Search

Virginia Beach/Hampton/Norfolk Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Virginia Beach/Hampton/Norfolk Questions

Dear Fodorites,

With both children successfully launched into (young) adulthood we can now take advantage of "off season travel," if you will, and just booked a charming airbnb along Virginia's outer banks for a week in early October. The primary motivation for this holiday is to absorb the art museums, take sunrise walks along the beach, wander the trails and eat seafood. The Virginia Air & Space Center is on the list, too. Not certain that we're taking the bicycles, but if there is a worthwhile trail or two we can certainly add them.

On the topic of seafood, recommendations for excellent seafood dining across all budgets would be most appreciated. An oyster place recco would be excellent, as well. Last summer we spent four days in the Cape Charles area that we entirely enjoyed, so I don't think we need recommendations for that part of Virginia, however.

We have toured the Historic Triangle many, many times when our children were students, so there is no need to see that area again. However, suggestions for off-the-beaten-path sites in the surrounds would be most appreciated.

Thank you, in advance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure the VA Air & Space museum is closed for renovations right now. The Mariner's Museum (well worth a visit) is still covid closed. The Chrysler is open. There is an excellent Edvard Munch show there now.

The Atlantic on Pacific in VB and Casa Pearl in Williamsburg (oysters and tacos, what's not to love) are my 2 favorite places for oysters in the area. I don't know their status, I haven't been to either in the last 5 months.

If your visit takes you in the vicinity of Richmond, the Va Museum of Fine Arts is open. There is an Ancient Egypt/Sunken Cities exhibit I hope to see before the end of the year. If you haven't been the VMFA in a number of years, the McGlothlin wing and their American art collection is excellent.

The Virginia Capital Trail goes from Williamsburg to Richmond, some or all, is great for biking.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, obxgirl. We saw the note about Air & Space, bummer. Excited that the Chrysler is open. Oyster recs are duly noted. We're toying with an overnight in Richmond on one end or the other for the Fine Arts Museum. With the children doing their thing and both of us in WFH status we can do whatever we're in the mood to do.
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 08:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Peninsula Fine Arts Center next to the Mariner’s Museum has a great Wyeth exhibit until Nov. It’s a tiny museum but the exhibit is worth the drive. https://pfac-va.org

Surfrider is known for its fried oysters but I haven’t had them on the half there. There are a few locations, one in Hampton. For something different, I’ve heard good things about El Diablo Loco in Phoebus.

The Norfolk Botanical Garden allows biking 4-7. We did it with friends last week and had a great time. Bring your mask so you can go into the butterfly house. We ate afterwards at Stoneys Dockside which was recommended by fellow Fodorite, Judy. You can also bike at First Landing State Park.

Not art but fun, the aquarium in VA Beach is very nice.

A friend that’s also an excellent chef has just moved from the VA Beach Hilton to Becca at the Cavalier. Wherever he is, the food will be amazing.

On your way up to Richmond, you might consider Merroir. Fall is a great time to sit outside overlooking the river and eat oysters. It’s very relaxed and out in the boonies but we all make the drive cuz we know it’s worth it. Their sister restaurant, Rappahannock, in Richmond is temporarily closed but you should check on it if you do find yourself there. There are a zillion great restaurants in Richmond, though.

Casa Pearl is open. I had dinner there a couple of weeks ago. It is a favorite. Small and they don’t take reservations so it’s good to have a backup plan.

Last edited by Birdie; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 05:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdie
On your way up to Richmond, you might consider Merroir. Fall is a great time to sit outside overlooking the river and eat oysters. It’s very relaxed and out in the boonies but we all make the drive cuz we know it’s worth it. Their sister restaurant, Rappahannock, in Richmond is temporarily closed but you should check on it if you do find yourself there. There are a zillion great restaurants in Richmond, though.
I absolutely second the rec for Merroir.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Birdie, for the suggestions. I was particularly looking forward to the Wyeth exhibit, but alas, the airbnb owner decided to cancel our reservation, so now I'm scrambling to find either another airbnb or a new destination.