Back from 13 Nights in the Beautiful Country of Croatia

Search

Back from 13 Nights in the Beautiful Country of Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rialtogrl
July, August, and early September is the season. Also, even during the season, partiers are at the pool, at the beach, or sleeping during the day This year was of course completely different. One time I saw two girls pouring vodka into water bottles in the old town, another time four British guys carried one 2 liter bottle of beer each to a beach and drank them straight from the bottle. Eight liters of beer! In a normal August you would see way more than two examples of this kind of behavior. The rest of the year it is what you experienced!

In MinnBeefs Hvar old town photo, the one looking down the steps, he is at the spot of Hvar’s only city winery. I love that place but they have weird hours so probably were not open when the photo was taken. You can get a glass of wine there for 10 kuna, about $1.40, and sit outside and watch locals greet each other. Cool spot and no partiers even in August..
Bummer. You are correct, rialtogrl. If they were open, I would have stopped as I rarely pass up a chance for wine. That was on a Monday afternoon and all the back streets of Hvar, while photogenic, were quite dead.
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef
Bummer. You are correct, rialtogrl. If they were open, I would have stopped as I rarely pass up a chance for wine. That was on a Monday afternoon and all the back streets of Hvar, while photogenic, were quite dead.
A lot of great wine on the island.. if you ever go back. Yes Hvar was quiet In the afternoons with half the places not open at all and the other half closed for a long lunch!
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
This is from a guy who is there now. He flew from Texas. On departing US Airport, had to argue a bit with gate agent who initially said we couldn't fly to Croatia but after pointing out to them on the website (US and Croatia) that we can and what the rules are, and they fiddled with their computer for about 10 minutes, and then realized it was ok to go (a bit stressful with their initial rejection of allowing us to board, despite us already having boarding passes, so just took some hand holding with them). But other than this slight hassle on US side, going through Frankfurt was super easy, no questions or hassle about where we were going, no asking for Covid results, just basically like any other prior European trip (and everyone wearing masks on flight and airport), and in Dubrovnik the passport agent asked for our Covid test, and actually kept the hard copy letters (so I was glad I had those hard copies, as they seemed to care more about that than the actual Covid report itself), but in about 30 seconds they cleared us through
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Macross
This is from a guy who is there now. He flew from Texas. On departing US Airport, had to argue a bit with gate agent who initially said we couldn't fly to Croatia but after pointing out to them on the website (US and Croatia) that we can and what the rules are, and they fiddled with their computer for about 10 minutes, and then realized it was ok to go (a bit stressful with their initial rejection of allowing us to board, despite us already having boarding passes, so just took some hand holding with them). But other than this slight hassle on US side, going through Frankfurt was super easy, no questions or hassle about where we were going, no asking for Covid results, just basically like any other prior European trip (and everyone wearing masks on flight and airport), and in Dubrovnik the passport agent asked for our Covid test, and actually kept the hard copy letters (so I was glad I had those hard copies, as they seemed to care more about that than the actual Covid report itself), but in about 30 seconds they cleared us through
very glad to hear that. I was not able to print my results out as I received them at the Munich airport an hour before my flight to Dubrovnik. The customs agent there put up a bit of a stink but ultimately stamped my passport and I was on my way.

looking forward to reading your own trip report when you are back.
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Hi MinnBeef,

It took four flights, thirty-fours of traveling but it was worth it because we are in stunningly beautiful Dubrovnik!.

Old Oct 10th, 2020, 04:53 AM

Wow! Mouth-watering grilled fish.
Do you care to share what the flight was like going over?
Thanks.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 05:13 AM

cafegoddess, where did you fly from?

It took four flights, thirty-fours of traveling but it was worth it because we are in stunningly beautiful Dubrovnik!.

Four flights would have killed me.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Congratulations cafegoddess. I look forward to reading your own trip report.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 09:17 AM

I'm glad your trip was successful. Thanks for posting the trip report. I do have a couple questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

Things do go wrong sometimes. What would you have done if you hadn't received your covid test results in Munich. Would you have been able to fly to Dubrovnik anyway and hope the results were available when you got there. What would have happened if the results didn't come through (either fault of the testing facility, or some tech glitch, or what if the results had been positive)? It seems like you did a lot of planning so I assume you had some plan B for if this happened. I think you said somewhere they would have let you in but you'd have to quarantine. How would you have done that? Would hotels let you stay. How would you have gotten food. I'm just trying to think of all the possibles for when I can travel again. Thanks
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isabel
I'm glad your trip was successful. Thanks for posting the trip report. I do have a couple questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

Things do go wrong sometimes. What would you have done if you hadn't received your covid test results in Munich. Would you have been able to fly to Dubrovnik anyway and hope the results were available when you got there. What would have happened if the results didn't come through (either fault of the testing facility, or some tech glitch, or what if the results had been positive)? It seems like you did a lot of planning so I assume you had some plan B for if this happened. I think you said somewhere they would have let you in but you'd have to quarantine. How would you have done that? Would hotels let you stay. How would you have gotten food. I'm just trying to think of all the possibles for when I can travel again. Thanks
I had taken a rapid COVID test the day before which was negative’ so I was not worried about the PCR test the next day. That clinic sends their results back the next day by noon so the worst case scenario was waiting 90 minutes at Dubrovnik customs. Everything else you asked about was too minute of a possibility to worry about.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 03:47 AM

Isabel, is your first stop Germany or Amsterdam? Go to Croatia forum on TA, there are many questions being answered there. Some airports have testing clinics at airports. Things are changing daily in Amsterdam with a new wave.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 07:03 PM

Croatia

I had to cancel my Greece trip this summer and when I saw Croatia was opening up I almost booked a similar trips as yours. I'm pleased to know you had a great trip and I'm even more excited now to plan mine for next year. What was the temperature like in September? Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lduke47
I had to cancel my Greece trip this summer and when I saw Croatia was opening up I almost booked a similar trips as yours. I'm pleased to know you had a great trip and I'm even more excited now to plan mine for next year. What was the temperature like in September? Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed.
That’s a rather broad question. The weather was beautiful this September but that doesn’t mean it would necessarily be so next Sept. Just like any place else. Can you be more specific on the type of “tips” you are looking for?
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by lduke47
We were in Croatia in September 2019, and we had gorgeous weather everywhere we went. It was sunny and warm, temps in the 80's. It was very summery, with people swimming, especially in Dubrovnik, Split, and on Hvar Island. We had a couple of hours of rain one day in Dubrovnik. We had overcast skies at Plitvice Lakes National Park. It was warm and sunny in Ljubljana (Slovenia) and lake Bled, with people swimming in lake Bled.

If you wish, you can click on my name to read my trip report.