Grand Canyon Arizona sightseeing during Covid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2020, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have friends visiting me over the Labor Day holiday. I live just outside of Phoenix. They have never been to Arizona and I personally have not seen a lot in my short time here. I wanted to take them to Antelope Canyon, Page and Grand Canyon to do some sightseeing but as we all know we are in difficult times. I read Antelope Canyon is closed. What's the latest on whats open and closed. My friend has a 12 year old son and I would like to show them a good time to but safely. Help!
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 06:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Please use the official .gov website to find out what is open currently. It could change. My DW and I went to the Grand Canyon and Sedona in November. We used a motel in Flagstaff as our base which worked pretty well for day trips. We also visited the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff which may be of interest to the son.
We used the shuttle buses from the huge parking lot at the visitor center at the south rim. They may not be running due to crowding.
We also had lunch in Winslow and took a picture "Standin on the Corner" with the statue of Glen Frey. If you check my profile you can view my trip report.
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree. Check the National Park website for the latest updates. Are you planning to day trip or spend the night? I loved staying right at the Grand Canyon, in the park. We have also stayed in Sedona and enjoyed it very much. I am not sure if any of the Jeep tours are running, but we did Pink Jeep in Sedona and it was fun!
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, booked a hotel in Page, the headed to the Grand Canyon. I’ll check the parks website for closures,
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 04:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There are a couple of worthwhile sight in Page. Again, check what's available.

There's a 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend. It's been years since I was there so things may have changed. It was free to park your car and the hike could get hot. Go when the sun is high in the sky so the water below isn't in shadows. To get an idea do a search for Horseshoe Bend. But be careful. When I was there they had no fence or anything to stop somebody from just walking off and almost 1,000 feet down. I went to Google maps and it looks pretty much the same except there were quite a few people. When I was there about half a dozen people were there.

And if you go north on 89 from Horseshoe Bend for a few minutes max you'll come to a short loop road called Scenic Road. The spot used to be called "the best dam view". Again it was free. This gives you a great view of the Glen Canyon Dam.

Page is a relatively new town. It was build to house the workers who built the dam.I'll probably get slammed but of all the sights in the area, Grand Canyon is my least favorite. You have a lot of red rock hiking all around Sedona. Just beautiful.

I don't know what is open and what isn't but Utah has five national parks strung along the southern part of the state.

Antelope Canyon would be a treat but I can see why it's closed.

Page is less than 2 hours from Zion National Park.

Old Aug 31st, 2020, 04:37 AM

In Page, see if they are running the half day raft trips on the Colorado river from the dam to Lees Ferry (where the outfitters put in for trips through the canyon)