with no penalty. All legs of our flight were safe and uneventful. Once leaving the screening area at the Honolulu airport, however, it is impossible to contact any HI official for help, and the islands do not provide any relief such as quick testing for visitors whose original testing site fails to provide prompt results. The only person who tried to help us was the manager at the resort where we were planning to stay if we had been able to leave our son's place. So, anyone who decides to try traveling to Hawaii, I wish you better luck. Just be prepared that you could end up quarantined for your entire vacation.

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 05:24 PM

I think we'd all better not go during this period. The number of Covid cases in the US is reaching a new peak and record, which makes it a bad decision to travel to Hawaii. Of course they have guidelines for tourists from outside the islands and things have been going well for now, but who knows when bad luck might strike, right?
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 01:44 PM

Actually, things are not going so great in Hawaii. We are having the highest numbers of new infections in 6 months. Only Kauai (which has more stringent restrictions) is seeing relatively low numbers. IMO, this is not the time to vacation.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
orangepetal and nathansmith, mahalo (thank you) for not going to Hawaii right now.

Sadly things are not going so well right now actually. I didn't take my usual fall trip in November 2020 and am holding off making any future plans for at least a few more months. I am sending what would have been some of my vacation dollars to a Hawaii food bank for now. They can use and appreciate your support.
www.HawaiiFoodbank.org