Florence: art and restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2020, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been to Florence three times and have taken in the Uffizi twice and the Bargello, as well as Basilica di Santa Croce. We also went across the bridge and saw some art many years ago when we were less interested in art, we thought the paintings were badly hung but as I say we were not very knowledgeable at the time. I can't recall the name of that place. We wanted to ask for any recommendations for seeing good art in the city as we are going there now for three nights.

Also, any recommendations of where to eat would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It was probably the Palatina Gallery at the Pitti Palace where you saw the poorly displayed art. I agree.

There are many smaller museums and other venues in Florence to see great art. By one count there are 72 "museums" in Florence. A few places I would put at the top of my list:

Galleria Accademia (the original David)
The Baptistery adjacent to the Duomo
Brancacci Chapel (timed reservation required)
Palazzo Medici Ricardi (Chapel of the Magi)
Palazzo Vecchio (I think reservations are possible)
Convent of San Marco
Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (museum of the Duomo)
Medici Chapel

The Museums of Florence

One of my favorites never makes any museum lists. Opifio delle Pietre Dure, not far from the Accademia,

https://www.visitflorence.com/floren...etre-dure.html

Because of Covid, days and hours of any/all museums may have changed, so you should search each venue independently to get the latest info.
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 07:52 AM

Last time I was in Florence I stayed near Ristorante Buca Mario and ended up eating there 3 or 4 times the food was so good and the family who run it so welcoming. It is near the Basilica Santa Maria Novella: Piazza Degli Ottaviani 16R.

Another favourite place is JT Caffe right across from the PItti Palace at Piazza Dei Pitti 32/33R. Have not had dinner here, only lunch and breakfast(coffee and pastry). My lunch there was delicious, they make their pasta in house and I had the pasta tasting sampler-so good. If the weather is nice it is lovely to sit outside and people watch.
It is owned by Jennifer Tattanelli who has a beautiful shop next door called Casini.

The food market Mercato Centrale has lots of options upstairs for lunch and of course it's fun to wander around all the stalls.

I tried Trattoria Sostanza last time as people rave about their butter chicken which was indeed delicious. It's kind of a busy hole in the wall, not sure how that is working with Covid as it was close quarters when I went but maybe they've worked something out.
Happy eating!
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 08:26 AM

As far as dining during Covid goes, I'd be gravitating to restaurants on piazzas, even if they aren't on anyone's "best" lists. Covid transmissions are on the up-swing in Italy.
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Jean, thank you for the excellent recommendations for places to visit. We went to both the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo and Baptistery yesterday and to the beautiful Chapel of the Magi this morning, all well worth seeing.

I saw the Palatina Gallery years ago. Despite the bad hanging, do you think it's worth revisiting? I wasn't really into art then as much as I am now.
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 07:22 AM

I would visit the Brancacci Chapel before re-visiting the Palatina Gallery.

If the weather's nice, you might walk from Piazzale Michelangelo to San Miniato al Monte and wander around the basilica complex. The interior of the church has some beautiful mosaics, pavement, and crypt. In the past, Gregorian chants were conducted during mass on Sundays and religious days. I don't know if that is happening during Covid.

If you're walkers, consider taking a taxi up to San Miniato and walking/exploring your way back to the Centro Storico. You could walk through the Giardino delle Rose just below Piazzale Michelangelo and then visit the charming Giardino Bardini. The Villa Bardini in the garden houses a small museum which has some good pieces in a bit of an "antique store" atmosphere (displays are not in chronological order and feel a little random). Adjacent to the Bardini Garden is both Forte di Belvedere which has a spectacular view of Florence and the Casa di Galileo. I don't know if you can visit the house, but we found it interesting to walk Galileo's neighborhood. (His daughter Maria Celeste was cloistered in a convent in the hills above San Miniato.)

Last edited by Jean; Sep 22nd, 2020 at 07:24 AM.